Bolt on vs. weld on sliders

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Something I'm considering as I'm starting to design sliders for the T100 is the factor of future corrosion.

My reason for preferring bolt-on is that I don't want to weld to my frame as it requires paint removal and repainting. It seems like no matter how hard I try, I can't match the durability(and resistance to rust) of the frame paint Toyota originally put on my truck. In addition, if I weld my sliders on it will damage the paint/coating inside of the boxed frame... something I can't repaint and seal against corrosion. Indiana loves their road salt and the last thing I need is my frame corroding from the inside-out.

Bolt on will allow me to not disturb the factory frame painting inside the box as well as on the outside.

Now, if someone has a recommendation on how to keep the interior of the frame from becoming vulnerable to rust, I'm all ears. I'd much prefer welded on from a constructability standpoint.

Regards,
Joel

david despain

Adventurer
joel do you have any holes that you can use to gain access to the inside of the frame box sections? if so might i suggest to use waxoyl. http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

its commonly used in the rover world.
speaking of rovers and sliders (to stay on topic).... this is an interesting subject. by far and away the most common style of sliders is bolt on and interestingly enough they dont even bolt to the frame but to the body. usually in a U shaped channel around the door sill. this is mostly just due to the fact that it is the easiest and best "return on investment". it is a compromise on strength but for 99% of people they work fine. i'm trying to remember if mcvick has them on his disco maybe he will post up if he does.

IMO the most important thing is not bolt or weld but proper design. in the rover case the most proper (but not perfect) design is bolt, and not even to the frame.

ps bootzilla was that a freelander?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater