Bottle jack considerations

chirigringo

Adventurer
My LR3 comes with a factory scissor jack that I'm planning to replace with a more stable bottle jack. Looking around I'm finding a wide range of capacities for decent prices. At first I figured a 2 ton would be adequate for tire changing and save some space and weight. Of course, then I started over-thinking it and finally decided to search and inquire the ExPo knowledge base. The LR3 has an ARB bumper and steel sliders so it is a bit over factory weight. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
-Michael
edit: Moderators-if this should be under recovery or some other topic, please feel free to relocate it.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
get a bottle jack out of an D1, D2 or P38 Range Rover.

Mine works very well. it should pick your LR3 up pretty easily. They should be pretty cheap at any junkyard. The nice thing is they were designed to lay on their side, so it won't leak fluid all over.:elkgrin:

Murfman

Observer
I went with this:
DSC02122.jpg

It is a Harbor freight "Race" jack, I made the upper saddle out of 2x6x.120 wall rectangle tube and notched it to fit around mw axle trusses:
DSC02119.jpg

For off road use I found a vendor on Pirate that makes this skid for the bottom:
DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

Between this and my HiLift I feel pretty confident about my jacking capabilities. The Harbor freight jack is VERY stable and works well on most surfaces.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
The Harbor freight jack is VERY stable and works well on most surfaces.

I've looked at those Harbor Freight jacks for a while. I like them because they are inexpensive and light. But I have a full size duramax pickup. It weighs almost 7,000 lbs empty. I figure once I have the larger fuel tank, water, camping and recovery gear it'll be pushing 8,000 to 8,500. And a lot of that is on the front with the Duramax up there. So when I consider 1. lifting even a front corner of my treasured vehicle and 2. erratic Chinese quality control and 3. Chinese metallurgy together I get scarred pretty quick. :Wow1: Plus... Isn't that jack one of the "rapid lift" (i.e. few strokes for significant movement)?

What vehicle/weights have you been lifting? With the rapid lift how hard is it to pump and light the vehicle?

Thanks in advanced for the info.

herm

Adventurer
i have one of those jacks from norhern industrial. it worked great for my 85' transam but when i came time for a 72 wagoneer, i thought it was not quite up to the task of lifting it. I would not use one for a full size truck unless i was on a concrete floor with jack stands.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
My dad and I both keep a 2 ton bottle jack in our 3/4T Dodges, just for tire changes.

You're only lifting one corner of the rig when changing a tire, so a 4K pound jack is fine for most vehicles.

Like mentioned, buy a quality made one, I have seen cheaper ones leak oil when stored on their side, also had one that would drop unexpectedly.

I also carry a 12" square chunk of 3/4" plywood, for soft ground, and a couple chunks of 4x4 and 2x4.

chirigringo

Adventurer
Well I guess before I sell my DII I better test the jack on the LR3 to see how it will fit up, both for storage and for lifting. I know there is some dead space under the hood. It definitely will not fit in the same spot as the scissor jack. I'll report my findings.

Murfman

Observer
I've looked at those Harbor Freight jacks for a while. I like them because they are inexpensive and light. But I have a full size duramax pickup. It weighs almost 7,000 lbs empty. I figure once I have the larger fuel tank, water, camping and recovery gear it'll be pushing 8,000 to 8,500. And a lot of that is on the front with the Duramax up there. So when I consider 1. lifting even a front corner of my treasured vehicle and 2. erratic Chinese quality control and 3. Chinese metallurgy together I get scarred pretty quick. :Wow1: Plus... Isn't that jack one of the "rapid lift" (i.e. few strokes for significant movement)?

What vehicle/weights have you been lifting? With the rapid lift how hard is it to pump and light the vehicle?

Thanks in advanced for the info.

The rapid lift is only active with no load. Once the jack sees weight it goes back to a normal pump function. I have never had an issue lifting my 2500 qcsb ram with a V 10. The jack is rated at 3000 lbs and my tires are rated at 3195 so if the jack can't lift a corner of the truck I'm overloading my tires as well. I do have a 20 ton bottle jack that I keep for emergency use as a last resort as they are way too unstable IMHO

It is an issue close to home with me as 7 years ago my wrangler fell off a bottle jack and jackstands and fell on my chest breaking 4 ribs.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
It is an issue close to home with me as 7 years ago my wrangler fell off a bottle jack and jackstands and fell on my chest breaking 4 ribs.

Well that is one lesson I'd like to learn second hand from you and not be pigheaded enough to have to learn on my own! Glad you are o.k.!

DennisNYS

Murfman , is there anyway you could get me the contact info re. the vendor who sells those jack pans ?
Sure would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad