Bought then Built XJ for EXPO and etc

GenPatTuck

I am on here every so often looking at cool new ideas for expo and cargo storage. The Europeans really have some great ideas and cool ways to stay outdoors in an off-road vehicle for long periods of time. This Cherokee build is inspired by all the fun and creative ideas I have seen people do to their own xj's plus from other off-road vehicle's as well. Most of the work done to mine has been done by me so this thread may take a while and be a bit wordy, but its like my diary of what has been done to this new hobby of mine.

I bought my 1996 XJ SE with an np231, HO 4.0, HP D30 and 8.25, AW15, crank windows and reach across door locks in September of 2009 for $500 from on ad on craigslist. The owner just wanted it gone where it had been sitting for several months with transmission problems. It was drivable but the lower gears were causing it to have the problems. I loaded it onto a trailer and took it home where it needed a tune up badly.
For the engine and transmission I did the following.
The spark plugs didnt have any nubs on them anymore and the rotor was completely worn out. I got new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
New oil and filter
I bought a '99+ intake manifold horse shoe style. Supposedly they are better for air flow and have more cc of air that can flow through them.
I replaced the air intake box with a cowl intake I made myself from 3" exhaust tubing I bought from Summit and silicone bends from silictaoneintakes.com. Although loud once its started, I can definitely feel the difference.
Replaced the cooling system with all new radiator, hoses, water pump and thermostat, fluid and electrical fan. Since I dont have the upgraded gauge cluster in, I cant say what temp it gets up to. I was able to raise the hood about an inch at the hinges with spacers to help the engine compartment release its hot air.
Got a new battery that kept going dead. I replaced 4 of them in just a couple of months. Never figured out the problem, but since it cycled its computer out after many starts and restarts I guess it fixed itself.
On the battery I put in a kill switch the ones with the red key you turn.
As for the problem with the transmission which turned out to be the shifting solenoids near the pan. New they were near a $1000, but found some online for $50. I replaced the trans fluid and filter put the pan back on and it runs great. Every so often it seems to slip but not enough to worry about.
Since the trans is kept cool with the radiator, I decided to install an external cooler that runs before the radiator. It seems to help it run better, but without a trans temp gauge I really cannot tell what the temp is.
New brown dog motor mounts as the OEM mount on the drivers side was completely missing its rubber.

As for the axles and transfer case, I upgraded them as well.
HP D 30 got new ball joints and lunch box locker with new diff fluid and new brake pads. I put in fully adjustable upper control arms from arcfab4x4.com (dont think they are in biz anymore).
The 8.25 got a lunch box locker as well with new diff fluid and new brake pads too.

The fuel tank got a new filter and I equipped it with a different vent tube from inside the tank to give it more gallons inside. Supposedly all the xj's have the same size tank, some of them came with the upgrade to make a completely full tank at 25 gallons. All that you need to do is follow this link http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

As for the interior of it, the carpet was heavily worn (which I replaced a couple of years later), seats, headliner and dash were in good condition as well. I bought many items to make the interior more my own. All these items were bought from other people on forums unless new like the speakers.
1. complete gauge cluster
2. vented windows
3. sound bar
4. new carpet and dash mat from a guy whose son rolled their xj and was parting it out
5. arm rest for center console and driver door (these were missing)
6. pass window crank (missing)
7. new speakers for doors and sound bar
8. cb radio and stereo (it was missing as well, probably stolen from previous owner)
9. cup holder
10. amp and 10" subwoofer
11. overhead light cover and bulb
12. boot that fits over the end of the sun visor to keep it from rattling and making it stay in place

So there may be other items I bought and forgot to mention but these are most of them. Now I will let you know the reasons why I bought each of these items for my interior
1. currently has dummy gauges. I need to take the new one in and have it re-calibrated to match the miles I currently have
2. vented windows - I always wanted them and one day I came outside to find the Jeep broken into. They tried to steal it, but with a dummy switch that made it impossible. They broke the drivers side pass 1/4 window and couldnt get the door open (it sticks) so went to pass front 1/4 window and broke that. Got inside and couldnt start it. Found a guy online who had what I needed. I installed them and love 'em
3. sound bar. Didnt have one and bought it for cheap
4. new carpet and dash mat. bought from a guy whose son rolled their xj and was parting it out
5. arm rest for center console and driver door. These were missing, bought on forum
6. pass window crank (missing)
7. new speakers for doors and sound bar. door speakers were missing and sound bar didnt come with speakers
8. cb radio and stereo (it was missing as well, probably stolen from previous owner)
9. cup holder. it didnt have one and got a deal on it
10. amp and 10" subwoofer. got a deal on these two. I built a box and later tossed it for a cargo area storage panel one I made
11. overhead light cover and bulb. didnt have one and got a deal on them both
12. boot that fits over the end of the sun visor to keep it from rattling and making it stay in place. missing as well, found on a forum

As for the exterior. The clear coat is gone and the green under it is in good shape but cracking. There are a few dents on it plus the ones I added from rock crawling. It came with a 3" lift and 31's. I put in a two inch spacer, a block in the back with 2" new leafs. A drop pitman arm was put in for the size of my lift which turned out to be about 5".
I changed out the 31's for 33's with steel wheels. They had Goodyears on them that were just about worn out. I found a good price on some Falken "wild peaks", kept the older tires I had and sold them to a kid on CL. I wasnt really happy with the new shoes. They didnt do well on-road but off they were great. Turns out that only having them with about 250 miles on them that they were stolen. One morning, my birthday, I came outside to go play racquetball with some friends and see the Jeep on blocks. Not much I could do but call insurance and the police. I was really glad they were stolen as I wasnt happy with those tires. I was able to get some aluminum wheels with Goodyear Duratracs from Discount from the claim I had made. Although loud, they are way better on the road and do great off-road as well, havent crawled in them yet.
I bought a new front bumper from L and L fabrication and for the price its way worth it. Just dont expect to get it for 3 months. It has room for a winch as well. There were flimsy nerf bars that I replaced with my own rock slides made from dom 1/4 wall tubing, they hold up pretty well.

Now here are the items I have recently finished
Cargo storage drawers for axle storage, camping and other items needed.
Was in a car accident a few months back which left me with the front axle 3" to the left. I had to replace the lower control arm brackets as well as upper control arm brackets I bought from Artec Industries here in AZ.
A new track bar (bought online and got a good deal) and track bar mount from website up in Minnesota. Very happy with it, but they took too long to ship it.
New Pro comp shocks and new steering box that completely leaked out by the time I made it home.

Items I would like to do soon:
1. new paint. havent decided on camo colors or staying with original color
2. possibly hood vents and removing hood spacers
3. making cargo area speaker box
4. upgrading and making a newer style cargo box.
5. contemplating rear chop top or splitting the rear hatch with a fold down tail gate
6. installing new gauge cluster and air intake manifold
7. putting in new exhaust manifold and flow master exhaust
8. rear main seal with oil pan gasket install
9. under dash gun storage
10. either a hybrid or interior only roll cage
11. rear quarter panel armor complete with brake light cover protection
12. rear bumper

I will add pictures to each of the items I have done. This is a really fun build, it just takes time and money to get it done.

Attachments

• my Cherokee.jpg
    my Cherokee.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 51

GenPatTuck

I bought a '99+ intake manifold horse shoe style. Supposedly they are better for air flow and have more cc of air that can flow through them.

I replaced the air intake box with a cowl intake I made myself from 3" exhaust tubing I bought from Summit and silicone bends from silictaoneintakes.com. Although loud once its started, I can definitely feel the difference.

Attachments

• intake manifold old to new.jpg
    intake manifold old to new.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 293
  • cowl intake install.jpg
    cowl intake install.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 46

xjman88

Adventurer
Nice xj man. I love the color as my zj is the same green. You will not be disappointed with the Duratracs. I am running the same size on my zj and they do very well in the rocks. I just put about 175 miles all offroad on mine over Memorial weekend. Sorry about the bad luck u have had and hope it gets better.

GenPatTuck

My old motor mounts on the drivers side were completely worn out to where I could physically move the engine myself. I found some from Brown Dog and put them in. They weren't terribly difficult to put in either.
I also got the carpet from a guy whose son rolled their jeep and it was in real good condition. He even bought an air freshener when he shipped the box.
And I installed a drop pitman arm once I added the spacer in the front.

Attachments

• A factory mm.jpg
    A factory mm.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 31
  • brown dog mm1.jpg
    brown dog mm1.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 32
  • drop pitman arm.jpg
    drop pitman arm.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 31
  • new carpet 1.jpg
    new carpet 1.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 32

GenPatTuck

It's been a while since I have updated or been on here. My jeep hasnt been driven since February of 2019. I have a sludge issue in my coolant and am having a heck of a time getting rid of it. I believe its an additive to a head gasket leak as it keeps getting worse. I am on the cherokee forum and a lot of people are giving me great advice. The only problem is getting to work on it. I have plenty of time but I live in Phoenix and its been really hot this summer. I got rid of an RV and that will free up some time to work on my XJ. Here is the link for the sludge in my system.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/major-problem-what-should-i-do-please-help-253215/

GenPatTuck

I am planning on plating the uni-body, putting in a beefier steering box (maybe on from a Durango), and building up my D30. I was reading that WJ knuckles are beefier as well as the unit bearing and brakes, so I might go that route. Complete it with chromolly 33 spline axles as well. I need to replace the metal gas tank with a plastic one and then add a tank skid.

I am planning on plating the uni-body, putting in a beefier steering box (maybe on from a Durango), and building up my D30. I was reading that WJ knuckles are beefier as well as the unit bearing and brakes, so I might go that route. Complete it with chromolly 33 spline axles as well. I need to replace the metal gas tank with a plastic one and then add a tank skid.

Interested to follow along.

Buy the Durango Box remanufatured through Oreilly. Comes lifetime warranty and they’ll swap it if the seal goes bad, internals get sloppy, etc. I’ve been satisfied. Get/fab an extra brace spacer in place of the stock as well.

Nate on the dirt lifestyle YouTube channel recently did a “super 30” build on a TJ with the WJ conversion and lots of input. I’ll keep an eye out for your progress

ZMagic97

Explorer
I understand the Phoenix heat as I also live here.

How’s your HVAC? My WJ blows cold but seems to take a lot of time to get and stay cool. I’ve been considering remove the interior carpet and headliner to add insulation.

DubyaD3

The 99+ manifold upgrade may be a myth...see link and excerpt below. Your performance gain is probably more from the exhaust mod than the manifold.

"'99-Up Horseshoe Intake
Myth: According to that great wealth of information that is never wrong, the Internet says you'll get a 5-30hp gain thanks to the '99-up 4.0L's swooped, equal length runners and larger plenum volume.
Our Thoughts: While a free-flow intake manifold can deliver more power, it's only going to allow as much air to flow as the cylinder head and camshaft will call for. Upping the intake runner volume too much will cause the intake charge to lose velocity, killing low- and mid-speed power and torque. On a '98-earlier engine running a stock camshaft and unported cylinder head, it's wasted effort.
Claimed Gains: 5-30hp
Actual Gains: 5hp loss on Trasborg's '98 XJ (Project Mileage Master)"

GenPatTuck

So I have some ideas about how to upgrade but not sure what to do first or do at all. This past weekend I flushed my cooling system to get rid of this brown gunk. I pretty much got rid of it all but there is residue left over and I am sure its all where I cannot see it. My water pump should still be good. I bought a new radiator and t-stat. I want to make sure that the residue doesnt come back so I will leave the radiator out in case I ruin it with more gunk.

Now back to the upgrades. I was thinking of upgrading the battery cables with fatter ones along with terminals and possibly another battery for external needs. Even though my axles are just fine. I am running 33's and stock gears. I will most likely keep the D30 and 8.25 and do some mild upgrades to them. The internal work will be the most expensive as I cannot do this work. I was thinking of upping the axle spline count to 30 and making them 4340 chromolly, new gears 4.10's and selectable locker - although I have been happy with the lunchbox locker. I would either have to buy a new one with 30 spline or see if a buddy can make mine into 30 spline.

GenPatTuck

I understand the Phoenix heat as I also live here.

How’s your HVAC? My WJ blows cold but seems to take a lot of time to get and stay cool. I’ve been considering remove the interior carpet and headliner to add insulation.

Sorry for the delay. My A/C has worked or blown cold since I have owned. I usually only drive it in the mountains in the summer and around town in the cooler weather.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Sorry for the delay. My A/C has worked or blown cold since I have owned. I usually only drive it in the mountains in the summer and around town in the cooler weather.

No worries! I actually found out my WJ had leaks between the upper and lower plenums. I resealed using a much better rubber seal and it has since been fixed.

GenPatTuck

It turns out after much research that I wont be doing splines on the axle of more than 30. In order to have more splines on an axle you have to have a bigger axle shaft.

I have sent my exhaust manifold in to get a Jet Hot coating on it. This reduces the engine temps by 60% and has a lifetime warranty.

The other items to check off are unibody frame stiffeners have been ordered, flushed the radiator a few times.

I went to the JY and found a 95 with good interior. I took the door panels (mine were badly worn) and I am going back as it has leather seats. The drivers is torn but is more comfortable than mine, the other seats are in great shape. Everything is electric and I read that someone took their electric seats and mounted them on non-electric mounts for a lower seat. This is helpful as i am 6'7" tall. It also had vent windows in great condition. Since it was electric, I couldnt get the pass. window down to remove the vent window. On my next visit I should be able to get it out by either breaking the window or bringing a small battery to connect to the window motor and roll it down.

I was looking at a winch for behind the bumper and BadDadFab out of Washington on CherokeeForum built a mount for the winch and is manufacturing them. $350 plus hardware and shipping. Not bad.

So my new list of what I want to do looks like this:
October/November
Check cooling system - new t-stat, new cap. Remove water pump and clean b/c of gunk from head gasket material additive.
Exhaust manifold install when it arrives soon.
Since this is out, clean engine and accessories.
Engine oil cooler - its hot here. There's a guy on here that did an external engine cooler with a fan.
Dec/Jan/Feb
Axle housing and axles D30 and 8.25 - Chromoly is an excellent solution but expensive for the shafts. Unfortunately you can't get those for the 8.25, they have to be 4340. The D30 will get an Artec truss, and 4.10 gears. The 8.25 will get a truss and gears too. They both have spartan lockers. Clean them up and paint. There may be a few more mods made to these axles.

GenPatTuck

On my ring app I saw a package delivered and left on my front porch. After an hour or so I looked at my ring app again and noticed it was gone (kind of like the scene on Speed with Sandra Bullock where Dennis Hopper is watching his tv monitors and notices the Asian lady's purse is there and then disappears). She called me to let me know that there was a package for me. My unibody stiffeners showed up from Next Venture Motorsports. Their an account of mine and gave me a good deal. I hope they work out well. I have heard that the unibody spray they put on from the factory can be a pain to get off. I have seen some only remove the spots that will get welded and others remove all the material that's under there. I have to cut off my rock sliders but before I do that I want to weld up some tabs on them and install some aluminum skid plates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater