Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Or was the idea that if the valve failed, the tray/clamp would keep the bottle secure, and by facing the valve away from passengers, you're preventing any injuries from gas/metal/etc escaping the leaking bottle?

This. I think the clamp would keep it in place if the regulator broke off or failed. It would make lots of noise and scare the piss out of anyone in the back for sure though. :)

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great pictures from last weekend. Also like many people that were born in the '70s, this brings back memories. Spent many trips riding under a camper shell.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Love the taco. I love the seats in the bed set up. How is it back there in winter and summer? Do you just open the window and let the ac/heat go to the bed? Have you thought about any kind of roll bar for extra protection in the back? And one last thing... Could you measure the distance of the drivers seat in the all the way back position to the rear seat. Curious how much leg room there is with it slid back

Box Rocket

Love the taco. I love the seats in the bed set up. How is it back there in winter and summer? Do you just open the window and let the ac/heat go to the bed? Have you thought about any kind of roll bar for extra protection in the back? And one last thing... Could you measure the distance of the drivers seat in the all the way back position to the rear seat. Curious how much leg room there is with it slid back

The bed seats are acceptable in the back. It's comfortable enough. Really hot days in the summer can get a little stuffy if the canopy is on. But yeah we just open the windows into the cab and blast the a/c back there, and open the wing windows on the top. Winter is a bit more tricky. We can blast the heat and get it back there, but there's a decent draft from between the cab and canopy so it isn't ideal. It's almost better to just leave the windows closed and just bundle up if you're back there in the winter. Might try some better approach to ducting hot air back there in the future.

Bed cage is in the works. The plan is for it to fit under the canopy so it can be in there permanently for year round protection. In the summer time the canopy can be off and I'll use a custom bikini top for shade over the rear seats.

I'll try to get leg room measurements.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Cool, thanks.

Down the road we want to get into a truck again. Had a 96 Tacoma, but with a baby we had to sell it due to not being able to get a carseat back there.

Trying to find a somewhat MPG friendly truck and the 1st/2nd gen Tacos are on there, along with a Frontier. I've seen the #'s and the gen 2 Taco is slightly bigger in the back. We plan on having a bigger family, roughly 4-5 kids so hauling everyone together is a concern. That's why the questions about the seats in the bed to see if it's doable.

I'm 6'3", so my seat is typically all the way back for leg comfort. We currently have two XJ's and it doesn't work well when someone other than a teenager to small child sits behind me. Just curious if the Taco is any better.

Our XJ will be fine for awhile, but once the kids get bigger it'll be tougher. I'm really digging the Gen 2.5 Montero with the third row as our expedition type rig...

How easy is it to remove the rear seats from the bed in case you need to haul something?

Box Rocket

Built this roof rack a couple days ago. I purchased a pair of Front Runner rack rails from Equipt Expedition Outfitters to use for mounting. Apparently these rails were one of two set left since these are now out of production. These rails are designed for a Hilux so the curvature of the roof is slightly different, but very close. I had to fabricate custom clamps that attach in the door frame since the Hilux ones won't work.

I like these rails because they are lower than using load bars/feet from Thule or Yakima and mounting a rack on top of the load bars. Also the feet runs the full length of the roof to distribute the load better. I guess these went out of production because it wasn't cost effective to produce the rubber extrusion for the mounting pads. I think there could be some ways to do something similar, but this is strong and there is no drilling the roof.

The rest of the rack is pretty simple but I wanted a low profile platform the reduce wind resistence (and I like how they look better). I recessed some tiedown tracks into the sides. Now I'm saving up for a lightbar to go across the front.

Roofrack_front.jpg

Roofrack_frntcrnr.jpg

Roofrack_pside.jpg

Roofrack_rear.jpg

Roofrack_rrcrnr.jpg

Roofrack_rrcrnr2.jpg

Details
roofrack_detail1.jpg

roofrack_detail2.jpg

roofrack_detail3.jpg

roofrack_detail4.jpg

roofrack_detail6.jpg

roofrack_detail5.jpg

roofrack_detail7.jpg

Box Rocket

Been building a few bedracks for people and thought it would be a nice touch to send a sticker along with the rack when it ships. Had these made up.

IMG_0770.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online