Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Box Rocket

They are 4.88's. That puts me 5% lower than stock size tires and factory 4.10s. Shouldn't be bad on the hwy. If it feels too low I guess I'll have to get some 37's......shucks. ;)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The line picked over the terrain is everything. In the picture of the tire lifted, I see several other lines that would not lift a tire at all.

Just saying.

Cheers

Box Rocket

The line picked over the terrain is everything. In the picture of the tire lifted, I see several other lines that would not lift a tire at all.

Just saying.

Cheers

Oh yes. It can easily be done without lifting a tire. Been there, done that. Sometimes you gotta play a little and find some "alternate" lines. ;)

Buckey06

Adam, I was looking at your land cruiser last Saturday outside of Moab Brewery. Trying to figure out your roof rack I tracked down your build thread and read it and your UCE3 post, very nice. How far off the roof is the rack? In the pictures it looks like it's close to touching.

Box Rocket

there is about 1.5" of clearance between the roof and the rack. My rack was the prototype and my Cruiser did not have a factory roofrack so we made it as low profile as possible. The production versions of the rack will be 1" taller than mine. It will still require removal of the factory rack side rails but it will clear the roof ribs just fine.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
there is about 1.5" of clearance between the roof and the rack. My rack was the prototype and my Cruiser did not have a factory roofrack so we made it as low profile as possible. The production versions of the rack will be 1" taller than mine. It will still require removal of the factory rack side rails but it will clear the roof ribs just fine.

That doesn't sound too good to me. Lower is better, can't figure why it would need to be 1" higher than what you have. Your rack looks really good, and if it
clears the roof.... As they say - a near miss is as good as a mile.

Box Rocket

That doesn't sound too good to me. Lower is better, can't figure why it would need to be 1" higher than what you have. Your rack looks really good, and if it

I doubt there will be much visual difference. And my truck doesn't have the rubber roof ribs. The majority of 80 series trucks have the factory rack, and even the ones that have removed the rack, still have the ribs. My rack would probably make contact with the ribs so the change to the production model is probably the right choice.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I thought lower was better when I built my rack. I didn't realize how big of a PITA it was going to be to bolt up my RTT, and I can't even fit the mounting claws for a Yakima storage box between the rack and roof because I built it so low. If I had to go back, I would probably go about an inch higher as well. Not sure how much space the prinsu rack has, but in the center of my rack I can't even put my finger under it.

Box Rocket

I can't argue that. Even with mine it's a challenge to get to the RTT mounting bolts. Not impossible, just a little challenging. I think the extra 1" of height in the production racks will be perfect.

Box Rocket

Are you doing the gears Adam?
Most likely I'll be pulling the diffs myself and dropping them off to Will C to be set up. I think I could do the set up but I'm missing a few of the necessary tools, and I know it will be done perfectly by Will so I think I'll have him do it.

Box Rocket

Ordered a snorkel today on Amazon. It's a Safari knockoff.....yeah I know, you get what you pay for. I have had a few safari snorkels in the past and the quality is great. We'll see how this one compares. For the cost, I won't be too hurt if it doesn't stack up. But if it's decent, I'm sure it will do the trick. I'll occasionally venture into deep water but I like the snorkel more for the help in the dust on the local trails as well as to reduce my intake temps which can get pretty toasty in the summer time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3