Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Looking good, Adam. Nice pictures (as always).

A buddy of mine has the same LR cup holder up front in his LX450, but just found these 3D-printed units. Thought you might be interested - http://www.bh3dprinting.com/

il_570xN.622180312_sgb0.jpg
toyota_double_cup_holder2.jpg

IMG_3369_zps67556ff4.jpg

The rear console unit has a small cubby underneath and a pen/flashlight holder in the middle.

20141122_205629_resized.jpg

Box Rocket

I finally got a shakedown run with the new 80 over the weekend. A couple weeks before I bought the cruiser my brother-in-law also bought one. He bought a really nicely built LX470 from my next door neighbor. So both of us needed to get some dirt miles on the new trucks and see how they were working. We loaded up our families and headed to Moab. It was a great time to be in Moab. Weather was pretty nice until today when it got cold and started snowing a little. There was almost nobody on the trails. We saw a few side-by-sides but that was it. It was great to have the trails to ourselves. We got a mild warm up trail on Hells Revenge on Friday. It was a fun day and I got to try Hells Gate and Tip-Over-Challenge. We skipped Escalator this time. My 14yr old Bjornn even got some seat time. I like to give him as much time driving on the trails as I can just to get him more comfortable behind the wheel before he starts driving for real in a year or so.
On Saturday we ran Kane Creek. It's been years since I've been on Kane Creek and it's become more difficult in a couple places on the canyon floor and the climb out of the canyon is a fun challenge with big ledges. We had a great time except for a couple moments of carelessness that resulted in a scratched rear flare. Otherwise a fun, uneventful trip. Here's some pics.
Hells Revenge

2scars

Adventurer
Wow the new truck is coming along great Adam. That is some impressive "Swimming", how deep did it get?

Brandon

Box Rocket

Wow the new truck is coming along great Adam. That is some impressive "Swimming", how deep did it get?

Brandon

That hole was a little deeper if I had gone further to the right. Where I went through was easily 4' deep. Water came up onto the side windows for a second.

Box Rocket

Nice rig, keep up the good work! What next?
Honestly, there's not a ton left to do. But I do have a list. Here's what I've got....
1: Rebuild front axle (seals/bearings etc)
2: R&R waterpump, PHH, rad hoses, coolant
3: Prinsu Roofrack
4: Tepui Autana Ruggedized RTT
5: Build second swingout with ladder for accessing roofrack
6: Repaint Hood
7: Winch.

Box Rocket

Hi Adam :wavey: love this build already and I'm only 3 pages in! Now I want a Cruiser too :D

He was a "Bad" influence on me as well. Now I have a 1996 FZJ 80 in my driveway and holes in my wallet. The modifications on mine start this weekend. Thanks for your input and help Adam!

Don't go blaming this on me. ;)
Update. Had the new "work" decals done to the cruiser today. Turned out nice IMO. Not too flashy but noticeable.

Very Cool! Can't wait to see the end result. :drool:

**Prinsu Design Roofrack teaser.** I can't begin to describe how freakin cool this rack is going to be. Zach Scott is doing a fantastic job with it. We test fit the very first set of 80 Series rails on my truck today. *Don't mind the backward TEQ" , the guys that laser cut it forgot to flip the logo for this side. It's getting fixed. Rails are 1/4" aluminum. Might be hard to tell in the pics but the rail has one bend in it. It sits in the rail and angles in toward the center slightly and then goes vertical. The rails will be powder coated right away. Crossbars are black anodized aluminum and they are BEEFY. I love how this rack runs the entire length of the gutter to spread the load over a much larger surface. You can see 4 sets of 4 holes on the rail (laid out in a square), these will be where the mounting feet attach. so it will be held to the truck with 4 feet per side. It will have a wind deflector across the front and I like how the angle of it matches the angle of the windshield. I mentioned this before but this rack with require removal of the OEM roofrack. I wanted it to be as low profile as possible and it's about as tight to the roof as we could get it without worrying about any contact.
Should have it powder coated and ready to go in the next 10 days or so. Just in time for an early spring Moab trip! Can't wait.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Nice, I like the black accent stripe. Different being high on the body. Not sure about the representing of the tent brand but I am sure you have your reasons for that. I think I am going MTR's on my next set of tires. Are they a true 35'? What do they measure on the truck once it is loaded? I am trying to decide on 35's (again) or 37's. I got some 35x12.5 Cooper STTs right now. After 20% wear and loaded they are measuring 33.5". I am looking at something more true to 35". I did also notice the BFG A/Ts in a 37 are only 36.2" or there abouts. I am sure once on the truck and loaded they will be under 36". Considering those too.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach