Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

indiedog

Adventurer
Hi Adam, this thread just keeps on giving, thanks.

I built my 5' x 4' trailer about 6 years ago now for a similar use to yours but with the RTT to be used as the lid of the trailer. Having twins after our single changed the plan somewhat so we bought a Jayco. Not quite the same unit and we are about to sell that. So it's back to the little box trailer.

Question for you. Your upper rack is a fixed system, that is all 4 legs and the rack are welded solid together. This scares me a bit as everything needs to stay totally square both in fabrication and in operation. As you've mentioned you need to keep it clean and greased to make sure it slides okay. I was thinking of having the legs on one side or end fixed to the rack at the top with the other end/side fixed to the rack through a slightly slotted bolt hole so that if the legs move at different rates then it doesn't all get out of alignment and lock up. A slightly more complicated approach but takes the necessity for fine tolerances out of the build equation. Be interested to hear others thoughts on that.

Also, looks like your lift is in the order of 300mm or 12inches. Yes? I was looking at twice that or a bit more. My rack would sit about 300mm/12inch above the top of the trailer. Trailer box is 500mm/20inch deep so that would give me a tube length of 800mm/32inch. Might have to play with that a bit to make it all work. Again thoughts appreciated.

So a bit of fab' to do on mine to get it sorted but I'm excited thinking I may still get to use the original trailer for what it was intended.

Cheers, Brad.

Box Rocket

Hi Adam, this thread just keeps on giving, thanks.

I built my 5' x 4' trailer about 6 years ago now for a similar use to yours but with the RTT to be used as the lid of the trailer. Having twins after our single changed the plan somewhat so we bought a Jayco. Not quite the same unit and we are about to sell that. So it's back to the little box trailer.

Question for you. Your upper rack is a fixed system, that is all 4 legs and the rack are welded solid together. This scares me a bit as everything needs to stay totally square both in fabrication and in operation. As you've mentioned you need to keep it clean and greased to make sure it slides okay. I was thinking of having the legs on one side or end fixed to the rack at the top with the other end/side fixed to the rack through a slightly slotted bolt hole so that if the legs move at different rates then it doesn't all get out of alignment and lock up. A slightly more complicated approach but takes the necessity for fine tolerances out of the build equation. Be interested to hear others thoughts on that.

Also, looks like your lift is in the order of 300mm or 12inches. Yes? I was looking at twice that or a bit more. My rack would sit about 300mm/12inch above the top of the trailer. Trailer box is 500mm/20inch deep so that would give me a tube length of 800mm/32inch. Might have to play with that a bit to make it all work. Again thoughts appreciated.

So a bit of fab' to do on mine to get it sorted but I'm excited thinking I may still get to use the original trailer for what it was intended.

Cheers, Brad.

What you describe probably isn't a bad idea but could also have some wiggle or slop in the setup that could feel strange when inside the tent and moving around. Not a big deal. I haven't had any real issues with how mine is built with the exception of a blown out gas strut and I'm positive that mine is not 100% square. There is enough room in the female tubes that the rack and legs move pretty freely and aren't wobbly. But it's a design that I'm sure could be improved.

My lift is closer to 18". I have almost the full depth of the tub, which is 18", for the legs to move.

Thanks for the compliments and good luck with your efforts.

Box Rocket

all that's cool, but I'm a believer in KISS. I definitely fall into the category of the last "S" so simpler is better for me and fortunately has always worked out.

Edit: in case you don't know the acronym....KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Box Rocket

all of which I don't have on mine and it works.

Not to say it's a bad idea. Sounds like a good one and someone should use it. I however, did not.

indiedog

Adventurer
It's one of those things, build it and see what happens. Thanks for the input. I ask the question out of experience. On my trailer I made a couple of high racks each consisting of one crossmember and two vertical legs that came down inside tubes as per your design. they can be real bastards to move at times when they get out of alignment and that's with just 2 legs so 4 is scaring me. You've done something though which I didn't and that's to add bracing where the leg joins the top platform. That may assist.

I'll keep looking at it. You are totally right, KISS is good. Just don't want it to be a PITA. :)

Box Rocket

I'll keep looking at it. You are totally right, KISS is good. Just don't want it to be a PITA. :)

I fully understand. There are some good suggestions given here if you want to try something different. Like I said before I'm not at all trying to give the impression that the way I did it is the best way or the right way to tackle this. I'm just lucky that it worked out for me and I'm glad it's given some of you ideas.

Please share whatever you decide to do.

dstock

Explorer
Mcmaster sells them with studs.

Where is everyone getting the mounting tabs for the gas struts with threaded studs? My google foo is failing me...

Great build! I will be doing a similar RTT rack for my M101A1.

Thanks.
-Dave

Phoenix

Adventurer
Where is everyone getting the mounting tabs for the gas struts with threaded studs? My google foo is failing me...

Great build! I will be doing a similar RTT rack for my M101A1.

Thanks.
-Dave

I got mine from McMaster. You may want to check out my M101A3 build. All the good ideas came from Box Rocket's build, all the mistakes are mine.

I occasionally have an issue with misalignment, holds me up for a good 5 - 10 seconds.

dstock

Explorer
I got mine from McMaster. You may want to check out my M101A3 build. All the good ideas came from Box Rocket's build, all the mistakes are mine.

I occasionally have an issue with misalignment, holds me up for a good 5 - 10 seconds.

Oh believe me, I have been checking out your build as well. Nice work!

I was looking around on McMaster but can only find the ones that go with the ball socket strut versions, maybe I am just calling it the wrong thing?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Man, I love your build and your extendable rack. I'm a long time lurker and been following your build for a whole. I'm hopefully on the verge of doing my own build, I'll find out in a week, but I'm totally inspired by your rack system. The binding is something that I'm curious about so I've been following yours. I was thinking of using ball joints on the top of each post. This would give the rack some movement, so wouldn't need to add some tolerance/slop in the system.

Last edited:

bajalenny

Wow u again !!!! Hey Adam i built the tacoma like yours from Tacoma forum a couple years ago now im getting ideas for a ADV trailer, I like the Outlander Shapa II with the steel frame and aluminum box with the ft basket area in ft, so Adam do you have any idea what is the measurements are on a Outlander, Thanks Lenny

Box Rocket

Wow u again !!!! Hey Adam i built the tacoma like yours from Tacoma forum a couple years ago now im getting ideas for a ADV trailer, I like the Outlander Shapa II with the steel frame and aluminum box with the ft basket area in ft, so Adam do you have any idea what is the measurements are on a Outlander, Thanks Lenny

Sorry Lenny. I'm familiar with the Outlander Sherpa trailers but I've never seen one in person so I don't have any measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven