Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

I guess I forgot to update this thread with a recent change. I decided it was time to color match the trailer to the Cruiser. I had a couple cans of Toyota code 1A6 mixed into spray cans and shot the trailer with it along with several coats of clear. Definitely not a 'pro' job but turned out ok.

Box Rocket

I've been demo-ing a new product for the past week and wanted to share just a bit about it and get a little feedback/thoughts from anyone who would like to weigh in. It's a cargo drawer system that is more universal than a "specific fit" unit but it has some nice features. These have been getting a lot of use with Law Enforcement units because of the security aspects (LE models have a touchpad combo lock). The construction is all aluminum and so far from my experience it is very strong. It uses heavy duty slides for the drawer. Moveable dividers to accommodate a variety of configurations inside the drawer. It has a total of 24 nutzerts around the outside making for easier mounting and the top row also accommodates an optional "fence" that wraps around the two sides and the back to make a sort of "basket" on the top of the drawer for items you want to carry on top. The "fence" has many tie-down spots so that lashing gear on top of the drawer is simple. My original plan was to use this primarily in the back of my 80 Series Land Cruiser. It is a nice fit in the rear cargo area between the wheel wells and nearly fills the entire cargo area. But last night I put it in the back of my trailer. I apologize I was in a bit of a rush and didn't get any photos of it in the trailer but it's a near perfect fit in my trailer. Dimensions are approx. 42" wide x 38" deep x 14" high or thereabouts.
What I'm liking so far with my trailer (since it still has no lid) is the lockable security and weatherproof aspect of it. It fills about 2/3 of the inside of my trailer and I still have room for a few of my bins to fit on top of it and then the other 1/3 of the trailer to pack as needed. I can see this being very versatile for a lot of trailer builds (which is why I'm posting it here).
In the effort to be completely transparent, I don't currently have any affiliation with the company other than just demo-ing the product but in the future I may work with the company as a dealer/rep, assuming I decide to go ahead with it. So take my comments as you will for now, but I'd love to hear any feedback you might have from just seeing them at a glance. There are a couple other drawers/boxes they sell also that are very nice too.
Here's the one I'm using.

See more images here. The first 6-7 images are the drawer I am using.
http://diabolicalinc.com/products.html

Box Rocket

for the price of that build a lid. yikes
I'm not looking at it as a replacement for building a lid. I'll still end up building a lid at some point. If you've priced out any of the non-DIY drawer systems out there the price actually isn't that bad. One of the others I looked at that is similar is the TruckVault which is about double the price of these.

Xrunner

Explorer
$850 for that doesn't seem bad at all... I've looked at the truckvault versions at shows before and they seem to run about $2k for a similar project.

I've been looking to add a small one to the back of my SUV and another wide one like this to the trailer for some organized storage.

Box Rocket

$850 for that doesn't seem bad at all... I've looked at the truckvault versions at shows before and they seem to run about $2k for a similar project.

I've been looking to add a small one to the back of my SUV and another wide one like this to the trailer for some organized storage.
Yep me too. They have one that is narrower than this so you could either stack them or run one on just one side and have room next to it for a fridge etc.

shack

Adventurer
I'm running one of these Diabolical drawers also. Seems pretty well made, but I'm probably going to dump it because its interfering with my platform plans. Mine was a prototype I picked up at Expo for a steal of a deal. Had to replace the slides in it, which they included, but because of the folded construction and rivets they use I have a bunch of aluminum shavings between the walls.

Edit: Mine also doesn't have the nutserts. Those seem like a great idea

Box Rocket

I'm running one of these Diabolical drawers also. Seems pretty well made, but I'm probably going to dump it because its interfering with my platform plans. Mine was a prototype I picked up at Expo for a steal of a deal. Had to replace the slides in it, which they included, but because of the folded construction and rivets they use I have a bunch of aluminum shavings between the walls.

Edit: Mine also doesn't have the nutserts. Those seem like a great idea
Interesting. I wonder if the shavings etc were just a byproduct of it being a prototype? The Nutzerts are definitely a nice feature. The one aspect that I'm not a fan of for my personal use is the lift top cover of the drawer itself. The idea is to still have a "work surface" when you pull the drawer out, which could be really nice for some, but for me it's a bit redundant to pull the drawer out and then still have to lift a cover to get to the contents. Fortunately, its just an option so it can be ordered with or without the lift top.

shack

Adventurer
the shavings in mine were my own doing. I had to do a bit of drilling to get the old slides out, thus the shavings. Mine didn't come with the lift top, but it does have the dividers, though they are about 1/8" too short to function properly. Again, a prototype.

Box Rocket

Been a long time since I've changed anything on my trailer, but tonight the telescoping rack was removed and I started construction of a lid finally. Plan is a lid that will be roughly 10" high so that I can still use my bins and stack them 2 high inside. I'll get some pics later but so far the main lid frame is built and the hinges are in place. The lid will include a rack for the RTT. Looking forward to having an enclosed trailer after all these years.

dstock

Explorer
Looking forward to the lid build, trying to come up with something for my M101A1 but I'm keeping the elevated rack just to make things complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven