Brad's Consolidated King Kamper Trailer Thread

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Sgt Grunt said:
You're getting me all fired up Brad!!!!! I may have to reconsider selling...

Great thread and pictures.

We need to put together a trailer rally.

Ha! :sombrero: Sounds like fun to me. Maybe in the spring or next summer I can plan trip up to your part of the country. There are a couple more KK's around that might want to join us. :luxhello:

Of course we may even allow an AT or two in the group. :elkgrin:

4hilux

Observer
Brad, yours has a slightly differant hitch than mine - yours got drum or cable operated brakes, instead of the std hydraulic discs.........??

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
4hilux said:
Brad, yours has a slightly differant hitch than mine - yours got drum or cable operated brakes, instead of the std hydraulic discs.........??

You got it. For the ones KK imported to the US they switched to the Dexter Axles and Drum brakes for ease of parts replacement in the US. The disk brake set up would be nice but the drums I have are doing a good job.

I have them controlled by an in cab brake controller so I keep the surge brake lever on the hitch flipped over to disable the surge brake function. The cable actuation is only used for setting the parking brake. Normal braking is still electric actuated drum.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Snow driving anyone?

By the way, last year I bought two sets of Snow chains for my 4Runner and trailer. I'm hoping to find an opportunity this winter to do some snow camping in the local mountains.

Dec252007005.jpg

Dec252007002.jpg

4hilux

Observer
Hmmm, ok - draws on the wrong side, & DRUM brakes - those Aussies ripped you guys huh.........:)

On a serious note, the chains look good - does that 4Runner of yours have ABS??

I'm not going to comment on that stove in the awning (in relation to you needing to toughen up a bit............) :)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
4hilux said:
Hmmm, ok - draws on the wrong side, & DRUM brakes - those Aussies ripped you guys huh.........:)

On a serious note, the chains look good - does that 4Runner of yours have ABS??

I'm not going to comment on that stove in the awning (in relation to you needing to toughen up a bit............) :)

I knew somebody would comment on my sissy grill instead of cooking over the fire. Thanks for not disapointing me. After dipping into my Bourbon, it's safer for me to stay back from the fire. So it's really just a safety thing......really. :elkgrin:

Yes, the 4Runner has ABS and traction control, are you thinking the chains should go on the front if only running one pair?

The chains on the trailer will help with both braking control as well as lateral stability if on a side slope.

Last edited:

4hilux

Observer
Glad I did'nt disappoint ya then........:)

Yeah mate, you are dead right with what you're saying on having chains on the camper tires - all good!!

Re the mighty 4Runner - with ABS, & only chains on one end - be carefull on any icey covered HARD surfaces. The chains give a bigger rolling diameter, this then makes the ABS system throw a hissy fit, which can make braking distances extremely long. On a soft surface, you won't have hassles, as the chains will 'sink' into the ground till the tire tread makes contact .......

Yip, if only one set 9(& especially if towing) - having them on the REAR is best IMHO - just be aware of the lack of steering though if its icey.

On my Hilux, I've fitted a switch to the ABS, so it can be turned off when it really does needs to be off.........

Hope all that makes sense Brad.

Remember - a multi-meter & sidecutters ARE your friends with the modern 4WD vehicle........;)

Popular thread huh...........

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
4hilux said:
Glad I did'nt disappoint ya then........:)

Yeah mate, you are dead right with what you're saying on having chains on the camper tires - all good!!

Re the mighty 4Runner - with ABS, & only chains on one end - be carefull on any icey covered HARD surfaces. The chains give a bigger rolling diameter, this then makes the ABS system throw a hissy fit, which can make braking distances extremely long. On a soft surface, you won't have hassles, as the chains will 'sink' into the ground till the tire tread makes contact .......

Yip, if only one set - having them on the rear is best IMHO - just be aware of the lack of steering though if its icey.

On my Hilux, I've fitted a switch to the ABS, so it can be turned off when it really does needs to be off.........

Hope all that makes sense Brad.

Remember - a multi-meter & sidecutters ARE your friend on the modern 4WD vehicle........;)

Popular thread huh...........

Appreciate you sharing your experience and wit.

I have seen the mods you can do to disable ABS on the 4Runner. Haven't needed to yet but I know how to if I get into a situation that calls for it.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Speaking of being a sissy

Since my manhood was already brought up, I figured I might as well post up the fact this also has a diesel heater. Here's how I set up the fuel supply to feed the heater. The heater is super efficient so a 20 liter supply would last several days in very cold conditions. The special fuel supply vented cap for the Sceptor fuel can keeps everything nicley sealed so no fumes to smell.

RichmondBasin07050.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I got a chance to take the KK out in the snow and test out the Tule chains. We only were in about 4-5 inches of snow but after the snow meltled and refroze, they really helped on the icy mountain roads. :victory:

Rolling into camp:

Dec282008052.jpg

The set up:

Dec292008039.jpg

Dec292008041.jpg

Warm and comfy:

Dec282008044.jpg

Dec282008043.jpg

Heading home:

Dec312008001.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
OK, back to spring camping with the Quick awning on for the summer. :sombrero:

This was on a ridge between Gardner and Cave Creek canyons SE of Tucson.

GardnerCanyon090068.jpg

GardnerCanyon090075.jpg

GardnerCanyon090059.jpg

GardnerCanyon090038.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Just tacking on pics from the latest camping trip back at Richmond Basin. Dave and Tim joined me as they passed through on their way to Moab.

New Camera = better pics :wings:

524334869_NyTmJ-X2.jpg

524345703_fytNy-X2.jpg

524342479_czdAe-X2.jpg

524336982_Ko4Ko-X2.jpg

524337463_pThjR-X2.jpg

And after they headed North to Moab...Just me and the bowser. :elkgrin:

524345710_tqxAv-X2.jpg

PS. New LED light strip under the awning roof worked out great. Plenty of light, low energy usage, and no bugs. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online