Bradshaw Trail...February 6th,7th,8th,and,9th

M

modelbuilder

Alright, we have nice large crew set out to go so it is probably wise to close the trip to additional rigs.

If anyone drops out before hand I'll let ya all know.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
What a bummer if you guys were doing Friday-Sunday I would have been all over this but I just cant take that Monday off work. I look forward to your trail review and pictures!!

M

modelbuilder

It would have been a treat for you guys to come. When I first became interested in expeditions your website was the first I came across.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Miss R2FJ said:
What a bummer if you guys were doing Friday-Sunday I would have been all over this but I just cant take that Monday off work. I look forward to your trail review and pictures!!

I'm not taking Monday off. I am turning around after rooting through the Geode beds and returning home. The entire trail is only 70 miles long and it seems like there are paved roads not terribly far from it. We should be able to get home in 4 or 5 hours or so I figure. Kids got school on Monday!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
nwoods said:
I'm not taking Monday off. I am turning around after rooting through the Geode beds and returning home. The entire trail is only 70 miles long and it seems like there are paved roads not terribly far from it. We should be able to get home in 4 or 5 hours or so I figure. Kids got school on Monday!

True, but I live in Phoenix so I would have to continue on the trail anyway to Blythe and then on home. Plus my weekly schedule is Fri-Sun off anyway so that would still leave Friday as a wasted day for me. Looks like I'll just have to get an AZ run for this together sometime. :smiley_drive:

cbradley

Adventurer
I'm "nwood's friend." I will be going the same days as nwoods. Thanks for letting me tag along. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

luk4mud

Explorer
Anyone know a good but cheap nearby motel to spend the night at Friday night or a good camp spot?

socaljeeper

Adventurer
luk4mud said:
Anyone know a good but cheap nearby motel to spend the night at Friday night or a good camp spot?

My only guess would be to find a hotel in Indio somewhere. If you want to camp, Anza Borrego is about 25-30 miles south from where we are meeting. You probably can find somewhere to camp out there.

Michael

Adventurer
taugust said:
Most of the main trail is graded dirt and easy, unless the weather is bad.
<snip>

And from another post on this forum, the common way in is now gated off at the canal.
I was just on the Bradshaw Trail last weekend. I had also heard that the usual access route from Salton Sea to the Coachella Canal on the way to Salt Creek (access to Bradshaw Trail) was closed. I explored some alternate routes near the usual Parkview access and there are 3 or 4 easy ways to get to the access road. I'll post some GPS tracks of the alternate routes.

To my surprise, the Parkview route was still usable. It is true that the gate right at the canal road is closed, but there has always been a graded ramp to the immediate right of the gate. The ramp goes up onto the dike and is the route I usually take anyway. Also, there is a home-made sign about 200 yards before the Parkview access gate that says, in orange paint, "Access to the Canal" with an arrow to the left.

If you take the ramp, there are no signs or postings restricting travel anywhere along the route to the Bradshaw Trail. The road along the dike is separate from the road along the canal. After a few miles, there is a ramp down into the desert and a trail that follows the fenced portion of the canal to the Salt Creek/Bradshaw trailhead. There were quite a few vehicles (including RVs) on the trail when I was there.

As there are a large number of access routes to the canal road, it is hard to figure why the Parkview gate, and several others along the canal north of Parkview, are closed.

The Red Canyon slot canyons are great to explore and the Red Canyon Trail along the ridgeline has some spectacular views. It is too late tonight to figure out how to upload some tracks (uploads are very limited). PM me and I'll email them to you or check back in a few days and I'll have figured out a way to link the file.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Just checking in and making sure everyone made it over from the server move. Just over three weeks away. :D

M

modelbuilder

A little more than three weeks!!!

I am looking forward to it. If anyone wants the mapsource file let me know.

Joe

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
You can camp near by in Painted Canyon. That's what we did the night before. It's beautiful.

Here http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/joshuatree/html/paintedcanyon.htm
I agree, that is a great place to camp and explore!

Have fun, I was just on Bradshaw/Red Canyon/Red Canyon Ridge trail a couple weeks ago.

As far as access at the West end, a little bit of exploring always seems to work to get you around the canal. Fences and gates seem to change every time I'm there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design