Brake and Transmission lights flash. FIXED

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
THIS WAS FIXED BY REPLACING THE ALTERNATOR

This is the second time its done it.
Once last week and once this morning.
The brake and transmission red lights flashed real fast at me. Fast enough to let me know they were there but not fast enough to be able to read the script on the light. I actually had to look up which two light flashed at me on the owners manual.
Anyways , no drivability issues or changes whatsoever. The truck runs great as it always has. I checked the tranny fluid and the brake fluid and they are both full and clean. I'm just confused why these lights flashed on real quick.
I have never seen these lights come on in the ownership of my Montero.
Has anyone experienced this ? Is it a sign for issues to come ? How can the two be related ?
A little history on the truck if it helps. I had a CEL light go on a year ago and read the codes.
P0161 ( 02 sensor bank 2 ) ...... I have replaced the O2 sensor.
P0500 ( Vehicle speed sensor )...... I have not looked into this.
Only other issue with the truck is the flashing 4x4 lights ( however the 4x4 work perfectly ) and my cruise control does not work (maybe the P0500 code?)
The truck in question is a 1997 Montero LS 3.5 SOHC
Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Rustedrebel09

I'm getting the same thing except I also have the batt. Light come on, and they don't blink they stay on. I would like to know the cause as well.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Not sure if it's related or not but this afternoon at a stoplight the truck shut off. No rough idling or anything... it just shut off. I was able to start it right away and drive off with no issues. Looking for some input from you experts. Tomorrow I'll try to go and get the codes re-read.

Also , the lights flashed once today and the Battery light also flashed along with the other two. This time it happened upon some heavy acceleration getting on the freeway. No stuttering or loss of power just the lights flashed. :(

Last edited:

red97rum

This same thing happens on my 1992 Eagle Talon (same as mitsu eclipse) when the alternator is dying. Seems to be a Mitsubishi thing.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Well I think I figured this out. (kinda silly really)

I noticed the other day when I put the key on accessory without starting the truck those same 3 lights are lit.
In my creative process my mind told me its either the ignition switch coming lose somewhere internally somehow causing the truck to shut off or briefly think its shut off or something is up with the battery. The battery keeps a solid ~14.3 volts when driving around so I did not suspect the alternator quite yet.
I know I put a new battery and new clamps in the truck 4 months ago and figured the chances of it being bad are slim but something told me to check anyways.
The positive clamp on my truck has two top bolts where you can add accessories. Well the battery hooks that hold the battery had worked themselves lose , letting the battery slide backward and forward into it's tray when under high acceleration or heavy braking. The positive clamp with all my power wires kept on being rammed onto the plastic tray to the point of loosening a few of those bolts on the positive connection clamp. I tightened everything down and I'll monitor it over the next couple of weeks since this was a seldom problem anyways.

Edit: A few hours later after tightening my cables the problem persist.
I am now able to pinpoint exactly when this happens.
I have a volt meter that you can plug into a cigarette lighter that will read the voltage constantly. So I plugged it in and monitored the voltage on the way home.
So driving home I noticed that under normal driving the voltage stays at a normal 14.2-14.5 volt but as soon as I get hit the gas and bring the RPMs to 4000 RPMs the three dash lights came on , my headlights dimmed and the voltage dropped to 11.8-12.5. Once I released the gas and the truck downshifted back to a normal pace the voltate would go back to normal and the dash light would go away. I was not able to notice this before because coming home from work up until this past Saturday it was sunny outside. Today was the first day I drove home in the dark and was able to see a voltage drop.
Could the alternator be failing at high RPM and run fine at low RPM?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven