Broken Ashcroft HD axles or CVs? Who's done it?

Riflman

Observer
Anyone here who's upgraded to Ashcroft HD axles/CVs broken one? If so, what were the circumstances and what lockers were you running? Thanks!

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Maybe post the same onto Pirate... you might get a few bites then but to be honest it'd not be realistic for an 'expo' vehicle as you don't tend to see 44" boggers on them :Wow1:

Fit the Ashcrofts & relax..... Dave stands behind his products & is a top bloke :victory:

Riflman

Observer
I really wasn't expecting any as I haven't heard of any before. That's the point of the thread. I have been encouraged to look at a Toyota conversion but I think upgrading from TT's to ARBs and adding Ashcroft axles and CVs will be just as good. I have 285 SSR's now (34" tires) and doubt I'll be going bigger any time soon. The truck is getting a bit top heavy and I really don't think it's necessary with swaybars removed/disconnected, the 3" RTE lift and Bilstein 7100's. I'm pretty happy with everything except the front axle's TT that will not engage when one front wheel is off the ground even if the other has decent traction. I already have 4.11's so selling the T's and getting ARBs will not be that bad. I have a parts truck with spare axles and CVs and a powertank so I can either wait to get axles and take a chance on the factory ones or do them right away. I'm not really keen on putting toyota stuff under my Rover. I'm not keen on a Royota thank you very much. :)

Glad to hear the Ashcrofts are holding up just fine. :)

michaels

Explorer
the thing isn't the axles, necessarily. the ring and pinion can still break witht he rover stuff in it. with the rovota you won't break ANYTHING until you start getting bigger than 37s. justin at lucky 8 broke a R&P i believe at winter romp...

i'm sure you'll be happy with either, but i'm just lettin ya know.

Red90

Adventurer
The point of the Toy conversion is to get a stronger ring and pinion. With the aftermarket CVs and shafts, the ring and pinion will go before anything else.

On the TT thing, I'm still confused. A D2 has fairly decent traction control which should make the TT act pretty close to a locker. Are you running without traction control? Traction control and Truetracs work very well together.

TeriAnn

Explorer
The point of the Toy conversion is to get a stronger ring and pinion. With the aftermarket CVs and shafts, the ring and pinion will go before anything else.

Unless of course you have a Series truck with a Salisbury. Then you can drive by the Toys with broken pinions, and in the extremely rare chance you might break an axle, you can keep going while their semi floating axles fall off.

If you think different talk to Matthew Jackson at Advance adapters. He deals with owners of broken Toys all the time and has seen over and over where they are weaker.

And one of Advance Adapters latest products is an adapter going to the Series transfercase to provide Toy FJ folks with a transfercase strength upgrade path. 10 spline Rover axles suck big time, but Land Rovers also have some good parts.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
the thing isn't the axles, necessarily. the ring and pinion can still break

justin at lucky 8 broke a R&P i believe at winter romp...

The ashcroft axles held up with out an issue The R&P did not like the bouncing on the back tires :Wow1:

Red90

Adventurer
Unless of course you have a Series truck with a Salisbury. Then you can drive by the Toys with broken pinions, and in the extremely rare chance you might break an axle, you can keep going while their semi floating axles fall off..

Yes, TeriAnn, obviously a Dana 60 center is much stronger than a Toy center. A Toy center is probably 30% stronger than a Rover. Yes people break Toy center. Yes people break Dana 60s. Yes people break Rockwells.

The other big plus of the Toy center is that the factory lockers are quite low cost in comparison to getting a locker for a Rover. $1125 (http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_58&products_id=38) for a complete center with locker with 4.1 gearing.

revor

Explorer
Ahh now I'd challenge the 30% number. In real world abuse a 4000 pound truggy on 40's can't break them in BFE all hopping and jumping with a "heck it's the last day I'm gonna break it" attitude.. They're pretty darn strong.. Then again I've broken most everything doing silly stuff..:sombrero:

cooter

Unless of course you have a Series truck with a Salisbury. Then you can drive by the Toys with broken pinions, and in the extremely rare chance you might break an axle, you can keep going while their semi floating axles fall off.

If you think different talk to Matthew Jackson at Advance adapters. He deals with owners of broken Toys all the time and has seen over and over where they are weaker.

And one of Advance Adapters latest products is an adapter going to the Series transfercase to provide Toy FJ folks with a transfercase strength upgrade path. 10 spline Rover axles suck big time, but Land Rovers also have some good parts.

This makes no real sense at all. A Sal's only fits the back. You're stil left with a pretty crappy front diff. Besides, the Sal's stock axles are pretty weak. You still have to upgrade the axle shafts. By the time it's said-and-done, all you have is a tater plow.

SeaRubi

Explorer
This makes no real sense at all. A Sal's only fits the back. You're stil left with a pretty crappy front diff. Besides, the Sal's stock axles are pretty weak. You still have to upgrade the axle shafts. By the time it's said-and-done, all you have is a tater plow.

:rolleyes: LOL :xxrotflma

this thread is just going to keep getting better and better. I'd like to know how many Series owners are unhappy with their weak tater plows.

:lurk:

cheers,
-ike

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
This makes no real sense at all. A Sal's only fits the back.
Nope, Salisbury fronts were used on both Series Rovers and Defenders. Not real common, but some had them.
Series 3 1 Tons all had them
Salisbury front RH Stg - FRC3398
Salisbury front LH Stg - 59441

wyorover

ashcroft cv

I broke mine but i have to say it was my fault. and bill @ gbr took care of it for me.

with a lot of wheight on my front end ( winching a truck from a canyon below) i got feeling brave so i pulled it in revers for about 3 feet when it all came apart. got 1 cv,arb locker,and pushed my thrust bolt out destroying my housing and my ring gear. that was the first for me and my truck get used !!!

it sounded like it was somthing they havent seen often. they fixed me up and if i remember it right they never charged me a dime .

thanks bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3