"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
what are you planning on carrying? As I said, I had 2 16 year old boys, who are over 6ft tall and around 160-180, two sets of hockey gear, my wife, and I, and all our clothes etc in the jeep and drove 4.5 hrs each way and never found much of a difference. The only time I notice a sag in the rear of my Jeep is when I have the pop up connected. I am guessing my shocks did a much better job than either the sport or the rubicon shocks at controlling the extra weight on the trip. If I sagged 1/4 of inch that's it. With all that gear, im perfectly fine with that.

I was carrying:

Me 190lbs
Wife 1xxlbs
Dog 60lbs
Fridge 50lbs
Camp kitchen 40lbs
Gaming gear Negligible
Tools 50lbs
Hi lift AC and shovel 60lbs
Dual battery 40lbs
Shelf 40lbs.

So not that much. You can see that it's less than level here and we're all out of the jeep.

If it wasn't for the no modding for a year thing I'd have bought someone's AEV 2.5" lift for $500 off jk forum and some 285/75/17 bfg km2s on Moab rims for $600 off craigslist and be done with it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415999732.963848.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
weird. I had more than that in mine and never had much of an issue. I had 2 16 year old oafs that weigh 160 and 180 in the back seat, 2 40 lbs sets of hockey gear and four sets of travel bags about 20 each. So I had way more weight than you and I have the 59 springs.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
My JKUR had 18/59 springs with a soft top and factory tow package. I added an AEV tire carrier/rear bumper combo, a ARB bull bar and Warn winch and the Jeep turned in to a bottoming out low rider. The rear seemed stout enough but the front was not up to the task of the heavy bull bar and winch with cable. I was very troubled about suspension mods due to all the conflicting info out there and I almost just bought a leveling kit from Teraflex. Once I added my bull bar I knew that wouldn't work so I was going to order the AEV kit. From what I'd read with no first hand experience the progressive coil is the way to go. That's when I ran across an ad on line. I ended up buying a used EMU lift with medium heavy springs and I'm completely satisfied. The linear springs work well and they aren't too stiff loaded or unloaded. The Jeep drives nicer now than with my previous setup and I think it was a real deal for three bills. The only components that I have are the springs and shocks. I ended up adding some brake hose brackets for the front and rear and I'm happy. I'm still debating if adding a track bar bracket is worth it. I honestly can't feel a difference in body roll.

kojackJKU

I don't plan on adding any heavy gear like that so I am good. I know what once you toss on bumpers, etc, the springs are not up to it. but for stock bumpers, adding some cargo will not mess the jeep up bad at all. I was worried first, but after the trip with my son, his friend and wife with the hockey gear, I have no issues with anything I take. besides my pop up. airbags are going to fix that.

jungblud

Observer
The stock back bumper is a joke. I really wanted the utility of the AEV bumper with all the items I can now carry. However when I pulled off the stock one I found the real reason.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'd like to not use aftermarket rear bumpers, but I also get what jungblud is saying. I guess we'll see how often I actually hit the bumpers on stuff after the lift and 34s.

I got some communications work done on the Jeep this weekend.

I installed a Tuffy Concealed Carry Drawer under the passenger seat. Attached to the top with Velcro is my Yaseu Ft8800 and auxiliary speaker. It's difficult to get all the stock seat wiring out of the way. Right now the seat can slide all the way back and one notch away from all the way forward.

Please excuse the iPhone picture quality and dog hair.

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

On the side I mounted a waterproof ARB 12v plug wired with 8g to a BlueSea fusebox mounted to the back of the drawer.

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

I haven't figured out where to mount the Ham Radio's head unit yet. It might go in the rubber trough in front of the shifters.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A Jeep without dog hair, is like a day without sunshine. :beer:

Great idea on the radio mounting, speaker and fuse box mount! I will probably copy that if you don't mind?
(what is the saying about the sincerest form of flattery?...)
I was also thinking of putting the head unit the same place as you. Sun won't hit it so much, and the display stays readable, plus the mic cable stays out of the way.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
At least the outside is clean now. Mostly to install more Xpel wrap on the door sills and apply the Aerospace 303 UV protectant.

IMG_8916.JPG

24wB7XdccnEXsaR41SWgRI9PKuaASR5YPeOiU4J5zM6N=w445-h593-no

Last edited:

kojackJKU

My jeep has zero dog hair as I am severely allergic to them. I would probably die in that jeep. ha ha.

kojackJKU

check out bed tread. that may be exactly what you need. I have had my jeep since 2011 and I never hit my bumper once. So that's what made me decide that I don't need bumpers weighing me down. I am installing a winch between the frame rails but its going to be the lightest one I can find with syn line.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I just installed the Bed Tred this weekend. So far, I'm happy with it. I have a boxer mix mutt whose brindle fur contrasts nicely with the stock black carpet and sticks worse than velcro. Fairly easy install. And pretty good fit.

dstock

Explorer
I just installed the Bed Tred this weekend. So far, I'm happy with it. I have a boxer mix mutt whose brindle fur contrasts nicely with the stock black carpet and sticks worse than velcro. Fairly easy install. And pretty good fit.

Did it change the sound level at all in the interior as far as road noise etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333