Budget overland Disco build

brushogger

Explorer
I've had this beast for a year now and decided to document the slow but cheap build. I try to make my purchases as deals come along and that helps a lot. I started with a stock 04 DII. I added 2" spring spacers and 235 85r 16 Wrangler Authority tires on stock P38 steelies. I traded an old conferr roof rack that was to small for the wheels.
6c557963-67f7-1278.jpg

I got the tall Thule feet and bars off Dweb for $100 shipped. The kayaks and Oztent will go up there.
Mounted my Yaesu FT-1802 2m rig. I already had it.
6c557963-69bb-1211.jpg

We've really been working on downsizing our camping gear since our kids are grown. Time for the old two burner Coleman to go and be replaced with a Cadac Safari Chef.
6c557963-6b24-6f91.jpg

6c557963-6b5e-f6cd.jpg

It's much more versatile, eliminates several pans, and takes up much less room. We picked this on close
out at camping world for 1/2 it's normal price.
We also downsized from a Surburban to a disco so it's even more important to get it organized. After much cussin' and discussion', we decided to go with a tool box base.
6c557963-6ca2-c1b4.jpg

Most of the commercially built systems were crazy expensive and we would rather spend our money traveling.

We found this one with ball bearing slides on sale at Sears for $119.
I removed the jump seats and mounted it with turnbuckles to the floor tie downs and jumpseat mounts
6c557963-6dd5-fa63.jpg

It is very secure and easy to remove.
We needed a new table also. We looked at several models of roll up and fold up tables. They were all either too big or a PITA to assemble and put up. This was $19 at camping world. It sets up in 30 seconds and is very stable. It also fits perfectly against the back seat.
6c557963-6f2f-9dff.jpg

Mounted the water bladder behind the Trasharoo on the spare mount for a gravity fed water source
6c557963-7068-051d.jpg

6c557963-7081-96a2.jpg

So far, not including the tires, we're into it less than $500. Next will be bumpers and a winch. We'll have to see what kind of deals come down the pike!

Ronct110

Adventurer
Nice. We have a folding camping table like yours and comes in handy; fits in the our 04 DiscoII also. Trashoo comes handy many ways!

If anything else for spare parts to carry on your build-up plan, brake light switch (if it goes out on you, won't be able to shift out of park), and spare bulbs and fuses.

Keep us posted; like the tool drawer idea; simple and inexp.

rocknrun

Nice mods! If your FT-1802's heatsink gets as hot as mine does (when using high power, which is rare for me) that's a good location for it. You'll be able to turn on the defroster and cool it down!

LandyAndy

Adventurer
If anything else for spare parts to carry on your build-up plan, brake light switch (if it goes out on you, won't be able to shift out of park)

I suggest that you remove the park interlock solenoid from the side of the shifter. Easy job, remove the trim, unplug it & push the little retaining clip back with a small screwdriver. It just twists & comes out then....

brushogger

Explorer
I suggest that you remove the park interlock solenoid from the side of the shifter. Easy job, remove the trim, unplug it & push the little retaining clip back with a small screwdriver. It just twists & comes out then....

That's a great idea. Thanks for the info.

adelatoa

Adventurer
I have the same idea of the tool box. Hilarious. I have not purchased it but I will be placing the same style tool box the remainder room behind tool box across the back will have a 20 Gal tank. Onto the left of the tool box I will have my ARB fridge and below it a drawer carrying all my spares. BTW it gets better as my DII is the same color White Gold with Black 16" Alloy wheels.

Link to my DII:

http://abeldelatorre.weebly.com/lr-discovery-ii-01.html

brushogger

Explorer
I have the same idea of the tool box. Hilarious. I have not purchased it but I will be placing the same style tool box the remainder room behind tool box across the back will have a 20 Gal tank. Onto the left of the tool box I will have my ARB fridge and below it a drawer carrying all my spares. BTW it gets better as my DII is the same color White Gold with Black 16" Alloy wheels.

Link to my DII:

http://abeldelatorre.weebly.com/lr-discovery-ii-01.html

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Arkansas that was the shakedown cruise for the box. It worked great! It held all our essentials (organized in ziplock bags) except food. I had put a piece of clear vinyl tubing over the locking bar. This in addition to the ziplock bags prevented any rattles. I am going to put some type of latch on each drawer though. When I parked facing uphill and removed the lock bar, all the drawers wanted to open. This will be an easy fix though. We were very pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal