Budget roof rack basket

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a morning dew shot of the "Budget Roof Rack Basket" on hardtop project in-progress...

MorningDew.jpg

AFSOC

Explorer
Thanks! :)

I've only got one photo of it mounted on the Jeep so far, didn't have time to take photos when I finished installing it today, will try to get some tomorrow. Until then, here's the one photo, sorry the pickup is in the way...

RetroAndSafari2.jpg

Oh yeah, the rack is very cool too. There is a lot to drool over in this photo.

If you're looking at the photo in my first post of this thread showing how I notched the square tubing to fit over the XJ cross bar, maybe you're assuming that I just left the notch open with sharp edges. After making the notch, I welded in a new piece of steel to provide a smooth and continuous wide surface for the tube to rest on the crossbar. And after I painted it, I put some thick foam tape on the inside surface of that notch as well, so there's no way the tub would even scratch the crossbar, let alone cut into or wear it down.

You know...I figured you had probably welded it closed, but of course you took it a step further with the foam tape. Good work! :victory:

4X4NDAD

starting o build my own.

Just bought one of those same racks. I have a garvin wilderness rack end piece with a crack at a weld that was given to me. (Note Garvin builds Quality products and they stand behind their workmanship, they replaced the section for free and even paid the shipping for the replacement section) I'll modify the cheapo rack to the correct width n height to mate with the garmin piece and build my own soft top upright supports. Those atv racks come in a lot cheaper than buying a bender and dyes. Some people can and will blame the economy, I just like to build stuff as cheaply as I can, It allows me to do more stuff with my money.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just bought one of those same racks. I have a garvin wilderness rack end piece with a crack at a weld that was given to me. (Note Garvin builds Quality products and they stand behind their workmanship, they replaced the section for free and even paid the shipping for the replacement section) I'll modify the cheapo rack to the correct width n height to mate with the garmin piece and build my own soft top upright supports. Those atv racks come in a lot cheaper than buying a bender and dyes. Some people can and will blame the economy, I just like to build stuff as cheaply as I can, It allows me to do more stuff with my money.

Post pictures!

05liberty

Thought about this my self .. princess auto part in Canada .... looks much better than I thought it might ! Im going to have to do it now!

Mamontof

Explorer

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A great Idea to modified !

You chose Metal why not Aluminium basket ?
It more light , no rust better hold canister and other cargo http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html

Hay about mounted sand bridges on side :ylsmoke:

I modified ramp from http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html It was hold my Tahoe .

I chose the basket I did because it was very inexpensive and because it needed no modification to convert into a roof rack basket - converting it into a roof rack basket was pretty much a drill-and-bolt operation. I'm sure you could do something similar with the aluminum basket you linked to, with some modification. If you make one with the aluminum basket, please post photos for us all to see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333