Bug Out Vehicle

Interesting topic. I recently started watching a TV show on the subject, but don't believe that doing anything of the sort will be fruitful. If it truly does hit the fan, I'll be the first to let it take me. If the end of the world looks anything near what Hollywood shows us, I don't want to survive it. I know my God loves me, and I can't wait to meet him!

That being said, there are some pretty cool lookin' rigs out there. If I thought I had a remote chance of a decent living, not just surviving, I'd head up to the mountains. I'm less than an hour away from clean water filtered by mother nature at 7,000ft. I love Idaho ghost towns!

Expedition Leader
If I thought I had a remote chance of a decent living, not just surviving, I'd head up to the mountains. I'm less than an hour away from clean water filtered by mother nature at 7,000ft.

Don't forget your water filter for the Giardia; no fun to have an intestinal infection with no access to good drugs at the end of the world!

magentawave

Adventurer
6x6pinz - Did you make that awning yourself?

My bug out vehicle is the same as my expo vehicle, my offroad vehicle, my camper and my run around town vehicle. I keep is stocked all the time and fueled when I bring it home. This is not because I think I will have to bug out in an emergency event it is just that I am too lazy to remember what I am low on or what I ran out of on the last trip. The first thing to do when getting home is to resupply. I even keep a drag bag with my clothes and sundries supplied so if someone calls and says lets hit the trail I can be out the door in just minutes.

Ozarker

This thread still going? I thought I killed it long ago, LOL.

Light and fast, enough storage for basics, you can forage and scrounge later. I can grab a knife and run off with the clothes on my back if I must. I can grab much more stuff and be good for a week in less than five minutes. In a tornado, you don't have 20 minutes to load nor do you really know which direction to go so much, having that second retreat might not do you any good. Mine is 52 miles away, guess I could walk it in 2 or 3 days through the woods. The best BOV would be some really good boots.

We have flooding just northeast of me, many woke up hearing their vehicles being washed away by a flash flood, mobiles washed away. My place is on the top of a hill, Arkansas will be islands before I'm flooded.

My brother-in-law is some war chief in the area emergency management stuff, told him if I see him coming I'm heading for the hills, he said that's probably a good idea......knowing I would not go quietly into that night and I'd probably be a pain to deal with......unless going was a really good idea, I'm staying put, lock the door and don't answer it as they will just think I left like everyone else. Lay low, be invisible, let things pass and go when the coast is clear or stay there, IMO. Radiation, germs/bio hazards, wild fire, maybe earth quake might be reason to bug out, otherwise I'd probably stay put even with invading aliens. :)

I'm ole school and unconventional to boot so;
"I'd not worry about such things because any potential enemy will bring everything you'll possibly ever need you just have to take it"!

THESE ARE NOT THE TIMES FOR THE MEEK AND TIMID!

These are the most meek and mild times in the history of this country. Buncha lazy entitled slobs.

scrubber3

Not really here
Im just going to buy a solo and stay there.

http://www.missilebases.com/properties

guju4yna.jpg

You might be in to something. How are you gonna keep that much beer cold?

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
These are the most meek and mild times in the history of this country. Buncha lazy entitled slobs.

No question that life has never been more comfortable or safe. But things change now much faster than in any time in the past, so people feel more vulnerable even though the risks and threats to life itself are far less.

R

High Center

Adventurer
No question that life has never been more comfortable or safe. But things change now much faster than in any time in the past, so people feel more vulnerable even though the risks and threats to life itself are far less.

R

We are much safer than at almost any point in history -however- nothing that we have done or developed has removed the most basic premise of life on our planet: Competition. We compete to live and although most of our surroundings contemporarily remove that idea from our thinking, the fact is immutable. In dire enough consequences people, in any setting, will resort to the most base competitive drives. We will kill each other for tiny parcels of food not to mention the horrors that we will inflict on each other when water is not in ready supply.

Nothing encourages me more along this line of thinking than the outright denial of it's possibility in our society. I hope- more than anything that I can hope for- that nothing like this ever happens but I refuse to be unprepared for the possibility. When and if it does it will happen with a speed and violence that most Americans can't conceive.

As far as goes the original question: I think that the key to a successful BOV is the early use of it. I live (when not deployed to some other part of this seemingly sandy globe) in an area subject to hurricanes. Our rule is 4 days. If a big enough storm is coming and the models hold it on us...my wife and kids head for the hills in her Toyota Sienna. If we are wrong...so be it...we were wrong. If we are right, everything turns out.

Best,
HC

EMrider

Explorer
We are much safer than at almost any point in history -however- nothing that we have done or developed has removed the most basic premise of life on our planet: Competition. We compete to live and although most of our surroundings contemporarily remove that idea from our thinking, the fact is immutable. In dire enough consequences people, in any setting, will resort to the most base competitive drives. We will kill each other for tiny parcels of food not to mention the horrors that we will inflict on each other when water is not in ready supply.

Nothing encourages me more along this line of thinking than the outright denial of it's possibility in our society. I hope- more than anything that I can hope for- that nothing like this ever happens but I refuse to be unprepared for the possibility. When and if it does it will happen with a speed and violence that most Americans can't conceive.

As far as goes the original question: I think that the key to a successful BOV is the early use of it. I live (when not deployed to some other part of this seemingly sandy globe) in an area subject to hurricanes. Our rule is 4 days. If a big enough storm is coming and the models hold it on us...my wife and kids head for the hills in her Toyota Sienna. If we are wrong...so be it...we were wrong. If we are right, everything turns out.

Best,
HC

Yep, the competitive instinct remains in place, and anything is possible in theory. But these truths have not broken or reversed the secular trend towards greater comfort, security, health, etc. over the past 1,000+ years.

Any preparation for adversity should be heavily (maybe even entirely) influenced by the likelihood of various adverse scenarios we might actually face.

That means that different types of natural disasters should dominate any planning or preparation exercise. For you hurricanes are the big deal. For me, earthquakes top the list.

Nevertheless, any thread of this sort is quickly and inevitably filled with people discussing "defensive perimeters" against, or tactics to avoid, the roaming bands thugs that will surely be coming to kill them and steal their stuff.

Maybe this is just a harmless expression of escapist fantasy? Who knows?

To each his/her own; but in my own planning, 99% of the time/effort/cost is focused on earthquake and natural disaster prep.

And for those remaining ugly 1% probability scenarios, my assumption is that my hobbies and outdoor interests already tilt the odds significantly in my favor.

R

Last edited:

High Center

Adventurer
Yep, the competitive instinct remains in place, and anything is possible in theory. But these truths have not broken or reversed the secular trend towards greater comfort, security, health, etc. over the past 1,000+ years.

Any preparation for adversity should be heavily (maybe even entirely) influenced by the likelihood of various adverse scenarios we might actually face.

That means that different types of natural disasters should dominate any planning or preparation exercise. For you hurricanes are the big deal. For me, earthquakes top the list.

Nevertheless, any thread of this sort is quickly and inevitably filled with people discussing "defensive perimeters" against, or tactics to avoid, the roaming bands thugs that will surely be coming to kill them and steal their stuff.

Maybe this is just a harmless expression of escapist fantasy? Who knows?

To each his/her own; but in my own planning, 99% of the time/effort/cost is focused on earthquake and natural disaster prep.

And for those remaining ugly 1% probability scenarios, my assumption is that my hobbies and outdoor interests already tilt the odds significantly in my favor.

R

I couldn't agree more. There is no room (short of global catastrophe) in todays world for a prolonged dystopian scenario. My concern is more toward a centralized, high intensity event- Katrina, Fukushima, Mumbai, Thailand. There is a great value in absenting yourself from such things. During and after these events the lawlessness exists for a period before being quelled. Being prepared to leave, at a moments notice, in a vehicle that will get you out of the problem area is a responsibility not a -nice to have.

Overall societal trends do little to blunt the effects of the chaos that pervades during and after a disaster. I was in New Orleans for Katrina (day +2) and was struck (to my core) by the state of that American city and its citizens. I have spent a fair amount of time outside the US as well (...there now) and when it comes to faith in the general human progress that you cite....

....better have a back up plan.

Like my Land Rover! if I forget my handy dandy, day-glo orange, Bear Grylls fire starter, I can always use the Lucas ECU as a lighter...:sombrero:

Salaam,
HC

LR Max

Local Oaf
I have a two step plan.

My immediate surroundings would be an issue in terms of bug out. Being in the city, roads can get clogged pretty quickly, especially the interstate. That is just Thursday afternoon traffic! In a situation were I had to leave, first thing I would do is use one of my bicycles to scout ahead. Taking less than 6 hours and knowing what is 15 miles ahead of me, and not using fuel and not getting gridlocked/road blocked would be a significant advantage. Then I would be ready for my exit.

Depending on the situation, I might not take my Land Rover. Also considering its reliability lately, my sedan would get me farther. Also throw a bike on the back for scouting purposes. Both have very good carrying capacities and I could sleep in the back of either one (rover might be a bit more comfortable). However I do have an escape route that would require a high clearance off road vehicle. If that route is my only option, well guess I'm praying to the car Gods on this one. Step two would be the actual exit.

Would keep using the bicycle to scout ahead in the morning when it is cooler. Fuel would probably be precious at this point however I can purify water easily, which would be what I would be mainly using up for bicycle scouting.

Dunno, it would be a rough situation. In all honesty, I would probably be ok for about a week then things would start going downhill. Especially if everyone fled the city. That means there are 5 million other people doing the exact same thing I'm doing and probably half of them already came ahead of me. That means resources would be depleted by the time I came through.

mymorph

well, my bug out vehicle (not intentially bought to be a bug out vehicle) is a ex military landrover 101 ambulance, as such has full NBC capability for occupants in the back, will run on poor quality fuel, as well as eberspacher heater and will sleep 4. also has some EMP resistants as it has no microchips.

altho in the UK, its highly unlikely there will be much room to 'bug out' too.

IMAG0031.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven