Bug Out Vehicle

Ozarker

Interesting insight to some personalities, very good thinking :)

The Joplin tornado was a good example of a bug out situation. In Joplin, thete are some pretty good mudders, rock crawlers, and 4x4 machines, covered by building debris, flipped, smashed and destroyed. Many walked out.

Electrical service was out for miles, no gas pumps, emergency radios, police, fire and ambulance were down due to the towers being gone. No cell phone service in the area, cell traffic was so busy that service was down 100 miles away. Ham radio was the oly thing up and running for emergency communications and to regional hospitals. Motels were filled a hundred miles away that evening.

A few years earlier we had an ice strom, no damage like Joplin but people were in homes without power for over a month in the winter. Many areas in the ozark hills were impassable for days, unless you had a half track or tank. I was lucky as I was at the cabin and had jsut gone to the store. Had propane and a battery operated thermostat and fire place. And, my electric would go out temporarily and come on for just a few days as they work on other lines.

How about the movie Detropia, the fall of Detroit from the economic troubles from 2009. Jobs lost, homes lost, crime and people moving out.

Nowhere is immune to destruction. We are also on the New Madrid fault impact area, we don't need that one!

I'd say that putting all your eggs in one basket in your BOV may not be such a great idea, depends on what happens, it could be destroyed. Having everything in a closet or garage, while a good secure place, the Joplin tornado demonstrated that may not be a good overall plan. I suggest you have two or more stashes in the event one is destroyed or lost. As to vehicles, most folks can't have a second bov parked at some other location so being aware with a plan would be prudent.

My place is at the top of a hill, all of Arkansas will probably be flooded before I am and the city water supply lake is about 500' away. Large floods are a problem, vehicles were underwater along the Mississippi and along the White River areas. I guess if you're in an area prone to such floods you should know that.

I really doubt any invading army will parachute into my neighborhood or aliens from outerspace. Gangs, maybe, government authorities doing something stupid is a better chance of a problem.

I grew up here, I know stuff about my city that most everyone doesn't know, like underground tunnels and large drains that have been bloked off over 30 years ago, (rode my bike in them as a kid) most every alley, the attitudes of neighborhoods and where things are.

I think that being an expert in your area of where things are would be a big plus, not to go steal it so much as assiting authorities who are usually lost in an emergency (as they try to stick to SOP and find thier SOP doesn't apply). If you know there is a sign company three blocks away that has a bucket truck, that may save a life!

I think your plan should include being aware of everything around you, people, places and things. :)

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well for us we would plan to hunker down at home till the right moment or need to get mobile happened. There is enough water and basic food for 3 weeks. Then divide the bug out supplies between the expo Tacoma and suburban. Hitting the road in two vehicles I feel is a better plan. Both have a 600 mile range and are 4wd. If one broke then transferring supplies to other rig is still doable to continue or if need be ditch and keep moving with 50% of supplies. Either way our existing vehicles will have to do.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I guess the best BOV is the one you have at hand when the need arises to GOD. And, perhaps also the nature of the situation at hand (roads intact but with fallen trees, or no roads?).

My assumption is that there is not a lot of advance notice and a need to do something right now.

OTOH, if you are facing a deliberate move from point A to point B, you can rely upon a purpose-built rig.

Did anyone see the movie Contagion? That movie depicted what I would consider a plausible form of public hysteria, disorder, and shutdown... regardless of a contagion, economy collapse, etc.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
You mean you don't think Bama will turn this country around Scrubber...

All last night my Facebook friends were talking about getting prepped... those that didn't vote for Obama that is.

bftank

Explorer
You mean you don't think Bama will turn this country around Scrubber...

All last night my Facebook friends were talking about getting prepped... those that didn't vote for Obama that is.

thats what this thread needs, more obama. kinda throwing gas on the fire.

personally i was a boyscout, always thought the motto be prepared was a good one. am i ready for anything? no. will i ever be? no. just trying to be prepared as i can with what i have for the forseeable future. prepping to be prepared for life in general, not unlikely disasters specifically.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I just read through this tread for the first time, and have to say...

Crap, I missed out on that whole 12/12/12 thing...

We did mark the passing of 12/12/12 12:12:12, though.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
My bug out vehicle is the same as my expo vehicle, my offroad vehicle, my camper and my run around town vehicle. I keep is stocked all the time and fueled when I bring it home. This is not because I think I will have to bug out in an emergency event it is just that I am too lazy to remember what I am low on or what I ran out of on the last trip. The first thing to do when getting home is to resupply. I even keep a drag bag with my clothes and sundries supplied so if someone calls and says lets hit the trail I can be out the door in just minutes.

Attachments

• tims pics 112 (Small).jpg
    tims pics 112 (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven