Bugs, Sweat and Tears- Exploring the UP's Copper Country

taco2go

Explorer
VIVID pictures Kristian, scour that slush fund for a real DSLR sometime soon, with all these incredible places on the planet you keep getting to see every other day....and keep posting many more of those during this coming week of UP haberdashery. Hopefully someone will start a UPO 2011 thread here soon enough.

awesome about heading out to Isle Royale. We are heading out there a couple of days after UPO for a backpacking and paddling photo shoot. Then we are spending 4 days canoe camping around the northern end of the park. Can't wait! I love that place. !

Wow, I WISH I could have a week just to explore that place- one of the few remaining bastions of pristine wilderness. It gets me everytime. the weather was unbelievably nice this weekend. Too nice, in fact. The barf barge was more like a mediterranean cruise- no need for dramamine. :)
From a photography standpoint, I was secretly hoping for some clouds, rain and dramatic fog - at least for a day. But the paddlers seemed to love it; and its absolutely the best way to explore the national park. I hiked (more like stumbled my way) to the tip of Scoville point one morning to see the sunrise- would have been much easier by boat. I'll post some pics on here this week hopefully when I get a moment off.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Awesome report and pics. I'm definitely going to have to get in on the UPO next year, what a birthday present to myself.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great trip report and amazing pics...
I like the way your writing gives me the sense of history and place, along with making me wish I was there. Well except for the bugs :)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
VIVID pictures Kristian, scour that slush fund for a real DSLR sometime soon, with all these incredible places on the planet you keep getting to see every other day....and keep posting many more of those during this coming week of UP haberdashery. Hopefully someone will start a UPO 2011 thread here soon enough.

Wow, I WISH I could have a week just to explore that place- one of the few remaining bastions of pristine wilderness. It gets me everytime. the weather was unbelievably nice this weekend. Too nice, in fact. The barf barge was more like a mediterranean cruise- no need for dramamine. :)
From a photography standpoint, I was secretly hoping for some clouds, rain and dramatic fog - at least for a day. But the paddlers seemed to love it; and its absolutely the best way to explore the national park. I hiked (more like stumbled my way) to the tip of Scoville point one morning to see the sunrise- would have been much easier by boat. I'll post some pics on here this week hopefully when I get a moment off.

I just got back from Isle Royale myself last night. INCREDIBLE trip. I have backpacked there before, this was my first time paddling it and wow, that's the way to go. The barf barge was calm. We went over for a photoshoot for the Current Designs and We No Nah catalogue as well as some stuff for Travel Michigan. The first two days we did some morning and evening photo shoots, the rest was just pure adventure. Good stuff, will post up some pics soon.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Awesome report and pics. I'm definitely going to have to get in on the UPO next year, what a birthday present to myself.

If you haven't checked it out yet, there is now a UPO trip report going in this sub forum. Some of the attendees have been sharing shots.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great trip report and amazing pics...
I like the way your writing gives me the sense of history and place, along with making me wish I was there. Well except for the bugs :)

I wish I could have written the bugs out of it but alas, they were part of the experience. Happy to say though, after having spent a chunk of the UPO trip up that way last week and just up on Isle Royale, the bugs are gone. Its actually the best time of the year to get out in the woods.

TJDIV

Adventurer
very cool... amazing how no matter how many times you see things, all the variables deliver a brand new experience.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I can't beleve any one would go all the way to copper harbor with out a mountain bike.....Seriously, cool trip but wow you missed out on some of the best riding in the North America.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I can't beleve any one would go all the way to copper harbor with out a mountain bike.....Seriously, cool trip but wow you missed out on some of the best riding in the North America.

Trust me, I know. Haha we were going to bring the tandem mountain bike but decided we had too much planned as is. Heading back up there again in October to ride. There are some new trails off Brockway that are insane. Marquette has an unbelievable network of trails too if you pass through sometime I recommend it. Actually quite a bit more single track and free ride stuff then CH. Sounds like MQT will be getting epic status shortly too by IMBA. We are fortunate to have such amazing riding in the UP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal