Build of the X-Lander 80

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
What size lift?

I am running the Slee 6" kit with 4" springs, meaning all the new control arms and panhard rods and what not just using the shorter springs. I have some vibrations which was to be expected with the set up I'm running, so I still have some adjusting to do as well as to rebuild the rear drive shaft.

Until I get bumpers and or add more rear weight I might have to add 1" spring spacers to the front to level it out. I can't stand the rear being higher even though loaded it will be more or less level.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Now for the fun stuff... Gears and lockers!!!

I bought this truck without the factory lockers, just never been a fan. Most think I'm crazy for thinking that, but I have my reasons.

So since I am running 35 inch tall tires and have on past trucks, I will stick to what's worked for me as far as gears. So I will run 4.88's and ARB lockers front and rear. I'm not settled yet on what to charge the lockers with, but most likely I'll go with the ARB compressor.

Here are a couple pictures of the current work, and one from this summer with it's brother.

1997 CE FZJ 80 070.jpg

1997 CE FZJ 80 072.jpg

1997 CE FZJ 80 053.jpg

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I think you're crazy! Did you sell the factory locked axles and start with new ones? You could make some money that way.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Front axle is now cleaned and ready for assembly. The gears, lockers and compressor have been ordered... Just picked up all new bearings, seals, gaskets etc. from Toyota and rotors and pads from Slee. So when it's all back together the front will be almost 100% new. I will be starting on the rear in a few weeks.

Box Rocket

Nothing wrong at all with buying a truck without factory lockers IMO, especially for the type of wheeling most people on this board are doing. I wheeled my unlocked '93 for 6 years on lots harder stuff than most here are doing and had very few problems. I added a rear Aussie locker just over a year ago.

I know some people go some tough places with their 80s but the vast majority of people on this board are going to be just fine without lockers and I find it amusing at least how some people go haywire about someone getting a truck without lockers, like they bought a dog with no legs or something. Dumb.

to Sgt Grunt.....good work. 4.88's and ARBs will be a nice setup.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Nothing wrong at all with buying a truck without factory lockers IMO, especially for the type of wheeling most people on this board are doing. I wheeled my unlocked '93 for 6 years on lots harder stuff than most here are doing and had very few problems. I added a rear Aussie locker just over a year ago.

I know some people go some tough places with their 80s but the vast majority of people on this board are going to be just fine without lockers and I find it amusing at least how some people go haywire about someone getting a truck without lockers, like they bought a dog with no legs or something. Dumb.

When looking for this 80 I intentionally found one without lockers. Just not a fan of the factory lockers.

With 35 inch tall tires 4.88's are my preference, my last truck had the same set up. I went back and forth on even installing a front locker with this build, I used the front in other trucks maybe 10% of the time that I used the rear.

ozarkroozer

Observer

Agreed. My unlocked 80 is a quite capable vehicle. We've got some pretty rough and steep terrain in the Arkansas Ozark Mountains and have never been in a situation where I was let down with my current set up. I never understood spending the extra money and going to great links to find a factory locked vehicle, for most unlocked is good enough.

gearguywb

Explorer
While I certainly understand loving an open diff vehicle, I look at lookers....well kind of like tire chains. If you need them they are invaluable, and if you don't, they are not hurting a thing.

Love the build!

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
A little update on the axle work, everything is now apart, cleaned, all new parts are either ordered or on hand and ready to start going back together. The ARB lockers, 4.88's, and master rebuild kits were the last to come in. Once done with the axle's I'll be on to the easy stuff. Engine tune up & PM'ing, interior items, and getting everything wired.

I am so ready to be back rolling again... :smiley_drive:

midessa7

light bar and protector

Hey sarge, where did you get that light bar and protector? I've been looking for one just like that. If you have a link and a part number that would be great.

midessa7

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Hey sarge, where did you get that light bar and protector? I've been looking for one just like that. If you have a link and a part number that would be great.

midessa7

Sorry no part number for it. I fabricated it myself to fit the Hella 4000's. The rack came with a smaller version that only fit 6" lights. This is what I have and I like it and it works well, however with all the advancements in LED lights I might consider going that route in the future. Plus this set up is not exactly streamlined.

midessa7

light bar

OK sarge, thanks anyways. Looks like I'll have to start fabricating for myself again for the unique parts.

Good luck with the build, I'll keep watching.

midessa7
2000 Disco II

Darryl, long time no see! Great to hear you're working on another build! I just picked up a high mile 2000 LC and a friend from work picked up a 1997 LC this past week... I'll be working on getting mine set up shortly... Semper Fidelis mate, Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online