Build quality satisfaction?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I've owned 2 JKU Rubicons. An 07 and now a 13' The new one is miles ahead in fit and finish over my 07. So far I love my jeep and with 43,000 on my 13 It hasn't disappointed me yet. That said here's what I've noticed with mine so far. The back seats are not meant for adults over 6', you will bang your head on the soundbar and the rear doors do not open far enough to allow big guys to easily get in or out. Sometimes when shifting from 4lo back to 4hi the auto transmission gets confused for awhile and acts like its slipping. Only had that happen 2-3 times. Sometimes I get a strong wiff of antifreeze around the front but never overheats or is leaking. The 12-14's sub-woofers are huge and eat up alot of the room in back. Sometimes the foam padding around the rear "roll" bar squeaks but there is the noise cancelling adjustment knob on the dash that usually works. So far with the Jeep it's just change the fluids, rotate the tires and double check the tightness of the suspension every so often and I'm good to go. Whats funny to me is this is the first vehicle I've owned that the dealer has called me and told me "there is a software update for your vehicle."

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The only thing I truly hate about my '12 JKUR is my current lack of modding funds.

That being said, thus far I have had the following experiences directly relating to build quality:

- Broken power steering pump (I believe this to have been a mix of operator error, plus a notoriously weak PS pump on '12 JKs)

- Accidentally left Jeep out in a downpour with no roof. After drying out the next day there were no issues to report, and my seats were nice and clean.

- Rear ended at 50 KMPH. It hurt, and flung everything in the Jeep into a new spot. I got out raging, sure that my Jeep that I dreamt about for years, and saved for even longer, was badly damaged. The Jeep had scratches on the plastic bumper cover. The opposing sedan was totalled, and had to be towed after limping to the side of the road. The Jeep was subsequently completely checked over for further damage by a shop who would have been paid by my insurance provider. They found nothing to claim.

- Rear wiper motor is making a loud "click-click-click" noise when turned on after not being used for a while. Sounds like a gear is skipping teeth. Still need to get this checked by dealership.

- Steering wheel buttons sometimes take 2-4 presses before they actually do anything.

- After two years of ownership the door hinges are bubbling, and soon the paint will begin to crack. This is a design defect, as aluminium and steel are bolted together with nothing separating the two metals, causing corrosion. I have yet to speak to the dealer about this, and I am worried they won't cover it. Even if they do, it will just happen again a couple of years down the road until I implement a more permanent fix.

- JKs ship from the factory with bolts of incorrect size: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-importance-of-changing-out-stock-bolts-128154.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiydwQHc7QQ

Prubah

I've owned my '14 2dr Rubicon for less than a month and it has 5500 miles on it so far. Even though it doesn't have 40k, I feel I can comment here cuz I know your pain. I'm a life long Toyota guy. Celicas, Trucks pre Tacoma, Tundras, RAVs. For an expedition, if you can afford, get a 4dr Rubicon, if not, get 4dr Willys. You're concerned with reliability so you won't be buying a stripped Sport and building your own rig. You sound like you want dealer warranty. I was worried too about long term issues with a Jeep after coming from Toyota, still am knowing the Pentastar can run 220 degrees at times. But I'm absolutely loving my new rig. Hey, I had a Automatic transmission replaced under warranty with my 2002 Tundra and was ready for another one at 112k miles which is why I traded it in toward the base 06 Tundra 6spd stick in 06. I went back and forth this past year on getting a new Wrangler. I say, buy one with an extended warranty and don't look back. don't second guess yourself to death. You'll LOVE IT. Stop thinking about it and start building your dream rig. Everyone raves about the Jeep Automatic, but I got the stick mainly because of issues I've had with Autos in the past. I'd rather replace a clutch at 100k than an electronic tranny.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Exactly. I can afford to buy a new Jeep and sell it after a few years. The only Land cruisers I can afford already have 100k on them. So the build quality would have to be better.

(1) Jeeps can be lifetime vehicles with proper maintenance, just like any other vehicle that is worth a ****.

(2) LC's sell/sold from the 60-90K range (past 15 years). Jeep Wranglers sell/sold from the 18-40K range (past 15 years). Both have their purpose, but this isn't exactly a head to head comparison.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
It's funny how this thread has attracted TLC owners to bust in and try to compare their aging trucks to the new jeeps. Jeep has been listening to the owners and continues to bring out more offroad oriented products like the Rubicon models, whereas Toyota seems to have left the enthusiast market behind allowing the new LC to cater to doctors' wives.

For those TLC guys that still don't get it, I encourage you to visit a Jeep dealer and take a ride with the top down on a beautiful summer's day--there is no comparison.

This is exactly why I got a Jeep. Hopefully, Toyota will get a clue in the US. I didn't want to leave the brand but Jeep, Mercedes and Land Rovers offerings are more in line with what I want than Toyotas lately. And sometimes driving a 14 year old truck isn't practical.

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
I'm not entirely sure why people continue to go back and forth about the reliability of a LC vs. a Wranger. One is ~$30,000 and the other is ~$70,000 and has been extremely expensive for 10-15 years. There is no doubt that Land Cruisers will have a higher build quality and higher quality parts, you get what you pay for. The question is what you are willing to spend. If you only have $35,000 and want a new, expedition worthy vehicle then in my opinion a JKU is a very good choice. Sure, it may be a little more unreliable, but with the additional money saved you can purchase some higher quality suspension parts and stow away money for occasional repairs.

A more fair comparison would be between a 4Runner and a JKU. Again, it just comes down to what matters more to you as an individual. If you want more creature comforts and more reliability, then a 4Runner would be a great choice. But if you want a vehicle that is extremely fun to drive and can be even more capable off-road, a JKU is a great option.

wanabxtrm

Observer
-I have an 08 JKUR, bought it new, zero real issues rolled over 80,000 the other week, a few minor things taken care of under warranty (steering wheel leather fell apart day 2) but everything has occasional issues which is why they created warranties. I haven't had any leaks, and I swap between dual tops. The metal is scary thin, yes, but I don't have any significant dings/dents. The only rattles I have are from my gobi rack. I will say I have a ton of scratches in the plastic on the interior, the mileage sucks, and you can over power the stock springs & max weight super easy. That said even well above max gross weight it handles well (I weighed it on a cross country move) though I would not recommend doing so on a regular basis. I have a gobi rack, and front rear AEV's and with the stiffest factory springs it bottoms out with more than two people and some stuff in the car. Adding that on also brings you right up to the factory rec'd GVWR, though the 200LC wasn't that much better in the grand scheme.

Interestingly my fully stripped JKUR weighed 4140 the lightest I've ever gotten it (with the factory bumpers). So if you think of it from an absolute base weight to a max GVWR it sort of does have a decent load carrying capability. Problem is thats without doors, a roof, and various other tid-bits....

CYK

Adventurer
Interesting thread. I haven't nor will I ever buy a Jeep, but I do like the look of them and will strike up an enthusiastic conversation with any JK owner to talk shop. I couldn't fault anyone for buying a model with so much history like the LC.

However, wouldn't the 4Runner be a better comparo since similar money? I love the 4R, too.

Disclaimer: I drive a 200 and enjoy all its luxury accoutrements sold as standard in the USA. Gentle reminder that there are base-level LCs sold at much higher volumes RoW.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
...the most capable stock 4x4 in the world is relatively cheap and available to us here in the US.

Gotta disagree with ya there Kalus... Having lived and worked in that greener grass and used 4wd's extensively in doing so, I can say with a large amount of authority on the subject that the USDM Wrangler isn't even the most capable WRANGLER in the world let alone "the most capable stock 4wd in the world"...Not unless you're completely omitting Unimogs, J7x/105/HDJ80 Toyotas, Patrols, Glandewagens, Iveco's and several others from the comparison. It's def. cheap compared to the others (esp. the build quality) and certainly a capable truck, no doubt, but really more of a factory built "starter" rock-crawler then a "round the world capable" rig like the others.

Test driving and owning are two different things (e.g. dating and marriage).

And Living/working out of a truck in severe climates (125*F averages over several months) and in harsh bush/station back-country areas, sometimes self-supported for weeks on end, hauling 2+x the rated payload over hill and dale on the tray back, skidding massive logs, fording flash flooded bridges with water up to the window-sills to get your neighbors to safety, spending 75% of the time I was in the vehicle over a 5+ year period in 4wd with at least one locker engaged, in the dirt... and owning a DD/Weekend toy, are also two different things ... And if you think "sharp turn signal stalks" are all that's wrong with a JK's build quality you're literally drowning in the Kool-aid.

I've owned numerous Jeeps... how many Toyotas have you owned and run that hard???

CYK

Adventurer
One extreme (West LA) to another (most parts of AUS/Africa)

People tend to make the best emotional decision and everything else trickles down from there according to their individual needs (then they go on forums and defend the largely emotion-backed decisions which leads to entertainment).

i have owned an 98 100 series land cruiser modded with lift to run 35s arb bumper, tjm rear bumper center lock and rear lock ......computer went bad had to sell at 115 k. several different toy pickups and 4 runners including an solid axle maybe a pre 85 4-runner ( blew seals) an 78 and 82 pick up rugged but no traction got stuck a lot went through 5 trans in the 82, a 07 tacoma and my current ride an 08 rubicon 4dr auto. not to mention a 77 cj 7 blazer a bronco 2 suburbans and an h-3. I got 67000 miles out brakes n the jku . I work off road I am a geologist, I like the series 100 but I love the jeep, its is everything I could want and reliable. I have 106000 on it I do love it. Until you are a member of the Jeep community you don't get it/ and I basically love any good 4wheel drive, but I own a jeep.
So my favorites in order top to bottom
1) 08 jeep rubicon
2) 100 series land cruiser
3) 95 2 door balzer
4) 77 cj-7
5 Hummer h-3

the thing is if you are on this site it should be because you have a love of the outdoors and exploring . If you are happy with your vehicle thats great> but don't be here if you goal is to convince someone that you drive the best thing and all others pale by comparison, call me what you will but its like women you may like brunettes or red heads or busty or skinny its your personal choice and should be the subject of ridicule or derision. Me I like em all a good 4x4 is just a thing of beauty

independent

Independent

I'm sure 4Rescue is a great guy and his misspelling of Klaus was unintentional, maybe just an abundance of testosterone. Sometimes emotions get the best of us all when talking about our preferred vehicles. The question was the build quality and satisfaction of new jeeps. I have a 2014 JKUR with 10,000 miles on it and am pleased so far. A couple trips to Death Valley and one each to Arizona and Utah has proven it to be comfortable on and off road. Had three Toyotas by the way, including an 82 FJ40, and liked them too. Also currently have a 68 Bronco which is a blast. Anyway good luck in which ever you choose. No disrespect to 4Rescue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77