Build quality satisfaction?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I have tracked down many of the annoying squeaks and rattles in my JKU. I have replaced the water pump twice in 20K miles which is annoying. I've thought about getting rid of it 1000's of times, but then I look at it and say how can I?? It rally is a sweet looking and fun vehicle. Gets many looks and compliments.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy from Sweden Europe

For me I got the best looking, modern 4x4, daily driver, versitale, most aftermarket stuff, overlanding vehicle for the price. It is still very expensive.

I am a very happy owner of a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 10th Anniversary and no problems yet. I had no problems with my 2 door 2012 Wrangler Sahara either.

152458054.jpg

We do have Landrover Defender here, it is slightly better looking? than my Wrangler, more manly and more rough and military. But it is more expensive, have no auto (love auto) only comes with diesel (I dont like diesel) I have my heart for the Defender but went for the Wrangler unlimited. The reason for that is that the Defender cost more, only have manual stick, only have diesel, cramped driving position, little booth room for rear passengers, no electric rear windows, no airbags, only 2 cupholders, no 12v rear outlet for fridge etc, rear passengers sits so high that the have problem to look out. Rear cargo floor is narrow at 90cm so it will be difficult to sleep 2 people there, the Wrangler is 110cm back there. Anyway it looks so cool.

We have Toyota Landcruiser 150 and 200 I think. We dont have the Landcruiser 70 series here in Europe. Anyway everybody say that Landcruiser is very good, I dont doubt that but I also think that its little bit exagerated, all vehicles have some problems. Anyway I think the Landcrusier is a very nice overlanding vehicle but it is to expensive for me and forgive me but I think It looks awful, it looks like a city vehicle with al that chrome and paint and such and it lacks a rear spare wheel. It looks like a big Suzuki grand Vitara. It cost about 2 times more than my unlimited Rubicon.But I like the old looking 4x4:)

To make a Landcruiser 200 look like a overland vehicle it will cost a lot of money in cool parts

ToyotaLandcruiserAltitudeaug30-775x437.jpg

Mercedes Gelandewagen. We have that but cost to much for me and a Wrangler looks much better in my opinion.

Toyota 4runner looks rather nice but it lacks a rear spare wheel, are not for sale in Europe.

Many looks after Landcruiser 70 series, very nice overland vehicle, but lacks esp, have less good comfort, have leaf springs in the back. http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...ger-first-pick-for-miners-20131114-2xhqr.html

We should be very happy that Jeep Wrangler exist, good looking, most aftermarket parts, lower price, good for daily driving and then less need for 2 vehicles, its modern and have alot of safety stuff, rather comfortable, comes in many different styles. Payload aint so god but If you bring small modern lighweight camping stuff with You it is less of a problem

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I have a feeling sometimes that some Americans do not like Jeeps because it is american, in some way that it is greener on the other side, a vehicle that is more expensive have to be better etc.

Anyway

Here You can se some problems with the Defender. 7 min in the video his feet hits the wall, so very little bootspace for rear passengers.

A 70 series landcruiser cost a lot but I think You have to do a lot of costly modifications to make it more modern and comfortable. But it is nice. Nice video and inspiring

In tests even if it is the older Wrangler, it comes best

http://www.chryslergroup.co.za/jeep/interwoven/downloads/media/ShootOutOfTheLegends.pdf
http://www.leisurewheels.co.za/shootouts/wrangler-versus-defender-versus-g-class/

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I have no clue about Jeeps build quality and such compared to other vehicle but I think with Fiat it might be better.

I have Tom Sheppards books, and for me it seems he know a lot of every suitable expedition 4x4 out there. He have done more than 40 years in expedition and have had different Landrovers and have had a Mercedes Gelandewagen and for 2012 he choosed a 2 door Jeep Wrangler Diesel as his expedition vehicle. I think this is a great verdict. If he is still satisfied with his Jeep I dont know.

OJ-Tom-Sheppard-interview1-copy3.jpg

163_0702_07z+mercedes_benz_g_wagen+rear_view.jpg

vehicledependentexpedition3.jpg

four-by-four-driving.jpg

You can se Tom Sheppard here in the "Sahara with Micheal Palin" at 3.30min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvshpATDuw&list=UUffOrXHk7bS1JF1PwcIQmcA

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

The JK unlimited 4 doors came very late at year 2007, before there were only 2 doors (smaller) so in Africa and Australia it will take along time for it to be popular and they are very biased to Landrover and Toyota and have not so many Jeep shops.

Anyway:)

A couple from Europe drow 24 000km (14 912.9086 miles) from Europe through Africa with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2.8 CRD automatic transmission and did not have any problems at al with the Jeep.

The couple wrote this on the internet

" We took Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2.8 CRD automatic transmission.
I just put on BF Goodrich tires - that's it, no more modification had been made.
Unlimited (means 4 doors) and you can make 200 cm bed in back of Jeep, so, no tents have been used.

I took additional 40l Diesel, and 27l water. But we did not used it, there was plenty of diesel to buy all over route (even in Mauritania, or Nigeria Boko Haram area).

We made 24000 km across Africa and did not have any problems, no punctures, no technical problems or border crossings. All people very kind and happy to see overlanders, no bribes (even in Nigeria or Congo DRC) no asking for gifts. We very surprised that it feel very safe. Even more safe than in Lithuania.

Everybody was so exited about our car, they never saw Jeep's… only some Japanese or UK cars…

I'm still working on pictures, everyday put some of them. As you may know, picture can say 1000 words, thats why I decide to make Photoblog instead of wordpress or something"

Look at the movie from Africa here, it is very nice

http://www.lostinhdr.com/Video/i-6cJQ42M/A

Homepage http://www.lostinhdr.com/

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I finally got time to put my 2014 in the dealer's hands for a coupla-three days to fix nags it's had since new in February.
The strange grinding noise is a clutch bearing that's being replaced, some tweaking to the trans so it goes into 4th when it's cold out, new stereo so that the USB port works and it stops freaking out my phone's bluetooth.
Already fixed the USB once before. Driver's seat was also replaced early because it lowered itself fast; now it lowers itself slowly and I live with it...

Build quality? meh.
But I still love it. It's my Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77