Build Thread: 2003 Montero XLS: Ol'Betsy #6

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
2003 Montero XLS: Ol'Betsy #6

Ol'Betsy #6 - new requirements, so a new platform!

First off, the longest build thread intro ever: skip to the fourth paragraph if all this stuff is uninteresting...

A bit of background for those that don't know me: started off my mitsu "career" with an 88 Raider back in '95, my first vehicle. Moved on to an 89-V6, and by 04, I had transplanted the V6 from the rusty shell of "Betsy2" into an 89 Montero LS lwb. This one got a body lift, 33x1250s, front LSD, bullbar/winch, etc. at around this time, gen2 diesels were eligible for Canadian import, so I finally found a cherry 91 swb 2.5 turbo diesel. This would replace my 89 wheeling rig, and my car, and make the 160km daily commute, as well as pull our tent trailer, and do wheeling duty.

Drove this for a few years, put over 100k kms on it, but lusted for a bit more power. When we decided on a hard-wall trailer, I knew it was time to upgrade. Although our trailer was only 14' long (Funfinder), it was still significantly heavier than the pop up, and also presented a full-size face to the wind. I imported a lwb 2800 diesel Pajero, and have been driving it now for over five years. It has served me well, has pulled the trailer all over Alberta and BC, has been to Moab twice (going back for a third/last time in two weeks) and also given me around 140k kms of trouble-free commuting kilometers. Here is her build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24693

But it's time for a change...

We've had three vehicles for much of this time, and for the last few years, the truck has sat much of the week while I took the smaller, more fuel efficient Galant, now Lancer Sportback on my long commute. So... We thought what about if my wife drove the new rig during the week for her short commute, and I could use it on weekends for adventures? Then we could sell the Pajero and her Outlander, and be down to two again.

Enter, the Gen3: the 3.8 v6 gives me more torque and hp for pulling, smoother and more comfortable for my wife to drive, and overall more civilized... Maybe?

We've been looking for months, but two weeks ago we finally pulled the trigger on a nice 2003 XLS with 134k kms on it, full maintenance records, and being sold by a mitsu dealer in Vancouver, BC. We drove 1000km to see it, after haggling and lots of pictures sent my way by the cooperative dealer. This thread will document my progress, as I alter it slightly to fit our needs...

image.jpg

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Gen3 floor coverings

So the dealership had detailed it before we picked it up, but we shampooed floor/seats again when we got it home. The mats, however, were beyond intervention, so I bought a roll of vinyl and we went to work making a new floor covering.
From this:
image.jpg

To this:
image.jpg

And the back seats:
image.jpg

Also covered the whole cargo area.

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Gen3 XLS double DIN audio upgrade

The next thing I wanted to take care of was the audio system. It could've been stock in 1993, much less 2003. Eventually I want to mount a backup camera, and we definitely wanted hands free calling and iPod hookup. And of course, double DIN. Many have moved the climate controls to the lower pocket to allow room for the taller head unit, and all reports said piece of cake. But I guess they didn't have an XLS with cable-actuated climate controls? What a giant pain!

Exploration time...
image.jpg

When I got behind the dash, I found that there wasn't nearly enough slack to relocate the controls down below using the existing routing. I had to release the cables on either side, and find new path. The RHS was simply a matter of reconnecting through the lower dash, but the left? Not so lucky... There was metal dash structure in the way. The only viable path was through it... I drilled a hole, filed it down, protected the cable sleeve, and carefully rerouted the cable via the new route.

image.jpg

There's a good bend on the cable, but it's short of a kink, and doesn't interfere with the temp operation. So now I had this:

image.jpg

This gave me some room to work with. I read reviews on many heads, but kept coming back to the Kenwood DDX371. My wife tried it at the local shop and came away impressed with its simple interface. But of course before I could install it, I had to deal with the factory amp and infinity speakers, connected via an OE round plug. This kit, via Amazon, did the trick!

image.jpg

Now I could get this truck into the modern age!

image.jpg

Much better! And sounds pretty good with the factory speakers, amp and sub.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Tires!

This truck came with fairly new 265/70r16s, Michelin LTX M+S with lots of siping. I'm gonna use these next winter, since I just traded a buddy some parts for nice set of Toyo open country ATs in 265/75r16s. I just need to find some wheels to mount em on. I really like the 01/02 wheels better, so I'll see if I can find some. When I do, I'll grab a pic of the new stance.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Nice start Phil! which ol' Betsy was the 2 Door Gen 2? was there a build thread on that one? I want to get one like it.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
That was Betsy4, Adam. Didn't do a build thread for her, although I wish I had.

Here is a side by side of Betsy 6 and 5. B5 gets her last hurrah in GONE Moab later this month before she goes up for sale when I get back. :( Gonna miss the old girl...

gen2 and 3.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That was Betsy4, Adam. Didn't do a build thread for her, although I wish I had.

Here is a side by side of Betsy 6 and 5. B5 gets her last hurrah in GONE Moab later this month before she goes up for sale when I get back. :( Gonna miss the old girl...

View attachment 224905

Nice! Betsy 6 will serve you well. Think you'll go back to diesel once the 3.2 becomes available for you? (Betsy #7 that is)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
That was the plan all along. Loved the 3.2 ever since it was released, and I could technically get one in the fall, an early '99. I checked into importing, but they are getting pricey on auction, and that's before I get it to the door and then legalized for North America. (I generally count on at least a grand or so to get it legal and up to standard - more if it needs tires, which they often do). But more so than that, the 4M41 JDMs that I've seen available, almost without exception, have lots of kms on them. Avg seems to be 200 or more. When you're buying sight unseen, it makes the risk greater (in my experience) as you raise the mileage.

When you add the price of diesel these days, the price of oil filters and twice as much oil (almost) per change, and the cost of fuel filters, which you change more often, I thought I'd try a V6 for a change. The returns so far have been pretty good, 21mpg or so... We do mostly highway...

I guess my answer is "probably", but we'll see. As far as the difference between the gen2 and gen3, I see the disadvantage mostly happening when you want to go above a 33" tire. Since that's what I've always run, and the gen3 can run them fine as is, its not a problem. In terms of bumpers and skids, these are upgrade areas on the gen2 as well, although maybe a little more urgent on the gen3? :sombrero: I am really anxious to see how the traction control compares to a "mechanical diff device". All indications say that if you have traction control, this is the gold standard. I'll be the judge, for my needs, as time goes on?

Suspension-wise, I've wheeled with at least one wheel in the air at all times for the last 19 years. I don't see that getting any worse with IFS/IRS... LOL.

The last plus - my wife LOVES it! Hmmm. Maybe this is a minus, since I haven't hardly driven it since we came back from Vancouver with it...

cnutco

Adventurer
Nice choice! Love the radio upgrade. Makes me wish I doubled up. The traction control is very impressive to say the least, but I still have plans in the future to be fully locked with the help of ARB.

CHEERS!
gy3ehydu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
A small update, but not much will happen with this build bread for the next while until I get back from GONE Moab in my gen2 and then put her up for sale...

In any event, rear cargo area is now covered like the front:

image.jpg

LED light conversions have started, with rear-most one first:

image.jpg

And finally, correct yet subtle homage has been paid:

image.jpg

More substantial changes when I get back from Moab in a few weeks. Things like tires (now sitting in the garage), dual batteries, etc.

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
It was a cheapy Chinese unit that my buddy got in quantity... The type with pointy ends, either side. It's "okay" but not bright enough compared to what I was hoping for. I may try and source more, and then do all interiors.

cnutco

Adventurer
Let me know if find good ones. I have looked a little locally, but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
So, while I was in Moab my buddy brought me some early (2001-02) alloys that were FS in Oregon. I have them in right now getting some Toyo Open Country AT's installed - 265-75s, for a slight upgrade in size. I'll run these during the summer and switch back to the OE wheels shod in Michelin LTX2s for the winter. Pics as soon as I get them on the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

93 Mitsubishi-Nissan Pajero turbo diesel with no lift, no lockers, but steering wheel moved to the curb side for better mall-crawling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater