Built 2nd gen Tacoma mileage?

The_Dude

Adventurer
Still debating this. I love my cruiser. The extra 3-4 mpg isn’t an earth shattering change in mileage to warrant a car payment. These trucks are extremely pricey too!

tacollie

Glamper
Still debating this. I love my cruiser. The extra 3-4 mpg isn’t an earth shattering change in mileage to warrant a car payment. These trucks are extremely pricey too!

I really like my Tacoma but if the 80 is going strong I would stick with it. Car payments are the worst!

Rocksylvania

My setup is completely different. But just for point of reference, my v6 automatic '05 tacoma access cab long bed has 6" lift and 35's. Gears (now 4.88) were replaced when I did airlockers. I average 12.5 mpg. Armor, bumpers, and winch have not been installed yet but I don't think the added 400ish pounds will make that much difference at this point. Would've attached a picture but the size is too large.

Dalko43

Explorer

With a more modern 4.0l v6 in the 2nd gen Tacoma's, you're looking at 3-4 extra mpg, but when you starting adding serious weight in the form of modifications, the mpg decreases a bit. High teens are the norm for heavily loaded/built 4runners and Tacoma's for highway driving; combined mpg is lower.

Unless you needed the extra bed space, I'd stick with your cruiser. It's classic vehicle and it seems to be working well for you. If you want to freshen up the engine, I'd look at different gasoline options (4.7l v8 or a GM smallblock) or a 2.8l Cummins crate engine. You won't necessarily recoup all of your money spent for such an upgrade should you decide to sell, but considering the LC 80 prices have already seen heavy depreciation, there could be some value added for such a swap....if you're really dissatisfied with the LC 80's inline 6 gasoline engine.

Clutch

<---Pass

Yeah....cost of those things buy an awful lot of fuel for what you already have.

I get sick of putting gas into my truck, so I start looking at something more fuel efficient...sure I'll save a little fuel...but it won't save me any money....

paranoid56

Adventurer
fully built, i avg around 10mpg lol
7mpg when pulling this.
dT8pIAjVT2TiGsaw-QpkCZ_P3pYrtTiV_-O_2C06Nz3j3kZtb7d_H-TFlobfwdvZ8iNnu8YW7S118n_9q3zN2nWxWZLIlOBHLwmz6wwmGm6EQPddg6IiNwO5enk96QZ-Oz1HRya38LXyDglmlxD1GzHxSEDt2udzZbpfPNhbY2pdTGLOcmSVYihSUnq19KPwIiLWJJ82H_qsCmDn0bNM03bKyvyNr8YIID8zmGVT9IsDsb-z4KcAvffBD2V5gaF8kT7XNPb_0-w3516k2te5FA1w4YmXP1WuH6jsTsN4x83S0O_A6SX5biKfGoEBS69Nw7GNAEsJ51PXir3YrApp_cgxMMEQ_V8-jFLNdfltswh6f_wmEn1_9nUfeF0K4O1v_NM8uaEqzoB5w-cS1UDN-sEHcHmk9K2yfBi1DUCMoTONfER5jLa_26Jk5QXo7tllMt-BAXSxSpO-sP2Gn9_BeMfj4MbO7CeRBA4u9mK4xz-KGJ6H69qz-yhXmOoqZg7mDr8CWEA_-5GAbMczcqohEtPOkKYIeYLq7nlo-9hJk8RAB4p9iKIpWhn-KAx6EpLV13XyRsCqtHvRqznOUvk3949D1GFWldMwScFUFLKAetcBHz7hwUUK5d_-7-IpzJYKbV0ErmJbznaAhcGyWqiXMMpNvPM=w1200-h900-no

Clutch

<---Pass
fully built, i avg around 10mpg lol
7mpg when pulling this.
dT8pIAjVT2TiGsaw-QpkCZ_P3pYrtTiV_-O_2C06Nz3j3kZtb7d_H-TFlobfwdvZ8iNnu8YW7S118n_9q3zN2nWxWZLIlOBHLwmz6wwmGm6EQPddg6IiNwO5enk96QZ-Oz1HRya38LXyDglmlxD1GzHxSEDt2udzZbpfPNhbY2pdTGLOcmSVYihSUnq19KPwIiLWJJ82H_qsCmDn0bNM03bKyvyNr8YIID8zmGVT9IsDsb-z4KcAvffBD2V5gaF8kT7XNPb_0-w3516k2te5FA1w4YmXP1WuH6jsTsN4x83S0O_A6SX5biKfGoEBS69Nw7GNAEsJ51PXir3YrApp_cgxMMEQ_V8-jFLNdfltswh6f_wmEn1_9nUfeF0K4O1v_NM8uaEqzoB5w-cS1UDN-sEHcHmk9K2yfBi1DUCMoTONfER5jLa_26Jk5QXo7tllMt-BAXSxSpO-sP2Gn9_BeMfj4MbO7CeRBA4u9mK4xz-KGJ6H69qz-yhXmOoqZg7mDr8CWEA_-5GAbMczcqohEtPOkKYIeYLq7nlo-9hJk8RAB4p9iKIpWhn-KAx6EpLV13XyRsCqtHvRqznOUvk3949D1GFWldMwScFUFLKAetcBHz7hwUUK5d_-7-IpzJYKbV0ErmJbznaAhcGyWqiXMMpNvPM=w1200-h900-no
Gee-bas! Don't think I could live with that for such a small truck, I grumble averaging 17 in mine. I just got done dirt bike riding with a guy who bought a used Ram 2500 DCLB (8' bed) with the 5.7 for only $15K, it had over 100K miles on it, but it looked brand new. Said he averages 9 pulling his TT. With the milage your getting, think I would rather have the Ram...would yank that Cruiser around like it wasn't even back there. And still get 3 dirt bikes in the bed.

tacollie

Glamper
Gee-bas! Don't think I could live with that for such a small truck, I grumble averaging 17 in mine. I just got done dirt bike riding with a guy who bought a used Ram 2500 DCLB (8' bed) with the 5.7 for only $15K, it had over 100K miles on it, but it looked brand new. Said he averages 9 pulling his TT. With the milage your getting, think I would rather have the Ram...would yank that Cruiser around like it wasn't even back there. And still get 3 dirt bikes in the bed.

Agreed. I have a buddy who bought 5.7 Ram 2500 brand new. It now has 150k miles. He averages the same mpgs as my taco. He owns a commercial construction company and regularly tows 13k lbs. It does it suprising well. He spends $2k on the front end every 18 months. Aside from that he has zero issues.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
2010 with 4.0L, 2.5 inch lift, 265/75s, stock otherwise.

13-15 city (accounting for tire size discrepancy) and 17-18 highway. Best I've EVER seen was 20 MPG.

I'm at 6,000 feet altitude though and don't drive like a granny.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed. I have a buddy who bought 5.7 Ram 2500 brand new. It now has 150k miles. He averages the same mpgs as my taco. He owns a commercial construction company and regularly tows 13k lbs. It does it suprising well. He spends $2k on the front end every 18 months. Aside from that he has zero issues.

3/4 Ton truck that you can actually haul and tow something...yeah I could live with 10 mpg.

10 mpg in a Taco...no ********** way! That is BS! :D :) I dunno....pretty much have lost interest in Toyotas. And I used to be such a fanboy.

Dalko43

Explorer
3/4 Ton truck that you can actually haul and tow something...yeah I could live with 10 mpg.

10 mpg in a Taco...no ********** way! That is BS! :D:) I dunno....pretty much have lost interest in Toyotas. And I used to be such a fanboy.

Bigger engines that are mildly worked seem to suffer less of a mpg penalty than smaller engines which are overworked. The 4.0l v6 in the 4runner and Tacoma is a reliable workhorse, but its mpg suffers quite a bit when put to work. It is what it is. At least the engine will keep on going, even if you need to refuel it frequently.

What the heck is your friend doing to his truck that he needs to spend $2k in repairs every 18 months? I don't think that's the norm for those trucks.

tacollie

Glamper
Bigger engines that are mildly worked seem to suffer less of a mpg penalty than smaller engines which are overworked. The 4.0l v6 in the 4runner and Tacoma is a reliable workhorse, but its mpg suffers quite a bit when put to work. It is what it is. At least the engine will keep on going, even if you need to refuel it frequently.

What the heck is your friend doing to his truck that he needs to spend $2k in repairs every 18 months? I don't think that's the norm for those trucks.

He drives like a granny but he does drive a lot of miles. 20-25k annually. My brother had similar issues with his Ram work truck but that thing is heavy and gets used.

Clutch

<---Pass

Yeah, you have to ring its' fricken neck to get any power of them when pulling loads...mpg's take a nose dive. Where a bigger engine just lopes along.

While I like the Tacoma and the 4Runner, even though the shine has worn off from the brand for me...not sure if I would call them workhorses...since payload and towing is so low. Maybe ultra reliable weekend warriors? :)

Perhaps Toyota gets all the fan fair, but I never really hear too many complaints about the gasser engines from the big three. (or maybe I just don't pay attention???)

While the engine is still going strong in mine getting ready to roll 368K (which I think is impressive) I have darn near rebuilt just about everything else under the truck the last 4 years, have to put about $1500-2000 a year to keep it going...just put in its' 2nd aftermarket Rack & Pinion last week and a cam shaft seal. The rack itself was still good, had a little play on an inner tierod...so I replaced everything including outer tierods since it was all apart. Still getting a little play in the steering which is coming from the slip joint in the steering column that I need to tack weld, but don't feel like messing with it right now. Riding conditions are primo out there, rather be riding the dirt bike. Than more BS truck maintenance.

Yes these trucks are reliable...to a point, then they start nickel and diming you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL