Built to last? Phoenix - FWC Grandby

viking69

Hello, I have been scouring the Internet for information on used FWC and Phoenix campers. As expected I have come across many opinions and information, particularly on the Grandby's. The FWC campers all have excellent reviews and really appear to hold their value. Phoenix also seem to have very good reviews. I have budgeted a maximum of $5500 for my purchase which obviously is going to put me in an older model. I plan on using the camper on my f350, for ski trips and camping at the ski area (1 night a week) with my wife and young sons (5 & 6) this winter so having the maximum usable and efficient use of space will be important. It seems that the older Phoenix has extra usable space under the bed, but I sure like the low profile of the FWC. I am looking at a 2004 8ft. Phoenix that has the windows accessed from the inside vs. a 2002 grandby which has the window access on the outside (a consideration while camping in winter). The Phoenix also appears to have a more comfortable dinette seating arrangement with a table vs the bench seat in the grandby (not sure on the table arrangement in the older grandby?) Comfortable seating with a good table is important or those little boys will be spilling their spaghetti all over. The seating will also need convert to their bed, so the table arrangement will need to be stowable. I also like the small window on the back of the FWC that the Phoenix does not have.
I would really appreciate some honest opinions and feedback on others experiences on evaluating these campers from 2005 and earlier. Other than the fiberglass vs aluminum siding (which makes no difference to me) what can I expect on the build quality and longevity, particularly the structural components such as differences in the aluminum frame? Will the 8 ft. Phoenix have more interior space and last as long as the grandby assuming good maintenance? What are critical components to evaluate on each considering age and known issues? I really want to be informed on this decision as I want a camper that will not result in many significant repairs, will last considering the ski trips, elk hunting, mountain bike trips, and adventures here in the northwest for many years to come. Again I am interested in feedback on the older campers. Both campers I am considering are 3-4 hours away so I would like to be as informed as possible on my best option. I understand that crawling in and all over both of them would be the most ideal.
Honest feedback, recommendations and experiences with these older models is sincerely appreciated. Please provide pictures of your camper or issues that you have had to support your feedback if available. If you are aware of any other threads or links with good solid reviews those would be great as well.
Thanks!
Sean

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
The 2002 FWC Grandby's were a pretty good year.

If you want to PM me a link or pictures of the used Grandby you are looking at, I would be glad to give you some tips & tricks, and look over the pictures to maybe point out anything that doesn't look right.

I can also help with some basic wiring and camper install instructions if you end up buying it.

Or shoot me an e-mail to my direct e-mail address ... stan@fourwh.com

I think some of the older Phoenix campers were made with a wood frame construction (at least I think so)?

You might want to call or e-mail (Phoenix Campers) them to check with the 2004 Phoenix was built with for the frame.

Their newer campers I believe are made with the aluminum frame construction.

Would be glad to help if I can.

Thanks.

Stan

rotti

Adventurer
Webster Pass 2.jpg

creek cross.jpg

I voted with my wallet and went with a new FWC Hawk. Previously I owned a Grandby for over twenty years and had excellent luck with it.

To be honest though, two adults and two youngsters in the dead of winter will be ahhh......interesting.

Last edited:

viking69

Thanks to all of you for your follow up. Stan it speaks directly to your product and business with such a committment and your offer. I sent you an email with some additional information. Rotti, your photos are awesome and i have been spending a lot of time on WTW as well. I guess the bottom line is that the quality, and longevity of the Grandby's are very well documented. I don't see as much on the older phoenixs such as the model below.

5L95Gd5Ed3G73N33H8c9lfc131eb925c51e2c.jpg

5L35Gd5Md3Lc3F73Jac9l0bc707424e4916da.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3