bumpers

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Can you please run some flat strap along your verticals. That is just dangerous and will cut anything you hit in 1/2. If you are looking to see how to do a proper job check out the ARB ones. They are designed to rigorous safety standards.

So instead of being cut in half you get bludgeoned to death by the rest of it. I don't think it matters much.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
So which would you prefer to be hit with. A steel edge 1/4" wide or a flat edge 1" wide.

That could be your kid/dog that runs out on the road. For the sake of $10 worth of steel and a couple pounds of weight it can be made a lot safer and stronger.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
So which would you prefer to be hit with. A steel edge 1/4" wide or a flat edge 1" wide.

That could be your kid/dog that runs out on the road. For the sake of $10 worth of steel and a couple pounds of weight it can be made a lot safer and stronger.

I wouldn't want to be hit by either. If you get hit hard enough for the 1/4" plate to cut you, that 1" wide strap will deflect you over to the gigantic battling ram of a bumper and you're dead either way.

But I guess while we're adding pedestrian safety devices, what do you say about bolting a matress onto the front of that bad boy? Pillow top please. Plush top would be a good fall back.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Actually Tom I agree with you. A pillowtop on that bar would be good. :) And those pedestrians! Where I come from a pedestrian was someone who had no friends and had lost their license for DUI. But seriously I have had to help cleanup the carnage that poorly designed bullbars helped cause. Probably why I bothered to comment at all on this thread. Usually I am a "Its your rig do what you like with it" type of guy.

For those that are looking at this thread to build their own bumpers check out this guide (yes it is from Australia but with only 20 million people they probably have more bullbars that the USA with its 280 million people).

Bullbar Construction Guide

punisher1130

Adventurer
Actually Tom I agree with you. A pillowtop on that bar would be good. :) And those pedestrians! Where I come from a pedestrian was someone who had no friends and had lost their license for DUI. But seriously I have had to help cleanup the carnage that poorly designed bullbars helped cause. Probably why I bothered to comment at all on this thread. Usually I am a "Its your rig do what you like with it" type of guy.

For those that are looking at this thread to build their own bumpers check out this guide (yes it is from Australia but with only 20 million people they probably have more bullbars that the USA with its 280 million people).

I made this post originally to find out which design works best for the terrain I plan on running around in. I have a design in mind but wanted info before committing to the build.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer

Wow, very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Rockhounder

Explorer
Can you please run some flat strap along your verticals. That is just dangerous and will cut anything you hit in 1/2. If you are looking to see how to do a proper job check out the ARB ones. They are designed to rigorous safety standards.

Anything hit with that bumper, with a strong enough impact to cut a deer in half will cause fatal blunt force trauma anyway. If I were to god forbid hit a pedestrian going at a fast enough speed to cut them in half will be just as fatal with the stock bumper and grille/headlight/hood. The bumper was specifically designed to prevent a deer hit from flinging it up over the hood to go through the windshield by quartering and locking the hit into the three barred zones. This was specifically designed and built by me right after my wife hit a deer in Montana with our 97 suburban, and seeing how super lucky she and our 3 year old daughter was to have the front half of the deer bounce up over the hood and come through the windshield between their seats and miss them.

If I wanted to go the european rule way, where if they had their way every car would have a marshmallow front end..... then that would be fine, but interestingly, they are now finding the new mandated designs are increasing the incidence of flinging the people up over the hood and into the windscreen, so now you have two fatalities, rather than just the one. Kind of like the same brand of govt mandating what is good for us without thinking the resulting changes through... how do you like them wonderful carb compliant gas cans???? they actually guarantee that you now end up spilling 50 times more fuel and "fumes" then you ever did with the old style cans.... but try to bring that up at govt meetings and you are labeled a neanderthal environmental hater.

Note, other than the purposely designed flat plate verticals, my design follows most of the Australian recommendations for Rural environment vehicles. (flush with top of hood line, soft rounded sides and edges on the horizontal surfaces, angles back on the top side, mounts Over existing bumper, with a 4" crumple zone extra built in to the new bumper.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader

You must not have much light to the sides for turning with those flat plates on each side... did you add cornering lights to it?

Looks like you are ready for the next Mad Max movie :)

new-images-from-mad-max-fury-road-77257-00-470-75.jpg

Last edited:

Rockhounder

Explorer
You must not have much light to the sides for turning with those flat plates on each side... did you add cornering lights to it?

Looks like you are ready for the next Mad Max movie :)

new-images-from-mad-max-fury-road-77257-00-470-75.jpg

I love those vehicles. I think that those designs reflect the Australian peoples outlet to vent those pent up feelings of being overly nannied and repressed by their govt. A fantasy outlet for their dreams of being to build and drive what they want.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I love those vehicles. I think that those designs reflect the Australian peoples outlet to vent those pent up feelings of being overly nannied and repressed by their govt. A fantasy outlet for their dreams of being to build and drive what they want.

I have to agree, I can understand some things in some case but other wise don't regulate, now if only I can get a actual answer to my question lol

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have to agree, I can understand some things in some case but other wise don't regulate, now if only I can get a actual answer to my question lol
As for your original question, I've had both a tube bumper (on my '99 4runner) and a plate bumper (on my '07) and while the tube bumper was much lighter, it was also a little bit ugly simply because you may not realize just how much crap your factory bumper is hiding. With a tube bumper all that stuff is visible (and vulnerable to damage as well.) Radiator, radiator supports, AC lines, windshield washer tanks, etc. The plate bumper did a better job of concealing the workings though the cost was greater weight.
My thought, after two vehicles in a row with custom bumpers, is that I think I'm over my "custom bumper" phase of vehicle ownership. As cool as my custom bumpers were, they ultimately were not worth the weight and cost. Trimming the factory bumper for better clearance would have been a smarter idea and that's likely what I'll do in the future. I no longer have any desire to mount a winch and I haven't owned a Hi Lift jack in 10 years, probably won't ever own one again (I just don't go that hardcore, but that's just me.)
My $0.02: I'd say go with the least amount of modification that you reasonably need. And based solely on what I've read in multiple forums, I'd say avoid Tactical Armor Group A/K/A Kennesaw Mountain, like the plague.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Sorry I jumped into your thread without answering your question.

My recommendation is a plate bumper that is not over engineered and is designed to protect the core of the vehicle and push the animals to the sides or under the vehicle if possible. If you get a chance checkout the ARB bumpers and check the basic design criteria and metal thickness. Also be careful of your mounting to ensure you do not reduce the effectiveness of the crumple zones. A bullbar is no substitute for all the engineering the vehicle designers put in for your safety.

The method Rockhounder used to design his bar is fine (CAD cardboard aided design) If you combined this with the design guidelines I posted before and don't oversize the materials you will be fine. Stay away from the locomotive cow catcher style.

I have built more than 20 bullbars from the madmax style on old Diamond T's to subarus. What I have learned over time that less is better and good engineering beats over engineering.

punisher1130

Adventurer
That is a good point, didn't think about the crumple zones in the frame I will have to keep that in mind. As for protecting the vitals of the truck with the tubes I had diamond plate to protect and hide all that, (I'd post pictures of what I'm thinking but my laptop isn't letting me) but it sounds like, other then appearance, plate would be best as long as I can keep it really simple to manage weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk