Burley_Industries prototype expedition trailer

Burley

Adventurer
I'm crazy anxious to see it. Unfortunately I got a call saying the powder they thought they had, they don't have and it will be Monday before they even get the right powder.

BSR

Utter Numpty
I'm crazy anxious to see it. Unfortunately I got a call saying the powder they thought they had, they don't have and it will be Monday before they even get the right powder.

Bummer.

We'll all be back to pester you on Tuesday then. :)

Burley

Adventurer
I got the trailer back from powder coating a few days ago. I haven't posted and pictures because I wan't very happy with the quality of the powder coating job. Long story short, when I dropped it off they said they could do a color called champagne that was very similar to the champagne on my Lexus LX450. They didn't have a sample to look at but i decided to go with it. What they failed to mention is they have never used this color (from what I gather) and that it is a very metallic color. When I went to pick it up I found the first of two issues, the metallic bunched up in the gun and then would release randomly in the coating. So there are a few spots that have metallic 'shavings' splattered all over them. They discounted the price from $700 to $400 after I 'lost my ********' about it. After I got the trailer home I was able to find a fairly close paint that I used to cover the spots. The second issue i'm finding is the coating seems thin in spots. It's difficult to tell for sure right now, but If that is the case, I'll probably take it back and make them redo the whole thing. Maybe black if it comes to that, they seemed good at black.

So here are the pictures. They pulled the axle when they coated it, which I appreciate, but then put it back in backwards. So I pulled it out and painted it and the leafs. I also got the tent on. I'm working on wiring this weekend.

colorado matt

Adventurer
time to go camping .... got a way to weigh it? .... how did the match for color end up? lets see the setup ....... except for previous stated stuff are you happy ? .... any hindsight ? .... I think it looks great ... thanks for sharing .... Matt

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Powder coat is kind of a love hate thing. Durable when done right, but color match can be something of an issue. They just don't have the color choices available to them to guarantee a factory match. I always go back and forth when doing a trailer but usually end up settling for white. It goes with anything so if I change vehicles I don't have to worry about my Firestorm Candy Apple Super Red trailer matching the Gecko Green Jeep I just bought. You get the picture.

Plus if you decide to do any future mods that require cut/grind/weld or some combination, you kind of destroy the integrity of the powder coat.

If what you have goes south and you have to have them redo it, just some things to consider. I plan to strip my little M416 of the Plastidip I put on it, and then shoot it with something like white Monstaliner. Easy to repair if I get the itch to screw something....I mean make some mods. :)

To be sure though, what you've got is looking good. I like the overall design.

Burley

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Overall I am happy with it. Especially now that I'm getting it put back together. The color difference doesn't bother me to much. The trailer is closer to an Army desert sand color than anything else. I'm pretty happy with it.
I don't yet have a weight for it.
In hindsight things I would change, just off the top of my head, are how I attached the skins. I'd like to build a similar frame on the next one, have it coated, then attach a much lighter, maybe even aluminum, skins. I'd like to lighten the whole trailer, especially the lid.

TwinStick

Explorer
I think this is a FANTASTIC build !!! Are you planning on making these a business ? (Burley Industries) or was that just a play on words ?

Question: Would it have been feasible to make the lid rack tall enough to put the spare tire on it, under the RTT, or would it become too heavy to lift, even with strong/multiple struts ?

Burley

Adventurer
I think this is a FANTASTIC build !!! Are you planning on making these a business ? (Burley Industries) or was that just a play on words ?

Question: Would it have been feasible to make the lid rack tall enough to put the spare tire on it, under the RTT, or would it become too heavy to lift, even with strong/multiple struts ?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I do plan to build more and sell them. Burley Industries Custom Fabrication LLC is my actual registered LLC. I plan to use and abuse this one for a while and try to learn as much as I can about what works and what doesn't work before I jump into another build. I could make room on the lid for the tire but the weight would be tremendous. It already weighs far to much. The other consideration is strut pressure. To have enough pressure to hold the lid up with the tire on it but also be able to close it if you ever remove the tire is a bit of a conundrum.

Thanks for the interest!
Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk