Burley_Industries prototype expedition trailer

Burley

Adventurer
I got the jerry can holder built last night. I leaning towards mounting it in front of the left side fener. Also had the idea of putting it at the front of the basket like in the picture. What do you guys think?

Burley

Adventurer
No worries. I would like to have 2 jerry cans but I'm leaning towards placing this one in front of the fender to keep tongue weight down. The right side of the trailer has the spigot for the on board water.

colorado matt

Adventurer
sure looks great with the tent on ... I see you have the lip for sealing the tailgate also done .... i thought about e-track or some such system but your tie downs seem like such a simple solution ... i remembered my grandpa bending big nails and welding them to make spots like that on the wagon as soon as i saw them .. cant wait to see it powder coated .... Matt

BSR

Utter Numpty
Once minor comment; I've had issues storing them on their side with fuel in once they've been used a bit, because of capillary action on the cap.
I keep mine upright now, less aggro and latch better. Might not matter if they're in better condition than mine though!!!

Nice fab though, very clean execution. Much more finesse than the trailer body.
(although I do very much like the trailer body)

Keep it up, great work. :bigok:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sure like the skills! Nice work.

Never mentioned this before on here, and your fenders aren't that bad, as bad as others, but I have no idea where off roaders get the idea that tapered fenders are cool, Jeeps don't go 200 MPH on a freaking race track. 100% tire coverage is required by law around here and it most likely is in every state. Fenders aren't for your vehicle, they are for other vehicles and be dang sure, if you flip a rock on my vehicle, you're going to be paying for it. If your vehicle has sufficient fenders with 100% tire coverage any debris kicked up is then a road hazard, but if your fenders are not sufficient then it is NOT a road hazard it is negligence. I've won two cases on this matter and several insurance companies don't even fight claims of failure to secure a load or flying objects from a vehicle.

If you have an off road machine without fenders, fine, have fun playing in the mud and throwing up a roaster tail, just keep the thing off the streets. Those that make skinny fenders for the cool look are probably saying "for off road use only", if you design it and it's not compliant then you'll own it, it's not the debris that hits the guy behind you so much as his reaction after he is hit and your design becomes the cause of an accident with more serious results. Not cool but just plain dumb having tires stick out beyond your fenders. Fenders or tire coverage should cover an area that protects or diverts flying debris from a level plane extending from the hub upward over the entire upper tire/wheel and you can have plenty of clearance so long as the upper half is covered.

If you're a skilled attorney, feel free to comment and address a defense, otherwise we might hear (read) mythical opinions concerning tortious acts (intentional and unintentional) and liability. :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sure like the skills! Nice work.

Never mentioned this before on here, and your fenders aren't that bad, as bad as others, but I have no idea where off roaders get the idea that tapered fenders are cool.

If you're a skilled attorney, feel free to comment and address a defense, otherwise we might hear (read) mythical opinions concerning tortious acts (intentional and unintentional) and liability. :)

Geez fella, rant much? :). Some kind of pet peeve I take it. I get that because I've got some of my own but in this particular case how did you manage to go from " your tapered fenders don't look that bad" to...well, all that above?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Geez fella, rant much? :). Some kind of pet peeve I take it. I get that because I've got some of my own but in this particular case how did you manage to go from " your tapered fenders don't look that bad" to...well, all that above?

Very good point! Another pet peeve is being critical of another's taste or what they may think is attractive, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I wasn't trying to insult anyone from any design angle. Function on the road is another issue. Yes, probably a little over the top, but it can be dangerous for others. :)

Burley

Adventurer
Very good point! Another pet peeve is being critical of another's taste or what they may think is attractive, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I wasn't trying to insult anyone from any design angle. Function on the road is another issue. Yes, probably a little over the top, but it can be dangerous for others. :)

I see where your coming from I guess. If it seems like the fenders are not sufficient I'll add some small mud flaps on the back. A while back I found a company online that does custom size and custom logo mud flaps. So that is definitely an option.

Burley

Adventurer
Once minor comment; I've had issues storing them on their side with fuel in once they've been used a bit, because of capillary action on the cap.
I keep mine upright now, less aggro and latch better. Might not matter if they're in better condition than mine though!!!

Nice fab though, very clean execution. Much more finesse than the trailer body.
(although I do very much like the trailer body)

Keep it up, great work. :bigok:

I've never heard that about the Jerry cans, thanks for the info. The can I have is a front runner and it's only half a season old or so. I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm glad you like the holder. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Burley

Adventurer
Here is the Jerry can mounted. I decided to keep the weight low and off the tongue. Plus I think it looks better here.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Jerry holder looks good. You should laser cut "Expedition Rated" on the sides someplace. Gotta be good for at least $300-$400 a pop then. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk