Burzon's 2004 4Runner SE (V6) Overland Build

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
Your right! It looks very similar! I was definitely wrong on the 4x4 labs reference on my rear bumper and should fix that. That is the closest bumper to mine I have seen although my gas can rack is still a different design. I wish I knew who built it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tellurunner

So what do you think of the 4.56 gears as far as power, fuel mileage and low speed crawling/off roading compared to the stock gears? I have a similar setup as you and was considering upgrading.

MBurzon

4.56 gearing was a needed change given the 33's and all of the added weight. My gas mileage is 13-17MPG.

The high range difference is very noticeable. Not so much in low range.

Last edited:

Tx9812valve

My guess would be Crozhawk. He's over on toyota120 a lot. He pretty much is just a guy in his garage with a mig welder that has fabricated everything from those tire carriers to full rear bumpers/swing outs to fully fabricating a solid axle swap and 4link for his runner. The thing is insane. As far as I gather he was out on the east coast for a while and helped out quite a few people with fabricating stuff. I have seen a few others he built and they all seemed to have different jerry can racks and slightly different features but overall very similar. I guess if you really want to know you could always pm him over on 120.

MBurzon

Trying to figure out how to run the Rubicon trail on my trip...

Last edited:

MBurzon

I was driving through Essex, VT and decided to take an important business call while driving. It was one of my clients and during the call I ended up securing additional work. Just as we were closing the conversation and the deal, I see blue police lights in my rear view mirror. "Excuse me sir, I saw you driving through town with your phone up to your ear. Are you aware that is against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving..." The officer hit me with a $162, 0 point fine and afterwards I decided it was the time to get Bluetooth installed in the truck.

My brother-in-law gifted me a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH head unit for helping him sell his car this past year. I went to Best Buy to get an install quote and the labor cost alone was over $400. More if I wanted a back-up camera installed. I decided to order all of the parts online and do the job myself and while it was a bit time consuming, it was actually pretty easy.

All in, it took me about 6 hours. It would have been less had I done more research on the front end and not tried to reuse a universal steering wheel controller set up for a VW GTI, as well as research how to set up the Pioneer parking brake bypass for the DVD player before taking my interior all apart. These two snafus added approximately 2-3 hours to the job.

The final result looks really slick, adds bluetooth, a backup camera, and a dvd player to my rig, in addition to some fun built in apps. The quality of sound from my factory speakers is also a significant improvement because the EQ features are much more advanced than the factory head unit.

Total Cost:

Pioneer Head Unit: Free
Harness, bezel, splices, electrical tape etc.: approximately $50
Rear View Camera: $25
Steering wheel button adapter from Best Buy: $80 (there are cheaper ones online but the programming feature on this product was really slick and offered some additional custom programming of steering wheel buttons. ie. press and hold mode button and activate passenger ejector seat) :)
Total: $160ish.

Walking into BestBuy and purchasing the same set up with install would run well over $800. #Winning! #Anyonecandothis #electricalsavant

The End

Love your truck, I have one as well and love it. Quick question though, you said you had 3.73s stock, are you sure. From what I've found they came with 3.91s. I only ask because I need to replace my front diff and if my old Tacoma diff will work I will just swap it in. Thanks.

MBurzon

Yeah I'm pretty sure. When I did the regear I looked up the factory gear ratio by the VIN number. Don't take my word for it though. I would run your own VIN to confirm your ratio.

MBurzon

I just finished a two month trip from Burlington, Vermont to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and back. I'm going to post up pictures over the Thanksgiving holiday. :) Be safe!

MBurzon

Here are some of my favorite photos from my 2015 Four Corners Tour. These pics were from our drive through the Maroon Bells National Forest from Aspen to Crested Butte. My 4Runner did great.

Last edited:

MBurzon

I spent a couple of weeks bouncing around Breckenridge/Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne as well as a few nights up on Boreas Pass. At one point, I had to bring the 4Runner in for a wheel bearing replacement and had a Tinder date lined up the same night. My bud Alex loaned me his Scout so I didn't have to bail - she loved it...awesome friend!

MBurzon

I then drove down to Buena Vista for a few days. I found the scenery beautiful and the town warm and welcoming. Not a big place but a fun outdoor getaway. The kayak park in town was pretty epic. Fun mountain bike trails as well. The old truck and Airstream was an art exhibit very near my campsite just outside of town.

MBurzon

From Buena Vista I left for Durango for the work week and then made my voyage to Moab! (I found it very hard to find free camping in Durango. This picture was taken very near my campsite.)

MBurzon

I'm getting out of order here. Before heading to Aspen, my friend Adam and I did some wheeling in Idaho Springs. Adam blew a diff in a difficult rock garden and we had a hell of a time getting out. Winching for hours and then airing down to 12psi and sending it in 2WD finally did the trick. Fortunately Adam had a spare front diff...that was the only spare he had! Unfortunately we didn't have a socket needed to remove his CV's so we lost a day and a half all said and done. Good times though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal