Buying a Land Rover

suecyde

Observer
Hello... I am not exactly new to the forums or to offroading... but am far from an expert or vet. I mostly lurk, read and ask questions. I am in general an auto enthusiast... so I have no preference in auto makers. I try to see the advantages of each vehicle.

I am a former owner of an 07 FJ Cruiser 6MT. I loved it and enjoyed everywhere and anywhere it took me. Unfortunately, I had to sell it and at the time jumped into an 86 Blazer which I now own. With a baby girl on the way, I am in search of a better vehicle. Something more comfortable, safe and more accessible to the rear areas.

The vehicle will be my DD and child carrier... but would love to be able to introduce my coming Princess to the outdoors through roads less traveled. So I am obviously look for a vehicle that is as gas efficient as a capable off-road vehicle can be, safe for my Princess, Comfortable to keep the Boss Queen Happy yet room and rugged enough to keep me happy. I need it to be at least a Weekend wheeler/ camping vehicle.

I looked at several vehicles from a Commander (the wife did not like it), a 4Runner (which is out of my price range...at least a newer one), a LC80 (which I really like...but being FT 4WD is a killer)... so now I am stuck between a Disco or RRC. I have tried to read as much as I can about both. Looking at pictures and reading build up threads and it is apparent that with any Land Rover, maintenance is KEY.

keeping in mind on how I will be using this vehicle.. Which would you go for, what years and why?... I look forward to hearing everyone's response and further educating myself. Thanks. -Suecyde

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
When you say newer 4Runner-what do you mean? The gen 4 is a great rig and doesn't have to be heavily built to be a family wheeler/DD. I've got the 4.0 V6 in mine and get about 17-18 in town and 20-22 in the highway. LR's are not know for good MPG's unless you get a diesel but that is getting up in price and hard to find.

On a side note-your screen name is kinda creeping me out, is there a story to it?

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Your looking for something that gets good mpg, isn't Full time four wheel drive and will keep the wife happy? Land Rover isn't it.

evilfij

Explorer
Your looking for something that gets good mpg, isn't Full time four wheel drive and will keep the wife happy? Land Rover isn't it.

Land Rover owners are the only people I know who try to talk people out of buying the type of car they own!

If you are a home mechanic, a land rover is fine albeit with horrid MPG (12-13 on premium).

suecyde

Observer
For what ever reason I was under the impression that RRCs had locking hubs and that Discos had in cab switches for 4wd. This bites... I have always loved the way Discos look with 4" lifts and Pizza Cutters.

So are there any particular years in particular that are better in MPG than others? I really like Discos and having a hard time looking away from them.

suecyde

Observer
On a side note-your screen name is kinda creeping me out, is there a story to it?

Military issued.. lol Kept doing **** put me in bad positions. My Gunny chewed my *** saying I was suicidal... jokingly he would call me Suicide.. Before I knew it, it had stuck... so I came up with a clever way to spell it and make it my own.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Wow, the first one is indeed a nice truck for $9K.

the second one is WAY overpriced in my opinion

That being said, the 4Runner would be a much better fit for your requirements - especially if you are on a tight budget.
But it's going to be hard to find a nice 4Runner for that price range. Unless I sell you mine....

suecyde

Observer
Unless I sell you mine....

Now I am strait out and blunt kind of a person. So I hope this does not come out the wrong way or wrong someone wrong, as it is not intended to do so, but.......

Why would you want to do that?....

I guess it is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot for asking such a question, but I rather know the answer than to wonder.

Paladin

Banned
The second one does indeed look really really nice, but IMO is priced too low, which makes me wonder. I always hear about the mythical $9k 04 DII, but I've never actually seen a nice one. Be very careful. Really inspect the engine carefully, check for leaks, knocking noises, etc.

If you HAVE to get a Rover, an 04 DII is a very good way to go, IMO. It's the best of the D2's for a lot of reasons. CDL, 4.6L engine, better SLABS. I don't think any other vehicle save a 110 will give you the room you need for a family.

But, the milage is going to hurt. Stock I got around 15mpg with a mixed commute and 18mpg was the best I ever achieved on a highway drive with cruise set at 60mph.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
The second one does indeed look really really nice, but IMO is priced too low, which makes me wonder. I always hear about the mythical $9k 04 DII, but I've never actually seen a nice one. Be very careful. Really inspect the engine carefully, check for leaks, knocking noises, etc.

If you HAVE to get a Rover, an 04 DII is a very good way to go, IMO. It's the best of the D2's for a lot of reasons. CDL, 4.6L engine, better SLABS. I don't think any other vehicle save a 110 will give you the room you need for a family.

But, the milage is going to hurt. Stock I got around 15mpg with a mixed commute and 18mpg was the best I ever achieved on a highway drive with cruise set at 60mph.

04 all the way!! I love mine!:sombrero:

Wander

Expedition Leader
No real better year for mileage-they are all within a couple mpg and keep in mind they drink top shelf (premium). 04 DII's are prefered for the better engine and CDL, etc. In the DI range the 99's are prefered and then the 94/95's for their simplicity. RRC's are on the low end of the price range now-so good buys can be had BUT they are getting kind of old and many will need work to be a DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77