Buying a used Discovery in 2020

soflorovers

If lack of charm means more utility and less bling; I'll take my LR3 all day! lol. On a serious note, LR4 is really a gem compared to LR3 when it comes to comfort and quality; but the LR3 IMO is all utility and in design factor between the two and I love it for that.

IMO, if the LR3 came with a V8, coils, and 17" wheels with all the fixes of the 08-09 models, it would have been the best all around Rover they built. Oh, and put the alternator on top damn-it! lol
D2 has the alternator on top, but everything else is F'd.

D2 has the alternator on top, but everything else is F'd.

Yeah, alternator that low on an all-terrain vehicle makes zero sense. Not hard to change cuz lord knows I've done enough of them but why or why would anyone put it down there; regardless of what vehicle JAG/BMW/FORD it was designed for, the alternator should be elevated for a few reasons outside of water submersion.

Sorry about the plug wires; sounds like my old F150 where the rear two plugs were almost unreachable in any sense.

Blaise

You're dead on about everything.

The LR3 is great, but if you can get an LR4 with the timing chain stuff already done, you could always just swap on LR3 front brakes. Not like the LR3/4 weigh any different. If I can't swing a defender in the next year, that's likely what I'll do as well.

The LR3 is great, but if you can get an LR4 with the timing chain stuff already done, you could always just swap on LR3 front brakes. Not like the LR3/4 weigh any different. If I can't swing a defender in the next year, that's likely what I'll do as well.

Which means you can put 17" on an LR4 then? If LR3 brakes fit, that means V6 brakes would too with the right caliber brackets; can anyone confirm? Probably for another thread but........anyone pipe in I'd be happy to learn this option.

h2os2

Adventurer
I have owned the D2 for 15 years, still a great truck, but it has it's quirks as it gets older. Working on it has it's up and downs and yeah that coil pack is a ********** to get too. The comfort isn't for everyone, not friendly in room for a tall person.
Also owned the 2008 LR3 for 10 years, that was a love / hate relationship. That truck was in the shop more than on the road it felt like sometimes. It was my wife's truck. I could go into many problems that had, but the short list was; bad control arms, gas tank issues, tailgate latch breaks, hood gas struts replacement. The LR3 was great offroad and a nice cruising vehicle, but still had that every other suv look and non rugged look of a LR.

Blaise

Which means you can put 17" on an LR4 then? If LR3 brakes fit, that means V6 brakes would too with the right caliber brackets; can anyone confirm? Probably for another thread but........anyone pipe in I'd be happy to learn this option.

Looks like I am eating my words partially. After reviewing the caliper bracket pictures, looks like you'd have to do a front spindle swap. Not particularly difficult or expensive, given the cost of crashed LR3s and that the frames are identical.

But with a spindle swap, I don't see why you couldn't run a 17" wheel. 18s work great for me though.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Why would you seemingly downground and item like that? Shame.

Btw just as curiosity I looked up D1s and D2s. All the D1s were basically "hey I beat the crap out of this but now its beyond the realm of is usable life unless you really love these cars, I'm ready to move on" versus D2s "I hate this car, its designed by satan, so set it on fire and return it to where it hath come."

Blaise

The spindle on the LR3 supports a brake caliper which is smaller and allows the use of an 18" wheel. It is very difficult to find a proper AT tire in 19", so running LR3 hardware would allow an 18" setup.

My local auto parts store actually stocks both LR3 and LR4 caliper brackets, so I could do a verification if folks are interested. If the bolt patterns are identical I'd put money on it being a direct swap. Which would be kind of a big deal...

Anyone in PNW got an LR4 who'd want to let me turn wrenches for em?

Last edited:

soflorovers

I never understood this. Downsizing brakes is the last thing I'd to to an LR3/4, especially as the tire size starts to increase and the lbs start to stack on. Just get a set of 18" Compomotives that clear the larger brakes. If you can afford the aftermarket front/rear bumpers, racks and sliders, then you can afford the correct wheels (or just forego one of the aforementioned options). My LR3 with (5) 35"s, a rack, sliders and a steel front bumper needs MORE brakes, not less. I can't imagine driving something that weighs just as much and has an additional 80+hp with less/equivalent brakes. Just one man's opinion though...

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have 18s on my LR3 with no issues, I don't see what all the fuss is. I have renewed the rotors and pads with OEM parts and there is no downsizing involved. I traded out the stock 19s for the Lucky8 steel wheels that are not only better than alloy rims but less expensive as well. There are a ton of older LR3 vehicles out there and you only have to check on CL to find them. I get parts from a local guy that has at least 9 LR vehicles to choose from at 1/5th of the cost of parts from the dealer.
I certainly would not have smaller and less efficient brakes on a vehicle that kitted out weighs over 7000 pounds. I had it weighed at a truck weigh station on a trip, full of traveling stuff, petrol, me and all my gear. Surprised me how heavy it really is.

Blaise

I never understood this. Downsizing brakes is the last thing I'd to to an LR3/4, especially as the tire size starts to increase and the lbs start to stack on. Just get a set of 18" Compomotives that clear the larger brakes. If you can afford the aftermarket front/rear bumpers, racks and sliders, then you can afford the correct wheels (or just forego one of the aforementioned options). My LR3 with (5) 35"s, a rack, sliders and a steel front bumper needs MORE brakes, not less. I can't imagine driving something that weighs just as much and has an additional 80+hp with less/equivalent brakes. Just one man's opinion though...

Very fair point, but not all of us are running 35s ;)

I'm very happy on 31s, but there's just no good 31" options for 19" wheels. There's no weight difference between the LR3 and 4. I also don't run aftermarket bumpers, rack, sliders, etc - thus, very different use case.

In your case - you're 100% correct. Run the big-boy brakes. I'd run a bone-stock LR4 with 18" tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77