Buying a used Discovery in 2020

I have 17" wheels on my LR3 with KM2's and its the best upgrade I've done. I'll go on record saying that 90% of people who put lifts and larger tires in both weight and diameter to include the armor and trail kit, NEVER upgrade their brakes. I on the other hand am one of those people who downgraded my brake size after research and known usage from an LR OEM design; the V6 LR3 which by comparison almost identical to the V8 and the diameter of the front rotors is not this huge increase light everyone thinks; I'll let you all research that.

However, with that said, if the 18" and 19" diameter brakes everyone else seems to be running are perfect for the factory spec vehicle, then by general consensus everyone on this site should be going to larger brakes to stuff the biggest and baddest lifts and armor and trail overland weight; still waiting:sleep::coffee::unsure: as they add lift and wheel spacers and huge, heavy ass wheels, bumpers, sliders, roof racks, and then put the family in like noooooo big deal.

Nobody seems to consider the stress of the steering and suspension and brakes that are going to degrade the overall safety of the vehicles that is NOT by design so the argument is really mute at this point until I see someone actually do this with their continued "best lift" mods. Let's talk about the driveline components, gear mesh, torque converter, trans temp, axles, tie-rods, steering box, steering pump, differential, traction control, shallllllllllI go on?

On that note, I'm running factory brakes, factory wheels, on 17" KM2 [increase in weight, very little diameter (32")], have made ZERO cuts, grinds, lift spacers, or wheel spacers, and I've taken almost 350lbs worth of seats, panels, and other ******** that LR put in the vehicle to allow me to lower CG and increase my trail weight load out without overloading the vehicle. AND, I have 100% of my "LR designed"

If anyone wants to put their LR3 or LR4 up against mine or wants to drive it in ANY terrain you want; sign me up as I really want to debunk this thought of reduced capability due to a few "mm" on the front rotors.

Great conversations by the way; I like this stuff so don't anyone get butt hurt over this!

"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit"- Johnny "******************" Cochran

I rest my case!

soflorovers

I have 17" wheels on my LR3 with KM2's and its the best upgrade I've done. I'll go on record saying that 90% of people who put lifts and larger tires in both weight and diameter to include the armor and trail kit, NEVER upgrade their brakes. I on the other hand am one of those people who downgraded my brake size after research and known usage from an LR OEM design; the V6 LR3 which by comparison almost identical to the V8 and the diameter of the front rotors is not this huge increase light everyone thinks; I'll let you all research that.

However, with that said, if the 18" and 19" diameter brakes everyone else seems to be running are perfect for the factory spec vehicle, then by general consensus everyone on this site should be going to larger brakes to stuff the biggest and baddest lifts and armor and trail overland weight; still waiting:sleep::coffee::unsure: as they add lift and wheel spacers and huge, heavy ass wheels, bumpers, sliders, roof racks, and then put the family in like noooooo big deal.

Nobody seems to consider the stress of the steering and suspension and brakes that are going to degrade the overall safety of the vehicles that is NOT by design so the argument is really mute at this point until I see someone actually do this with their continued "best lift" mods. Let's talk about the driveline components, gear mesh, torque converter, trans temp, axles, tie-rods, steering box, steering pump, differential, traction control, shallllllllllI go on?

On that note, I'm running factory brakes, factory wheels, on 17" KM2 [increase in weight, very little diameter (32")], have made ZERO cuts, grinds, lift spacers, or wheel spacers, and I've taken almost 350lbs worth of seats, panels, and other ******** that LR put in the vehicle to allow me to lower CG and increase my trail weight load out without overloading the vehicle. AND, I have 100% of my "LR designed"

If anyone wants to put their LR3 or LR4 up against mine or wants to drive it in ANY terrain you want; sign me up as I really want to debunk this thought of reduced capability due to a few "mm" on the front rotors.

Great conversations by the way; I like this stuff so don't anyone get butt hurt over this!

"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit"- Johnny "******************" Cochran

I rest my case!
I'm glad this setup works for you. At the end of the day, different people have different needs and thus different solutions apply. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my delivery; my point was that on my current setup, I would NEVER consider downsizing brakes due to the extreme needs of my particular vehicle, and that most people who are looking to modify their LR3s for overland use also fall into my same category. Most people aren't gutting their LR3s and pulling weight out of them, but rather they're doing the opposite and adding utility in the form of drawers, racks, bumpers, larger tires, etc.... So in that regard, and as my truck currently sits, the brakes are already inadequate without having downsized. The additional weight that was added by the tires, armor and front bumper are actually making me consider upgrading my pads and fluid; in no world do I think the 17" wheels and smaller brakes would work for my setup. The reality is that stock-for-stock, you have reduced the braking capability of your vehicle as compared to an equivalent V8 LR3 on 18" in stock guise. For reasons mentioned above, I advise against downsizing for the vast majority of people on here. As for your comments about the increased wear/load to the driveline on modified LR3s, I 100% agree. My LR3 is undoubtedly more stressed and a worse road vehicle in its current state than when LR created it. However, it is tucking a 35" and is probably one of the most capable examples of an LR3 out there. The extra 3" of tire really does help conquer obstacles that a stock LR3 could never do, and to some that may be worth the increased loads to the driveline.

I'm glad this setup works for you. At the end of the day, different people have different needs and thus different solutions apply. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my delivery; my point was that on my current setup, I would NEVER consider downsizing brakes due to the extreme needs of my particular vehicle, and that most people who are looking to modify their LR3s for overland use also fall into my same category. Most people aren't gutting their LR3s and pulling weight out of them, but rather they're doing the opposite and adding utility in the form of drawers, racks, bumpers, larger tires, etc.... So in that regard, and as my truck currently sits, the brakes are already inadequate without having downsized. The additional weight that was added by the tires, armor and front bumper are actually making me consider upgrading my pads and fluid; in no world do I think the 17" wheels and smaller brakes would work for my setup. The reality is that stock-for-stock, you have reduced the braking capability of your vehicle as compared to an equivalent V8 LR3 on 18" in stock guise. For reasons mentioned above, I advise against downsizing for the vast majority of people on here. As for your comments about the increased wear/load to the driveline on modified LR3s, I 100% agree. My LR3 is undoubtedly more stressed and a worse road vehicle in its current state than when LR created it. However, it is tucking a 35" and is probably one of the most capable examples of an LR3 out there. The extra 3" of tire really does help conquer obstacles that a stock LR3 could never do, and to some that may be worth the increased loads to the driveline.

Well said! I think the best part about it is that a clear thought process goes into the modifications in all aspects for the user. You are correct, my LR3 has reduced braking capability compared to a stock LR3 if I was to return mine back to stock; outside of the brake mod. In turn, I believe it will be returned to the same capability with the new EBC brakes.

Ultimately, it's about who, what, where, when, and why we want to use our vehicles for that will lead to our modifications.

atomandeames

I really want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread. A much clearer picture has emerged than I originally imagined. Definitely leaning towards an LR3 after reading all this.

Some quick thoughts:

Utility day to day: LR3 > D1
Comfort: LR3 > > D1
Speed: LR3 >> D1
Looks: toss up, one is iconic, the other is decent enough when built but isn't iconic (yet). I think we have to say D1 > LR3
Field maintenance: D1 > LR3 (if something goes bad, you can limp out easier in a D1)
Durability: D1 > LR3 (will it take protracted pounding)

Ray, I love this little summary. I also wanted to thank you for your LR3 build thread. You have a gorgeous truck and I think I've read that thread in its entirety at least twice now. I definitely see a lot of things I'd like to try and emulate.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I did think about what I was doing when I began to modify my LR3. The rear seats I removed were the same weight as the drawers I installed so that was a balance in my mind. The tire I removed from the under carriage and replaced with a system I designed to hold two Nato cans of petrol equaled out almost pound for pound and kept the weight low to help the COG.

I did add an ARB bumper to the front to replace the plastic thing LR put there and the plastic rear bumper I removed and replaced with a metal one does make me feel a bit safer. Granted the weight gain was not in the best interests of the original design. The tire now hangs off the rear bumper. Still low but not on the roof rack as some I have seen.

I added an aluminum roof rack to hold the occasional bit of gear for off road travel so I may have compromised the COG a bit there.
Also added sliders/tree bumper equipment to the bottom to help with getting over the occasional high rocks I encounter while trail riding, to save the under panels, more weight gain.

I have exceeded the design elements of the original vehicle but am fairly confident that the elements added or subtracted will not really make much difference to the 300+ HP of the vehicle. It was already a heavy thing.

Happy trails

soflorovers

I really want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread. A much clearer picture has emerged than I originally imagined. Definitely leaning towards an LR3 after reading all this.

Ray, I love this little summary. I also wanted to thank you for your LR3 build thread. You have a gorgeous truck and I think I've read that thread in its entirety at least twice now. I definitely see a lot of things I'd like to try and emulate.
Logic will always lead you towards the LR3. The heart wants a D1/D2.

XJLI

Adventurer
I want to pick up a LR3 in a couple months. I had a D1 for 3 years and it was one of my 'dream trucks' as a kid, and I loved and miss it. But for comfort and such, the newer trucks are way way better. If you want to build a wheeler, you definately want an older solid axle truck.

Ray_G

Explorer

Wow. Thanks for the words. Holler if I can help, I laugh at my thread sometimes because it is such an expose of trial and tribulation.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77