Buying an Old 4Runner or Landcruiser for Noob

Joash

Adventurer
I'm trying to get into off-roading/overlanding on a budget. At this point I can't replace my primary vehicle with a good 4x4, so I'm thinking about perhaps buying a beater for adventures. I'm not a mechanical person at all. The extent of my experience is putting on a spare tire.

I was looking at ads for 1990s 4Runners with lots of miles (approaching 200k).

With a vehicle that heavily used, what can I expect?

Replacing the engine? the transmission?

Is it a matter of a few simple upgrades are we talking endless repairs and headaches?

I know it's hard to estimate with such vague information, but can someone give me an idea of how much to expect to spend to make the thing ready for taking on family trips in the desert?

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Get an 85-89 4runner (the one where the top comes off) with 22re 4cyl and a 5spd. Super easy to work on and tons of online support/writeups. Fantastic vehicle to learn mechanics on.

I would steer clear of the V6 4runner of that era as they have a known issue with headgaskets blowing and aren't as easy to work on the as the 4cyl.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Or for the price of an old worn out 4runner you could get a low mileage Isuzu trooper, Mitusbishi Montero (or Sport), or a domestic 4wd that won't need much in repair and be ready to go.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Each example you come across is likely to be a completely different situation. Some may go a long time without needing anything. Some might fall apart around you. With some very careful inspection and patience, you should be able to find a good one. Try to find out as much as possible about its history and maintenance. I always prefer the completely unmodified examples. Modded trucks often led rougher lives and the aftermarket parts usually aren't as reliable.

I love the 1st-gen 4runner (1984-1989)...I've had the '85 for 15 years and plan on many more. The 22R-E, 2.4L I-4 has a great reputation for longevity and is easy to work on, and the rest of the drive train is stout. The 1st gen is the 2-door body style, very similar to the Truck. It has a removable, fiberglass hard top. 1984-1985s had the solid front axle. 1986 and newer has independent front suspension (IFS). Fuel injection was standard from 1985 and newer. 3VZ-E 3.0L V6 option added in 1988.

I do love the styling of the 2nd-gen 4runner (1990-1995). It was the first, all-steel-bodied 4runner available with 4-doors. Probably my biggest gripe with them is the power back window--it can be temperamental, and it needs to work in order to open the back tailgate. The 1st gen has the power back window as well but you can get around using it by switching to a soft top. The 3VZ-E 3.0L V6 has a polarizing reputation. It did have some head gasket trouble when it was new but the issues have pretty well been resolved by replacement under the technical service bulletin, which all of them should have had by now. It's not as potent a V6 as the newer ones, but it does have a chunk more output than the 22R-E and runs smoothly, if in good repair. Those who have them usually like them. The 4-speed automatic is not very power efficient. The 5-speed manual leaves you with more usable power. Unfortunately, most of the 2nd-gens have the automatic.

The 3rd-gen 4runner (1996-2002) had some key improvements. It has more powerful engines including the very satisfying 3.4L 5VZ-FE V6 and the 16v 2.7L 3R-Z I-4, which had almost identical power output to the earlier 3.0 V6. The third gen got a rear lift gate that replaced the tailgate, a roomier rear seat with better access and additional options such as the available, electric rear differential locker. Towing capacity with the V6 is increased to 5,000 lbs. Automatic-transmission examples can experience leaking trans coolers, leading to "pink milkshake" issue with engine coolant. High-mile examples should have lower ball joints replaced...some have been failing.

I prefer the 4runners to the Land Cruisers for general exploring--they're lighter, more fuel efficient and usually easier to own.

In the Land Cruiser arena, you'll probably encounter the FJ-60, FJ-62, FJ-80, FZJ-80 and FJ-100 (depending on how new you go).

FJ-60 (1980-1988): Utilitarian, large 4-door wagon with large-displacement, carbureted inline-6. 4-speed manual trans common.
FJ-62 (1988-1990): Same body as FJ-60, but fuel injection added and manual transmission dropped. Minor interior refinements.
FJ-80 (1990-1991): New, more rounded body style, full-time 4wd
FZJ-80 (1993-1997): Same body as the FJ-80, but with more powerful 1FZ-FE 4.5L inline-6. Towing capacity increased.
FJ-100 (1998-2007): New, larger body style. Lexus-derived 4.7L 2UZ-FE V8 replaces inline-6s. Independent front suspension replaces solid front axle.

There are also other variants you might find--research them as you encounter them if you're interested.

Last edited:

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I would recommend either an 80's 4runner with the 2.4l or 1996-2002 4runner with the 3.4l.

80's 4R easy to work on. (mostly) cheap parts with many aftermarket vendors. decent MPG. Very robust. Good longevity, even pushing past 200k. Also can be used as a truck if needed.

1996-2002 4R. 3.4l has much better power and refinements. The 3.4l still isn't a bad motor to work on. little more complex than the 2.4l but not bad. Still has great longevity.

The 4R's with the 3.0l have a bad wrap but I think much of that has been taken care of. However, if you're going to go with the weight of a V6 why not get V6 power? instead of just a bit better than the I4?

I would stay away from the cruisers if you're on a budget. They're great vehicles but tend to be more costly to buy and own. good examples for a decent price do come up but it's much easier to find a 4R.(IMO) Aftermarket tends to be more expensive. And in general plan on getting 10-12 MPG.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Of the 4Runners, I would recommend a 96-02 (3rd gen), and of those, the 99-02. I've had 3 2nd gens (92, 2 95s) and 3 3rd gens (01, 98, 02), and the 3rd gens are much better trucks. The 3.4 is a better engine than the 3.0 (though still a little underpowered it is a HUGE improvement, and utterly reliable - I think every 2nd gen had head gasket problems - Toyota replaced them free for a while, and I replaced a set myself - that is job I never want to do again!). The 2nd gen also had problems with transmission overheating. The 3rd gen is much more comfortable, spacious, and the suspension is better and easier to modify (2nd gens had torsion bar front suspension). You can find a good 3rd gen for $3500-8000, depending on year, mileage, options, etc. The 2000 limited with e-locker is the 'prize' - with multi-mode 4WD. The 01-02 didn't have an e-locker option, but all had multi-mode 4WD. You can add a lunchbox locker or LSD for under $500 (I have a Detroit TruTrac LSD in my 02). You can expect 300,000 miles from a well-maintained 3rd gen.

Box Rocket

Or for the price of an old worn out 4runner you could get a low mileage Isuzu trooper, Mitusbishi Montero (or Sport), or a domestic 4wd that won't need much in repair and be ready to go.

I've had a bit of experience with all three of those vehicles and if it were me I'd choose the Toyota hands down. Generally speaking they will be more robust and more reliable. However, reliability is as much a factor of previous owner maintenance as it is brand. That being said, an early 4Runner is a great option. I MUCH prefer the 4cyl 22RE over the 3VZ V6. The V6 had very little increase in power, worse mpg and had common head gasket issues. The 22R/RE motors are great little motors. The manual transmissions in those trucks are quite reliable too. As far as drivetrain goes you will likely need more maintenance on the front end (IFS suspension) than you will on the motor/trans. Things like idler arms and rod ends could be worn out and need replacement. If you are lucky and find a '85 4Runner with a solid front axle you won't have those issues.

There is better aftermarket support for the Toyota than there is the Isuzu (which has no factory support anymore) or the Mitsubishi that has completely dropped the SUVs from their US market lineup.

Some Old Man Emu torsion bars and rear springs on an IFS 4Runner would be a fun little adventure rig. If you get the '95-'89 era 4Runner with a removeable top, you can fit a 33x10.50 tire with no lift.

tanglefoot outlined the Land Cruiser options pretty well.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
When you're dealing with a vehicle that has around 200k and is 20 years old, it is always a bit of a crap shoot. Anything can happen, so just be ready for that. Trucks with 4 cyl engines and manual transmissions will be the most reliable, easiest and cheapest to work on. Stay away from anything with rust. If you find one in good condition with a documented history of maintenance for a decent price jump on it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

You didn't say what your budget was but I agree with the above. Too many people out there think Toyota was sprinkled with some kind of magic fairy dust and are asking way too much for a clapped out beater with 250k on the clock. Not worth it to pay the "Toyota tax" when all you want is something to get you to the boonies.

For a lot less than a Toyota you can probably find a 1st or 2nd gen Explorer, spend $500 or so upgrading the suspension and you'll have a vehicle that is every bit as capable and probably more comfortable on the road than an 80's Toyota.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Well, as a lover of the Toyota kool aid Id would go with a 96-02 4runner. If you look in the bigger city areas they seem to be a little less. More available I guess. Mechanical stuff can all be fixed,but rust? Stay away from that. I wouldnt be afraid of a 3.4 engine with 200k, mine has 185k on it, at all as long as it had been serviced regularly. That engine is near bullet proof. 1st gen runners have more of a cool factor but that dont make any more reliable, plus the 3rd gen is gonn a ride & drive a bunch better. 2nd gen aint to bad,little smaller than 3rd. 3.0 kinda gets a worse rap than reality,bu they are quite short on power. If going with 2nd gen w 3.0 id try to go with 5spd. Ive owned a 2nd gen and own a 3rd & 4th gen. Which btw, dont overlook the 4th.Prices on those are coming down depending on area. Landcruiser? Pesonally I would love to have one but I just cant justify it over a runner. There are pros & cons for each, but I think the 4runner would be more econonical to own. Good luck in the search.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, as a lover of the Toyota kool aid Id would go with a 96-02 4runner. If you look in the bigger city areas they seem to be a little less. More available I guess. Mechanical stuff can all be fixed,but rust? Stay away from that. I wouldnt be afraid of a 3.4 engine with 200k, mine has 185k on it, at all as long as it had been serviced regularly. That engine is near bullet proof. 1st gen runners have more of a cool factor but that dont make any more reliable, plus the 3rd gen is gonn a ride & drive a bunch better. .

To add to that, you can buy a used low mile 3.4 from Japan for about $1500...

3rd and 4th gen 4Runners are probably my favorite, good motors, better suspension than the previous gens.

I have own two 22re equipped vehicles. 1st gen '85 4Runner and a '92 pick-up...anemic at best.

86tuning

Adventurer
Skip the Landcruiser unless you have deep pockets or absolutely MUST have one.

What the others have said, stay away from the 3.0L engines.

If you're actually looking for a 4wheeling truck to play around with, an early (pre-85) toy pickup that isn't rusted to death could be a good choice. Solid axles, lots of parts available, fit 33s with minimal work and cost (other than tires).

I had an 84 Toyota 4x4 pickup with 33x10.5x15 tires using stock suspension. I did move the axle forwards 1.5" to make some space, and modified the steering linkage and track rod. But essentially stock and drove it everywhere! Only actual mod was a lockrite front locker and the tires.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
If you're actually looking for a 4wheeling truck to play around with, an early (pre-85) toy pickup that isn't rusted to death could be a good choice. Solid axles, lots of parts available, fit 33s with minimal work and cost (other than tires).

Ehh.. If his mechanical ability is really as bad as he described, I wouldnt advise a 79-83. They're getting to that point of needed regular maintenance to keep them driveable especially if he is wanting to do some longer trips. So he would either have to have a steep learning curve or deep enough pockets to pay someone else. If he can afford to pay someone else, he has deep enough pockets for something a little newer and nicer. Plus, it takes a whole lot of love to be able to DD an 81 Toyota. If he's going from a nice commuter car and wanting a 4x4 to pretty much drive on forest roads then he'll hate the leaf sprung solid axle.

I would say look for a nice:
- 1st gen 4runner(84-89) with the 22re and 5spd.
- 2nd gen 4runner(90-95) with the 22re and 5spd. (hard to find)
- 2nd or 3rd gen pickup (84-95) with the 22re and 5spd.

If you can afford it, look into some 3rd gen 4runner and if you can find one (good luck btw) a 1st gen Tacoma.

Its just hard to give advise without knowing some type of budget, but the vehicles I list can be had from 3k-5k in very good shape mechanically and physically.

Please steer clear of crap domestics (i.e. Chevrolet or Ford). Everyone I know that has had either has had nothing but problems, including my immediate family. No offence, but I wouldn't recommend an Exploder, a.k.a. Explorer, to anyone. And I'm not some crazy Toyota-Purist (maybe thats a lie :p ). For real though, I appreciate a fine vehicle no matter the make. Just be wary and do lots of research. There is a reason Toyotas seem like they're made of gold.

86tuning

Adventurer
Ehh.. If his mechanical ability is really as bad as he described, I wouldnt advise a 79-83. They're getting to that point of needed regular maintenance to keep them driveable especially if he is wanting to do some longer trips.

If you can afford it, look into some 3rd gen 4runner and if you can find one (good luck btw) a 1st gen Tacoma.

Some good points here. I'd go with a 3.4L Tacoma or 4Runner over any of the other suggestions in this thread.

Obviously try to find one with good mainentance that hasn't been beaten to death. A pre-purchase inspection at your local Toyota dealership could be money very well spent.

A 97 or newer 4Runner Limited may have a rear locker, so look for the button and check to see if you can make it work.

All that said, if you're looking for a beater to play on the rocks and stuff, the old solid axle trucks work well for that. Not so good if you're trying to squeeze a family in though.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Be ware of aftermarket availability too. Anything you want to upgrade on an LC will cost a minimum of $1K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach