C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

Spectyr

Observer
Regarding the tire carrier, I spoke with mark from detours USA when I got mine and he seems like a good guy. Give them a call regarding a slightly modified version. Maybe you can get him to do an overland model with gas can carrier and anything else you need.

Cheers

Mark

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
New headlights! The old sealed beams were original, rusty on the inside, and filled with moisture. I don't know how they kept burning for so long. As much as I wanted something fancy, I kept it real with some Sylvania Silverstars.

6325835733_efdf00ac01_z.jpg

Oh yeah. Although there is no indication on this thread, I have actually been out with the Jeep a little lately. ;)

6229021162_eb8ab76a1b_z.jpg

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I love your Jeep. I am selling mine to buy a stock one and go this route because after 4" of lift it is no fun as a daily driver and all the other things that go along with it.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Regarding the Jensen Heavy Duty JHD1620B stereo - I'm on my 3rd one. When the dashboard compartment gets a little toasty, the iPod connection randomly disconnects. This problem has been consistent on two different units, and I'm awaiting the arrival of my 3rd. I'm stubbornly trying to get it sorted, because it's otherwise a great head-unit for overland travel. However... buyer beware.

http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jens...-sirius-satellite-radio-ready-stereo-317.html

Pros

• Utilitarian OE look w/out the glitz
  • Weather band, kicks in automatically for weather emergencies
  • Sounds great
  • Battery alarm / auto-shutoff when battery power is low
  • iPod / iPhone / Sirius compatible w/ no CD
  • Supposedly dust and vibration resistant

Cons

• Questionable engineering quality / reliability
  • Bulky proprietary iPod cable (why not usb?)
  • Slow and unintuitive music navigation

5436732958_2cefefd1eb_z.jpg

idaxj97

Adventurer
cshontz i had a question i just recently bought myself an arb bumper for my xj i mounted my lightforce 170's when i get out on the highway my temp runs above 210, did you have the same issues with your lights if so what have you done to keep the temp down?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
cshontz i had a question i just recently bought myself an arb bumper for my xj i mounted my lightforce 170's when i get out on the highway my temp runs above 210, did you have the same issues with your lights if so what have you done to keep the temp down?

Nope, I've never had a cooling issue due to my bumper and auxiliary light configuration. It might reduce air-flow somewhat, but certainly not to an extent that would cause a problem. To me, this suggests your cooling system might not be in the best health. If you're regularly creeping over 220, it's time to be concerned.

I just had my whole cooling system replaced in August 2011, and now it's as cool as a cucumber. No special parts, just factory replacement. It seldom goes over 190. Just tonight, 30 minutes into my evening commute (in 30 degree weather) it held fast at 175-ish.

6502633517_da4f2434a1_m.jpg

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Honestly once you have a locker you wonder why you never got one in the first place. Best mod on my Jeep for sure it can go anywhere thanks to rear end being locked up.

idaxj97

Adventurer
Thanks without my lights i stay around 190 but with them it runs around 220 may have to take it in and have a good flushing.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
As a side-note, I'm extremely happy with the Sylvania Silverstars sealed beam replacements. I'm glad that I didn't spend money on something fancy. Thank you to all who recommended.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Replaced the stereo (again) today. So far, so good.

6528224997_701d5d8f57_z.jpg

I might've found something, though. I'm not sure this gap is supposed to be here. It's a gaping gap for the defrost duct-work. Now, I could be wrong because everything felt solid, but the heater core was just replaced back in August. I'm wondering if the garage assembled things carelessly.

6528223603_44aec5075e.jpg

Sorted. Let's not tell anyone about this "fix", shall we?

6528224165_abb9d28ebd.jpg

JohnnyBoots

Damn, I just burned through 20+ pages of this thread today while I should have been working...oops!

Digging the thread/mods/jeep/etc. I appreciate the details and factory look you're doing. I've solved your sports car dilemma by buying a 04 Mini Cooper S as my daily with my mostly stock...for now 98 XJ. Your Jeep will definitely provide some of the blueprint for mine, thanks.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I just had extensive brake work done. New brakes all around. Front-end checked and aligned.

My exhaust is original, and is not looking so good. I ordered a stainless-steel cat back system, which will hopefully last the life of the vehicle.

Ordered new marker lights from ARB, again. Since mine are kaput, and state inspection is due.

I am looking to get my CB radio working next, for vehicle-to-vehicle communication. It hasn't worked for years. Installing an antenna will help... if my radio itself is even any good anymore.

Going to Vermont Overland Rally, so I'm trying to whip the Cherokee into shape. It's really good right now, mechanically. Ready for adventure.

ElaxD.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Alright, just came in from the garage. I got the CB antenna all mounted up on the ARB bullbar. I went so far this time to check grounds - previously I would just assume grounds were okay - and it took some finagling, but I can confirm that the antenna seems to be installed correctly.

If that is the case, then... I got this Jeep in 2005, installed the CB in 2006, and... got it working in 2012. Let's hope it finally works like a proper CB radio, shall we?

7854438932_32bd86b8e9_z.jpg

Also got a Borla cat-back system to replace my original 12 year old exhaust, which wasn't lookin' so good. I'd like to say that I'm perfectly happy with this considerable investment, but I'm not. I thought the exhaust would be a little more subtle.

I didn't know the tip would be welded on, so it was my plan to omit the tip, and trim the tailpipe so people couldn't see it, and so it wouldn't interfere with the terrain. That wasn't the case, obviously. The tip is a part of the pipe, and is immediately followed by a weird (pointless) bend directly under the leaf spring. People with extended shackles on their XJ should avoid.

My mechanic did trim roughly 3" off of the muffler output which made it a tad shorter, but even with this trim, it sticks out past the bumper. If I ever back into terrain, or get pinned at the base of an incline, my exhaust is going to be vulnerable. So Borla clearly didn't have the off-road enthusiast in mind.

On the other hand, I do like the stainless-steel construction, and the gurgle at idle. I'd just otherwise prefer an exhaust that isn't meant to be seen or heard. Lesson learned.

7854437754_a34bed967e_z.jpg

The Cherokee is in the best shape it's been in for a long time. All ready for Overland Rally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven