C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Bored waiting for a bunch of pics to upload (unrelated to anything here), so posting.

Although it's the best-looking (imo) stereo head unit I can find, and has some nice utility built-in, avoid the Jensen JHD1620B like the plague. I'm on my 4th one, because I wanted so badly to believe it was reliable, and my iPhone will no longer hold a connection for longer than a few seconds. It could be something as simple as the cable. Don't care anymore. I am so done with it.

Goodyear Duratrac tires. They've been lasting a while, and are good performing, both on-road and off-road. I'm particularly happy that the 16s are available in C. Mine are 3/4 spent, and they're not wearing well anymore. My rotation habits are... so-so. However, they're currently singing more than any tire I've ever owned, and really making life unpleasant.

Now folks generally dig this tire, and they're not wrong. It's remotely possible that I have something going on with my front end. However, I had the shop scrutinize over my front end, and they said everything was cool. Nevertheless, my meat isn't playing nice, and is really bumming me out on my daily commute.

Borla exhaust. Cherokee owners, don't get the cat back system. Just get the muffler. The rear pipe was not designed with you in mind, and I can't wait until I accidentally crush it. No, I didn't want to waste my money, but... it happened. It's not hurting anything right now, so I'm taking no action, however it's vulnerable, ugly, and there is potential for it to interfere with suspension.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'll never refer to the evolution of my Cherokee as a "build". That would imply that I'm building something, and I'm not. It's more like Chris's "gradually-bolt-stuff-on-to-make-life-a-little-better" ...thing. And in reality, I'm spending more time and money trying to keep it mechanically sound than I am actually using it, let alone bolting on the fun stuff.

Driving a 12 year old vehicle, 30 miles every day, doesn't make it easy to focus on the items that would make it a generously-outfitted overland vehicle. I could get a new vehicle, but that re-introduces car payments, and the vicious cycle begins again.

That leads me to my next point that any mechanically sound vehicle is an ideal overland vehicle. It's too easy to get caught up in the glitz and glamour of all of the great gear that's out there. I know this, because I am caught up in it myself. I have a wish-list a mile long, and I've had this wish-list for years. If I had the means, my Cherokee would have all kinds of wretched excess hanging off of it.

But you know what? In the spirit of exploration, that amounts to very little. The view through your windshield doesn't change with a snorkel, a roof-top tent, dual batteries, lockers, and a 12V fridge. Without all of that equipment, you are still (more than likely) able to find out what lies just around the bend.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I was just going to complain about my DieHard Platinum seeming a little weak lately. For some reason, I had it in my head that I've had for only a little over a year, but then I reviewed this thread and saw that I installed it in 4/2010. Time flies.

Slow start this morning in the cold, and this past summer, it wasn't running the 12V fridge for more than several hours with the vehicle off. Granted it's not brand new anymore, but isn't it still a little early for this battery to be fading? I seem to recall better longevity from my yellow top.

jim65wagon

I was just going to complain about my DieHard Platinum seeming a little weak lately. For some reason, I had it in my head that I've had for only a little over a year, but then I reviewed this thread and saw that I installed it in 4/2010. Time flies.

Slow start this morning in the cold, and this past summer, it wasn't running the 12V fridge for more than several hours with the vehicle off. Granted it's not brand new anymore, but isn't it still a little early for this battery to be fading? I seem to recall better longevity from my yellow top.

How's the condition of the starter? That could be drawing more juice than before if it's original/oldish....colder weather will exacerbate the issue.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
How's the condition of the starter? That could be drawing more juice than before if it's original/oldish....colder weather will exacerbate the issue.

Starter is original, but seems smooth and strong. Given the poor performance with the 12V fridge this summer, I'm leaning toward the battery. Alternator has also entered my mind, but did a lot of driving yesterday, so it should've had ample juice this morning.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thinking about either adding a car to my stable in 2013, OR throwing more money at the Cherokee. What I want to do is send it to the shop for a week to have some stuff done...

- 4.10 gears; more appropriate than current 3.55 and should be easier on the trans
- NV241OR to replace 231; I hate not being able to go as slow as the Rubicon in front of me
- BFG ATs (again); Duratracs ultimately became annoyingly loud after a few years
- Precisely set pinion angles; I eyeballed it back in 2005, and I'll betcha they could be better

That's really it, providing it doesn't need emergency maintenance between now and then. In my old age, my goal is to make the Cherokee more comfortable as a daily driver while preserving its off-road prowess. Or... get a car, and not do any of that stuff.

- BFG ATs (again); Duratracs ultimately became annoyingly loud after a few years

I'm glad you say this as a definitive statement. I was debating the two the last time I got tires, but feared the E rating. I trust your judgement on choosing the BFGs as the superior tire. Eh, next time.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm glad you say this as a definitive statement. I was debating the two the last time I got tires, but feared the E rating. I trust your judgement on choosing the BFGs as the superior tire. Eh, next time.

FWIW, I didn't rotate as often as I should have, although I did rotate. I also prefer the C rating. I feel it's more appropriate for Cherokees, but the BFG AT is marginally less aggressive, with slightly better noise and manners, and I can still completely depend on it off-pavement.

If the Jeep wasn't my DD, wouldn't have to nit-pick over finding a tire that's a silver bullet.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Heater core went south. As of last weekend, it's now emitting a strong smell of coolant. As of today, my windows are steaming up, and coolant is dripping on my passenger side floor mat.

I've been driving with it like this, but on Saturday I'm going to bypass the heater core. This is the most horrible problem in the world. I feel so nauseous.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
1) Day 1: Coolant smell on interior of Jeep - my 10 year old son comments, "What smells like fish food?", and I think, "That's odd." and hope that it's coming from the car in front of me. It wasn't.

2) Day 3: In the next few days, stench worsens to disgustingly, nauseatingly intolerable. Googling was done, and plans were made to temporarily bypass the heater core on the coming Saturday, and go without heat until I could get it into a shop. Lovely.

3) Day 4: Windows fogging up considerably, and coolant started dripping on my passenger side floor mat. Engine temperature still good. I stopped using the heat.

4) Day 5 - Part 1: 20 minutes into my 30 minute drive to work, smoke/steam started pouring from my vents. I immediately pulled over, noted the location of my laptop, in case I had to evacuate quickly, and checked for fire. Decided it was steam (but still bad), and resumed driving to work with all of my windows open in 28-degree weather. Engine temperature still good.

5) Day 5 - Part 2: During my lunch break, checked Autotrader.com for vehicles. Saw one I liked 30 miles away. Took rest of the day to check it out. Drove to car dealer in 30-degree weather with windows down, steam from my vents spewing out the windows, and pulling my hooded sweater tightly around my face. Engine temperature still good.

6) Day 5 - Part 3: Liked the car I went to look at, made an offer, and sealed the deal. Noticed that the dealer had a nice shop and seemed to put a lot of love into their cars, so I asked them to keep the Cherokee, take a look at it, and make things right. Went out to the Cherokee to move my stuff to the new car, and there was coolant running down the parking lot from the radiator. Not sure why I was seeing this, because until now, the problem seemed to all be on the cab side of the firewall. Didn't care. I had my new car. The shop was going to look at it. I was done with this issue.

EDIT: I wonder if it was draining from the heater core drain hole, and running down the frame rail to the front of the vehicle. Seems to be a lot of coolant for that, but it was parked on a hill.

8500132359_33118e5748_c.jpg

I honestly don't know what I would've done if I hadn't been at a car dealer buying a new car when I found this. On the plus side, now I have practical, economical, reliable street transportation, and I can stop driving the Cherokee into the ground. This has been my week.

8498609065_f6e968fab2_c.jpg

d67u57

Adventurer
sorry about that. health is more important :)

ok,so what did you get..i mean going from a cherokee to a rav4 is..wait...yours wouldnt be the little red thing there would it??

unless were supposed to look at the leakings on the pavement..? :)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Congrats Chris, I have always thought a Miata would be a fun run around.... they just don't carry my hobbies well, but I bet you will love having it and the Jeep repaired!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven