C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

FKreider

Observer
Also I love the color matched ARB bumper/brush guard on your Cherokee. Ive got a factory option brush guard on my XJ and its getting to be very worn looking, rust and a few hits have taken their toll. Im really considering getting a ARB down the road.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Quite a few tires, BFG AT among them come in 255 70 R16.

Pretty much exactly inbetween 245 75 and 265 75.

Best of both worlds?

Edit: I was wrong. That's only 30" tall, shoter than the 245 75

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Just had new tires installed, yesterday. In a previous post, I believe I had decided on Falken Wildpeak AT2, but I was swayed at the last minute to get Cooper Discoverer AT3, by one of my chums, Bobby Curtis, and by this article on ExPo:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/gears/2739-cooper-discoverer-a-t3.html

It was pretty much the fact that the Coopers were available in Load Range C, and the Falkens were only available in Load Range E, that pushed me over the fence. I've had the Coopers on for 75 miles now and they've rejuvenated the Cherokee in terms of ride comfort. I've never had such high initial satisfaction from new tires before in my life.

I'm sure I'll be testing them off-pavement soon enough.

12624059153_b55e12bff4_c.jpg

P.S. Also, my inch-itis has subsided for now. I'm sure I'll continue to fend off occasional urges. The Cherokee might be very conservatively modified, but it works so well. It'd be a shame to disrupt that formula and introduce some undesirable compromise.

macgyver35

I joined tonight just to post on your thread. Really nice work. And I've enjoyed wasting the last 2 hours reading all 40 pages!

I have a 98 Sport that I picked up 3 years ago (my fourth Jeep). Like you, I have an OME 2" lift. I've been getting kind of bored with it lately, and have inch envy. So I planned on doing some new mods. Once I checked into the total costs of 4.5" of lift vs. 3" of lift, and the associated tire costs to go with it, lets say I'm sticking to 3". If I get inch crazy later, I'll put Bushwacker flat flares on it and go up a tire size.

I've been on www.cherokeeforum for years, and stumbled on this site from a link on (of all places) Pinterest. I bought mine with 172,000 miles on it and a bad motor, Over the course of three weeks in the garage, I installed a new ATK long-block, new cooling and AC system, all new tie rod ends and dozens of new parts underneath (thank you Rock Auto), stereo system, Surco rack, fogs, wheel spacers and '06 Wrangler Unlimited factory Ravine wheels.

For what it's worth, I just bought my second set of Firestone Destination AT's. They have a smooth, quiet ride, have worn evenly, are MUCH better on wet roads than the BFG ATKO's I used to run, and are a good compromise of street and trail.

Again, fantastic work on yours! I originally wanted a silver one, but after months of looking and not being able to find a 4WD model in my area, I went with white. I actually get a monthly car allowance from work that amounts to about $500 a month. But I can't seem to find anything I like as much as my XJ. The new Wrangler Unlimited models are pricey, and noisy, even with the hardtop. I don't miss the noise of my '02 TJ. Plus, I'd have to take out a second mortgage to finance aftermarket parts for one of the new Wranglers! The new Grand Cherokees are nice, but you can't really do any significant modding to them. So I'll keep my XJ. Maybe throw a new carpet kit in it so I can have that new car smell for awhile! :)

Here's the wife and I from about a year and a half ago gassing up to head out to our Hot Springs Arkansas honeymoon cabin.

WP_000575.jpg

Morticon

Adventurer
Great Video! My brother and I will be down in BESF this May from the 16th to the 19th. it should be a blast!

I realize this video is from vermont but it reminded me of our trip last september to PA

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Yeah, I've put a few hundred on the new Cooper 245/75s already, and I'm loving them. I hope to have them out on the trail in the next few weeks.

Morticon

Adventurer
Hey just a quick question. How are you storing your spare? Or is it in the stock location? I'm assuming it's not full size if so?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Hey just a quick question. How are you storing your spare? Or is it in the stock location? I'm assuming it's not full size if so?

It's the stock spare, in a stock location. Had a blow-out a few months ago on the trail and had to slap the 13 year old Goodyear on for the first time. It was awkward, but I didn't waste any time putting on a matching spare I had on-hand in the garage.

Funny you should ask that now, though. I finally ordered a spare tire carrier for the outside of the Jeep. So I won't have to go the mini-spare route anymore.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Was just thinking, I wonder how many of us from Expo's early days are still running with the same rig? I think that validates the point more than anything that it is a good vehicle and setup right. Glad to see there are some of still that don't jump to every new fad.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Was just thinking, I wonder how many of us from Expo's early days are still running with the same rig? I think that validates the point more than anything that it is a good vehicle and setup right. Glad to see there are some of still that don't jump to every new fad.

It's tempting... to have a shiny-new-something. But in the end, the practicality of keeping what I have, which works perfectly well, wins out. The Cherokee never ceases to please me out on the trail, even so modestly configured.

That being said, something just went south in the engine on Monday. I was driving to work, heard a subtle metallic "pahtink", and now it's knocking badly with the oil pressure creeping unusually high while I'm on the gas. It's at the shop, and I'm currently waiting for a call that says either, "It's just this-or-that bearing, and it'll cost a few hundred to fix", ORRRR, "Your engine is on the verge of self-destructing. It'll cost all the monies to replace, and we aren't equipped to do it here."

Keep your fingers crossed, gang.

It really figures, because I have some mods lined up, including a gear job and a tire carrier. Mostly paid for, so it's still happening, it's just delayed until this engine thing is sorted. It must've known that I was planning improvements, so it was time for something potentially catastrophic to happen.

If it is worst-case-scenario and does need a heart transplant, I'm going to follow through with it, as opposed to replacing the vehicle. I don't want car payments, and I don't want to outfit something different. I've worked hard to minimize my financial obligation over the years, and I hope to keep it that way. I find that the less you owe, the more accessible the horizon becomes.

8025808472_ee9697df69_b.jpg

Last edited:

stolz

Adventurer
Hope all goes well with your Cherokee. It is always the worst waiting to find out what the problem is. Also stoked to see what tire carrier you got and what it looks like, I need to get one as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3