C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

TerryD

Adventurer
Pudding cup picture made me laugh so hard. I'm fitting engines issues with mine. If i run it for a long time on the highway and then pull off and let it idle the oil pressure drops. Everyone keeps telling me there's gotta be coolant eating away at the bearings but every time I change the oil it looks great and no cloudiness or anything... I'm debating to take a shot and replace the pump as I've already replaced the sending unit... Ohh well. Good luck with your engine, I hope you get it sorted quick!

Have a sample of your oil tested. Just because the oil looks good doesn't mean you don't have a very minor leak somewhere. Oil pressure is not as important at an idle as you'd think. As long as the lifters are reasonably quiet (it is a Jeep after all) you should be fine for a LONG time.

vonguido

Adventurer
I was dying of laughter at the pudding cup picture. Like everyone else said hopefully the 4.0 isn't dead yet. Mine has 204,000 on it and it has gone 10K or more without an oil change and gets beat up from time to time and still runs great......knock on wood. Look forward to some news.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Brought the Cherokee home, tonight. Drove it just a few miles. Again, nothing felt terribly wrong with power or throttle response. Knocking is still prevalent, especially when under load. I made a short video for your speculating pleasure!

Tmacphee

How does the oil look? Any metal in it? I would pull the valve cover and the oil pan and check everything out, both of which are among the simplest of jobs. Chances are you will find the problem.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Pictures, because nothing else.

10718409843_8db60d04e7_b.jpg

10719699703_f8e3f9e3c7_b.jpg

10718482193_bcf3185d93_b.jpg

10719541745_04ef37451a_b.jpg

...and video.

In other news, my new rear bumper and tire carrier are out getting painted. I haven't seen any of it yet. I had it all shipped directly to my installer. So... yay for fun stuff, that I had luckily paid for before the engine woes.

TerryD

Adventurer
I love your Jeep man. I'm glad you've decided to keep it going. I wish I could have kept mine but I needed a truck.

rabies

time is running out.....
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii hope you got that motor fixed........dont quit now

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Around the time my engine went bad, I gathered some parts for a head-unit delete - something I stumbled upon on Reddit.

The idea is, yank the head-unit from the dash and replace it with a small, four-channel amp and a marine Bluetooth dongle with RCA outputs. So my iPhone, with my music library and Pandora becomes my entertainment via Bluetooth.

Since the head-unit is being removed, I can now replace the face with a switch panel, and a RAM ball which I can use to mount the iPhone or a GPS. I probably spent less than $100 for all the components, and I'm excited to put it all together.

13990112554_ab2d0cc6ca_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal