C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

TerryD

Adventurer
Modifications aside, replacing the engine and/or transmission in a paid for vehicle that you are happy with and is in good physical condition makes better financial sense than getting a new one.

Tmacphee

I hope everything works out for you and the xj. If worst comes to worst, a used engine/donor rig can be had very cheaply and the engine swapped in a weekend.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I hope everything works out for you and the xj. If worst comes to worst, a used engine/donor rig can be had very cheaply and the engine swapped in a weekend.

Chris, for what is worth, I found a good low mileage 4.0 for my daughter's XJ when it's motor went south for $500 at the local boneyard. The biggest problem with the swap is reaching the bellhousing bolts on the back of the block as there's not much room to get yer hands in there.

RiverRatXJ

Chris, for what is worth, I found a good low mileage 4.0 for my daughter's XJ when it's motor went south for $500 at the local boneyard. The biggest problem with the swap is reaching the bellhousing bolts on the back of the block as there's not much room to get yer hands in there.

What he said plus this: Place a trans jack (or regular jack) under the trans pan, remove the crossmember, and lower the trans until you have some working room on those bellhousing bolts. Makes things a lot easier for just a minimal amount of extra work... That being said, I hope your problem is minor!! Good luck my fellow XJ'er!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, gang. I didn't hear from my mechanic today, but I dropped it off without an appointment, so he may not have gotten to it yet. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm hopeful that it doesn't need an engine, because it was running fine aside from the noise.

Hope all goes well with your Cherokee. It is always the worst waiting to find out what the problem is. Also stoked to see what tire carrier you got and what it looks like, I need to get one as well.

Stolz,
I ordered this toward the beginning of March. To my knowledge, it's just about done being built and almost ready to ship. I'm having it professionally painted to match, just like the front. I'm really excited, but my mind is on this engine thing.

XJ-DeluxeDesc.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I just talked to my mechanic. He wants to rebuild the engine for around $4600. I know what you're all thinking, because I'm thinking it too. He's going to look for a salvage and get back to me with new numbers in a few days.

First, I don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I enjoy wrenching. I only have a basic wrench set, a pair of jack stands, and enough mechanical competency to get out of a pickle when the need arises.

Second, my budget, at the moment, is around $2k. That doesn't mean that I have $2k just lying around. I needed that money for other stuff, but this latest turn-of-events just trumped using that money for anything else. Huge bummer.

Third, I was kind of looking forward to going wheelin' soon. I would really prefer to resolve this quickly, so that I can get on with my life. Oh yeah, and maybe get that tire carrier and gear job, that I already "wasted" money on, completed.

You guys have any advice?

daveh

Adventurer
Try jeep-engines.com. I think the one you need is around $1600 add a couple hundred to ship and install and your good to go. Comes with nice warranty also.

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Take a look at Jasper Chris, should be ~$2K on exchange. Specify a TUPY head too..

I had a problem with one of their engines years back, oil pump failed at 27K miles.. I had a new engine in 10 days and they covered the cost of the swap. If I were to buy again they would get my business most likely. It helps I have a Jasper depot just around the corner.

PM if I can help in any way..

vonguido

Adventurer
I just went through and read your whole thread in about an hour. Chris you have one heck of an XJ, one that is filled with great memories and bad memories. it really is like going through a time capsule reading your thread. Makes me want to get mine started asap, also love the choice of a Miata for a DD, currently I'm deciding between buying a Harley or a Miata....the Harley will come with a big monthly payment and I don't like those. Sorry to hear about the engine. How many miles were on it when it went south? I would also look into S&J Engines its roughly $1700 plus a $400 core, comes with a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty.

I can't wait to see what the XJ looks like with the JCR Rear bumper on it.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Maybe I missed it, but what was your mechanic's diagnosis? Aside from the obvious "it's needs a new engine". How many miles on are on your 4.0? Are you sure the engine is a total loss? The 4.0L is a dependable engine that usually doesn't just implode. In my 15 years of wrenching on them, it's more common for them to die slowly, becoming less and less efficient. Before I spent $4600 or even $2000 I'd at least make sure your current engine is indeed dead.

Best of luck to you either way and thanks for all sticking with the XJ all these years, your an inspiration.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

The engine has 148 on it, and it still runs, with an extremely prevalent knocking. So is it dead? Not the venerable 4.0. Its innards haven't been reduced to nearly enough metal fragments to cause it to stop running.

I haven't heard anything from my mechanic since the last time I talked to him. I just got off the phone with the shop and found out he's on vacation this week. That's just great. This is a small-town garage whose primary bread-and-butter is service to general wear-and-tear items. I trust them, but I don't think they are the right folks for this job. I told them that I'd be picking it up tonight to take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

That being said, I'm not convinced that the engine needs replaced. I wasn't given an exact diagnosis, just - "It sounds like something is going on in the engine. That'll be $4600, please." - Obviously, rebuilding it or replacing it is a silver-bullet; a sure-fire fix, if you will.

I've been networking with friends, and was referred to someone who should be able to help me out, so I'm going to go that route. I'm not convinced that its kaput... yet. I don't think I should drive it at all, though, or it will be.

I'm still pretty bummed. It's warming up outside, and I've been waiting all winter to hit the trail. This past weekend, I disassembled and repainted my Hi-Lift jack, and added stickers to my fridge. How sad is that?

There it sits.

13698188615_8b05938d0e_c.jpg

Aww yeah. Pimpin'. This fridge makes it look like I 'wheel.

13698180383_20e39a8b17_c.jpg

Much-needed rejuvenation for this old Hi-Lift. Makes it look like I don't 'wheel.

13698502494_fc2bc7b8fc_c.jpg

At least I have this pudding cup.

13698189053_6651db3b21_z.jpg

jpat30

Adventurer
^^Cause some times, its just a Pudding cup kind of a day^^

Sorry about your rig. I have really enjoyed reading and re-reading your thread. I hope that it is something simple with the 4.0. Like you said, they are really a bullet proof motor. Good Luck and have a great day.

blazinid

Adventurer
This thread reminds me of marriage. Starts our all tip toe through the tulips then BAM! 2nd mortgage, roof leaks, wife cheats......great read great read. Man I'm glad I sold my jeep.

Morticon

Adventurer
Pudding cup picture made me laugh so hard. I'm fitting engines issues with mine. If i run it for a long time on the highway and then pull off and let it idle the oil pressure drops. Everyone keeps telling me there's gotta be coolant eating away at the bearings but every time I change the oil it looks great and no cloudiness or anything... I'm debating to take a shot and replace the pump as I've already replaced the sending unit... Ohh well. Good luck with your engine, I hope you get it sorted quick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3