C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

vonguido

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliment!

Our Cherokees are getting a little old. It can be done, but it's hard work to modify them for off-road travel AND coax a comfortable, quiet ride out of them. In my opinion, it's marginally more practical to thoughtfully modify a Cherokee that you already own than it is to buy... let's say... a four-door Wrangler Rubicon. The new Wrangler will likely be more reliable, more capable off the dealer lot, and more comfortable, but at an often inhibitive monthly cost.

On the other hand, I try to spare no expense on modifications, on a vehicle with a very low price of admission. When it comes to 4x4 modifications and equipment, it is very true that you get what you pay for. If I can't afford exactly what I want, I will simply wait 10 years until I can... or until the CEL isn't on, and I'm not saving money to just keep it mechanically sound.

I'm not sure which is the lesser evil, really. Despite the wear and tear, it feels like I have more freedom by keeping the inexpensive base platform that I already own. Whether that's truth, or just my perception, I don't know.

My advice? Follow your heart.

I've been running Old Man Emu suspensions for over a dozen years now, and I have never regretted them once. Your ride quality after installing an aftermarket suspension is rarely going to be as comfortable as stock. However, very few brands come closer to stock than OME, and on the trail, the OME suspension will impress. It cycles harmoniously with the terrain, smoothly ensuring positive contact under each of your four tires while minimizing bouncing, pitching, and rolling. It's graceful, and cat-like, but is only a part of the overall equation that determines a vehicle's off-road prowess.

If this sounds like what you want, and you aren't too concerned about fitting oversized tires, run, don't walk, to your nearest OME dealer.

Good luck with whatever you go with. :)

Incredibly well put sir! Truer words have never been spoken.

jeepinspence

Thanks for the insight, foresight, and hindsight from your position on the Cherokee build timeline. You are far ahead of me on this timeline I will take your views into consideration as I proceed as they are definitely ringing with wisdom! 😁
I'm leaning towards continuing my slow (to me) build and drop back and punt by removing the RC lift piecemeal and replacing it with OME springs for now and then fine tune as needs arise. I will need to also pursue an SYE as I don't want ANY vibes for the long run to maximize the longevity of that parts in the driveline.

If I decide that I need more ground clearance after some trail runs (which I doubt) I'll consider bushwhacker style flares with trimmed fenders. I'm hesitating on those and bumpers for now because I like the cohesive look of the stock parts on this generation XJ. ☺️

PS: there will be some Rough Country springs for sale fairly soon for anyone with younger/tougher body parts than me might want. 😉

Thanks again for the reply! Happy trails!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the compliment!

Our Cherokees are getting a little old. It can be done, but it's hard work to modify them for off-road travel AND coax a comfortable, quiet ride out of them. In my opinion, it's marginally more practical to thoughtfully modify a Cherokee that you already own than it is to buy... let's say... a four-door Wrangler Rubicon. The new Wrangler will likely be more reliable, more capable off the dealer lot, and more comfortable, but at an often inhibitive monthly cost.

On the other hand, I try to spare no expense on modifications, on a vehicle with a very low price of admission. When it comes to 4x4 modifications and equipment, it is very true that you get what you pay for. If I can't afford exactly what I want, I will simply wait 10 years until I can... or until the CEL isn't on, and I'm not saving money to just keep it mechanically sound.

I'm not sure which is the lesser evil, really. Despite the wear and tear, it feels like I have more freedom by keeping the inexpensive base platform that I already own. Whether that's truth, or just my perception, I don't know.

My advice? Follow your heart.

I've been running Old Man Emu suspensions for over a dozen years now, and I have never regretted them once. Your ride quality after installing an aftermarket suspension is rarely going to be as comfortable as stock. However, very few brands come closer to stock than OME, and on the trail, the OME suspension will impress. It cycles harmoniously with the terrain, smoothly ensuring positive contact under each of your four tires while minimizing bouncing, pitching, and rolling. It's graceful, and cat-like, but is only a part of the overall equation that determines a vehicle's off-road prowess.

If this sounds like what you want, and you aren't too concerned about fitting oversized tires, run, don't walk, to your nearest OME dealer.

Good luck with whatever you go with. :)

Well said. Although I sold my 2001 XJ and went with my current 2005 LJ, I think you have pinpointed the whole thing. It is all a great balancing act and in the end, follow your heart, because seriously... that's what this is about. Over my almost 30 years of jeeping, I keep on returning to mildly built, DD jeeps with my own preferences, such as lockers, manual trans and keeping them low and ready for anything from toting me to work, to hauling the family to hitting the trails (although keeping that mild these days). Strongly resisting builditis is the hardest part.

Your jeep looks great.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Getting this fixed next week. Apparently, when I added that leaf, I changed things just enough for the strap bolt to catch the tailpipe. Fantastic.

14543110135_34615066af_c.jpg

Getting a new front driveshaft from Quigley Motor Company. The old one developed some slop.

14562979113_d30cbf98ca_c.jpg

Replaced the headlight switch. That was fun. The old one went bad rather abruptly.

14542194532_2a0e465e15_c.jpg

Went for a bike ride at Valley Forge, but didn't have a bike rack yet. So this kayak rack worked nicely as a makeshift alternative. Thanks, Thule.

14519766156_be226f64e9_c.jpg

Off to VT on a Vermont Overland day trip in a couple of weeks. Might do a little touring, too.

14563245813_ff100a5874_c.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
New front driveshaft acquired. Also got a full tour of Quigley Motor Company. That was really cool.

14560208004_2ef14bcd79_c.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Chris, is that a Duralast switch replacement? (sure looks like it) Get rid of it..

Tossed one in mine a few years back.. a week later i had issues and looking at it the thing was ready to melt down. Swapped in a used OEM.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, is that a Duralast switch replacement? (sure looks like it) Get rid of it.

Not sure. That could very well be a picture of the old switch. The box might still be in the trash can in the garage. I'll make sure.

Also... ugh. Just a tad too long. My bad. Beautiful shaft, but I have to take it back for a trim, lest I spear my 231.

14379083137_a935805f49_z.jpg

14380644737_c88e602256_z.jpg

BlurpleXJ

Chris, just spent an hour reading your entire thread and I have to say it's good to see someone else using their XJ the way it was meant to be. You have a lot of thoughtful, high-utility tweaks without a lot of fluff. I really appreciate a stockish but capable rig and will probably try to stay along the same path with my own jeep. Keep up the updates, I have joined the spectators here. :coffeedrink:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
15753766515_9279cf6a23_c.jpg

15611680807_dbaff7c4d5_c.jpg

I went in planning to do a vehicle recovery. Seriously. Hadn't pulled cable in a while and was looking for some drama. Well, I got more than I bargained for. I left my good judgement on dry land that day.

15692328657_b3ddc56e3e_c.jpg

Leaf spring snapped as a result of being pulled too hard against the ice. Lesson learned. However, if you are going to completely abandon common sense, make sure you do it at an off-road park where spares grow on trees. I drove home that night (hours later) like nothing ever happened.

15689849350_db9c73482c_c.jpg

Going to need a new set of rear springs. They don't make JC1Bs anymore. Very timely, because I was considering swapping them out for something that offered better towing and payload support anyway.

15254898584_1005d5b4b5_c.jpg

Now to tend to the soiled, wet carpet. A lot of off-road purists would pull it out and be done with it, but comfort, and the desire to drive on long trips inside a clean and comfortable vehicle is important to me. Ugh. Rust. What a can of worms.

15691123529_beab950460_c.jpg

All shampooed. Cleanest it's been in years.

15766282669_4c0ce5c2e0_c.jpg

New springs and factory replacement hardware have been delivered. Not looking to increase ride height, and reports on the web claim that these CS033RB springs provide a generous lift in the back. I'll be removing the middle leaf, per OME's recommendation, to bring it down to the 2.5" to 3" range.

15863082048_a8c6272aae_c.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've never seen a leafspring snap there. I've had my share of carnage in a mud puddle once. I steer around them now. :)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That spring breakage looks like a poor metallurgy failure to me - not fatigue per se. How old are those springs (in km/miles)?

Pulling a leaf gives me pause.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
That spring breakage looks like a poor metallurgy failure to me - not fatigue per se. How old are those springs (in km/miles)?

Installed for approximately 11 years, 200,000 miles.

Pulling a leaf gives me pause.

Likewise. However, the packs are marketed as "modular", and the following footnote can be found in the manufacturer's application guide.

CS033RA & CS033RB - Extra leaf factory installed. Remove 3rd leaf from pack to reduce ride height by 1/2 - 1”.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Any update on those leafs? I had actually just posted about those. I can get those springs packs for 257 shipped to my door. Glad to see someone else is using them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal