Cabinet build materials

escadventure

Adventurer
Looking to build cabinets for the bed of my F150. Anything but wood...

I've seen the t-track extrusions and there's quite a bit of related materials to build with that system.

Are there any other systems you know of to source materials to build cabinets?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm likely going to use 8020 extruded aluminum to build storage.

Cheers

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I built boxes out of aluminum sheets, don't recall the grade, but I used a brake press to bend flanges on the sheets and bolted them together......back in the day engineering, next, how sturdy do you need these cabinets? I also used plastic boxes in a plastic rack, then there are plastic drawer systems as well.

sancap

Looking to build cabinets for the bed of my F150. Anything but wood...

I've seen the t-track extrusions and there's quite a bit of related materials to build with that system.

Are there any other systems you know of to source materials to build cabinets?
I went with 80/20 aluminum extrusion and birch veneer for the cabinet enclosures. I may change the birch out for thin aluminum sign board.

Attachments

• IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 36

escadventure

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about using those extrusions for the frame and then road box components for door hardware with some kind of FRP laminate panels.

How are you attaching the build components to the vehicle?

highwest

I’m on my second build using 8020 framing faced with 1/2” expanded PVC. I still use the back of the truck as a truck, so the PVC needs a little help with impact resistance, it’s painted with Monstaliner.

My “furniture” is attached to the truck with the bed bolts and the bed rail accessory track.

86scotty

Cynic

sancap

Do you mean ACM? I looked at this awhile back to build some things but never pulled the trigger.

Yes that is the stuff, my only concern is that it may ding or get small dents in it pretty easily. I do not know much about that material.

sancap

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about using those extrusions for the frame and then road box components for door hardware with some kind of FRP laminate panels.

How are you attaching the build components to the vehicle?
I used any existing holes (I used rivets in those locations) that were in the bed and used the lip of my camper to attach the upper parts of the camper to. I did not need to drill any holes in the bed.

rruff

Explorer
Yes that is the stuff, my only concern is that it may ding or get small dents in it pretty easily. I do not know much about that material.
The aluminum is fairly thin but the plastic core supports it. The thicker the aluminum skins the better. Stick with 6mm/1/4" total thickness.

Always good to get a sample and do some destruction testing too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger