Cabover vs. Long-Nose Platform

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
As I mentioned then, if I could find a class C with a crew-cab instead of a 2 seater, that'd be a no-brainer for me. There's no world in which I'm putting my kids at the dinette while driving down the road, even if a crash is unlikely. Those are not accident rated seats.
You can buy steel crash tested seats, like Flexsteel, that can easily be nicer than your favorite chair at home, that are installed in RVs and/or custom vans. They can be mounted in various ways to be crash worthy compliant, bolted to the floor or frames.

Any seat or couch in any Class A-B or C is removable, just remove and replace. Many RVs have enough space behind the driver's and passenger's seat to mount 2 more seats.

It is a no brainer!

ReluctantTraveler

This is what I mean about crew cab class-C's. Host used to sell the truck chassis crew cab motorhomes.

Best I can tell, the last one rolled off the line back in 2009. I haven't found a single other manufacturer that makes class C's like this.

And a 15 year old non-expedition truck RV (built using the same particle board and stables construction as other class Cs) isn't worth $100k+ IMO. Maybe I'm just being short-sighted.

Don't underestimate the value of possible vs pipe dream. The time kids will want to travel with you is limited. A readily available class C will get you 75% of what may be an unachievable ideal.

ReluctantTraveler

Don't underestimate the value of possible vs pipe dream. The time kids will want to travel with you is limited. A readily available class C will get you 75% of what may be an unachievable ideal.
Sorry to keep beating this drum, but there is no class C RV currently on the market that can safely seat four passengers while in transit.

Looking for a crew, cab classy is literally what started this whole journey for me in the first place two years ago.

Otherwise, though, I absolutely agree with you. Last night I started researching 12 V drop in replacement AC units for our travel trailer because that something I can do right now that would get us closer to where we want to be.

Fishenough

Creeper
Which side of the 49th parallel are you located?

This 2006 is destined for the port of Vancouver, Canada. It's only recently become an option for a build I'd consider.
0c32496a412d523ac25e92867e11e8b7.jpg

ReluctantTraveler

Which side of the 49th parallel are you located?

This 2006 is destined for the port of Vancouver, Canada. It's only recently become an option for a build I'd consider.
0c32496a412d523ac25e92867e11e8b7.jpg
I'm in the US (northeast), but I'd LOVE to build on a cabover platform. You still have "the dually issue" to deal with if you want to ride in the snow or on sand, but the turning radius and width are awesome!

If money were no object, I'd honestly just buy an EC FX or pick up one of their CORE Chassis and build it out.

I didn't realize Toyota made a 4wd cabover. We LOVE Toyota in my house. Is that only available in Canada? I'd imagine it could be imported to the US?

Fishenough

Creeper
I also JUST learned that a tri-cab is a thing 🤯

Wow, haven't seen that model.

Only recently have been looking at the Dyna, told recently they ride nice and some of the engine options are fantastic. For Canadian market, 15 years old, I've seen some hybrid models available, and I am not certain that would be ideal for a backroad camper. I do think the only vehicle comparable was sold by Hino in Canada, but I have never heard of a 4x4.

For you, one like the one pictured from today's auction listing, a slightly rusty 96 with 56,000 miles on it could be imported to the US.

eof.nbe9blhuxh95f.~yayzun2hszb3lhzu28=84.=7.5=3hsez2573vol26=6_3jsnvuc27.jpg

ReluctantTraveler

Wow, haven't seen that model.

Only recently have been looking at the Dyna, told recently they ride nice and some of the engine options are fantastic. For Canadian market, 15 years old, I've seen some hybrid models available, and I am not certain that would be ideal for a backroad camper. I do think the only vehicle comparable was sold by Hino in Canada, but I have never heard of a 4x4.

For you, one like the one pictured from today's auction listing, a slightly rusty 96 with 56,000 miles on it could be imported to the US.

View attachment 817298
I realized after posting that these are all right-side steering vehicles which would be sub-optimal, I think!

Fishenough

Creeper
I realized after posting that these are all right-side steering vehicles which would be sub-optimal, I think!
I have had a gaggle over the years, once you're accustomed it is no problem. Far less of an issues with vehicles with a high seat height.

I prefer it for my offroad vehicles, you know exactly where you right wheel in cases of passing on narrow tracks. It is not so good to be RHD in a low slung high-powered vehicle, passing and left hand turns can be scary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears