Call me crazy, but I want a shuttle bus.

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
I just got my wife to the point where she's trying to convince me to get an old school bus as our next camping vehicle :sombrero:

JE-SUIS-SICK-OF-THIS-********.jpg

cjken

Explorer
d6cda22e7ed838561ba864b095d30180.jpg

Village Idiot
I just got my wife to the point where she's trying to convince me to get an old school bus as our next camping vehicle :sombrero:

View attachment 355713

My wife would love a old school bus. I would too, but they don't have the ceiling height of a shuttle bus.

And I would have to find a way to get rid of all the squeaks lol. I'm on the hunt for one. Right now, first is an exhaust for my bike, which costs a lot. Then I'll find one.

Hopefully sooner than later.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've looked at buses, but one thing that is important to me is to have a passenger seat next to the driver. Many of the buses have entry doors in place of the passenger seat. If you usually travel solo maybe not a problem.

F451

Observer
I've also heard the gearing on the buses can be a bit low for extended highway running, meaning the engine is turning higher then optimal rpm's on the highway. You guys may know whether or not that is a real issue. I guess the gearing would be easy enough to change considering the modifications I see people doing on here all of the time.

Just thought I would mention it though. -Ed

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
3 things about the ford based shuttle bus. The front entry and lack of a passenger seat as mentioned previously. Lack of insulation and lots of Windows to lose heat etc through. Running at the limits of the chassis for cooling, braking etc.

Checkout prison busses for an alternative.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
See both shuttle and school busses regularly on Government surplus auction here. Do you have something similar at your side of the continent? I'd not want to buy one site unseen and then drive from the West to the East coast... Possible, but not the way I'd go.

Far fewer squeaks in an Ambo... Just saying. You might want a medium Duty with a hoist... But the regular sized ones are better priced. I understand cheap being a consideration, but I'd also want the right platform to build atop of.

Paddy

Adventurer
What's causing the increase in squeaks? Because if it's all those seats then most of us would be disposing of them anyway.

spurious

It's not the seats that squeak it's the Windows ( escape window latches that work themselves loose) Doors ( front, rear and handicap door) and overall fiberglass body. The handicap lifts are great, but the weight they add are enormous. I deal with shuttles everyday and they are not great road vehicles.They eat batteries and alternators, the pentax alternator is around 500.00. Tires are another issue if you don't buy high end tires they never go the miles. In my opinion skip a shuttle get an ambulance, or box truck.

Treenail

Adventurer
I deal with shuttles everyday and they are not great road vehicles.They eat batteries and alternators, the pentax alternator is around 500.00. Tires are another issue if you don't buy high end tires they never go the miles. In my opinion skip a shuttle get an ambulance, or box truck.

Why do they eat batteries and alternators? Is there something unique to shuttles that causes this? High electrical demands?

Tires...Hmm...overloaded??? Maybe shuttles are making a lot of slow, lock to lock steering where the tires may scrub.

Box truck, to me, seems a better starting point like I said.

Village Idiot
Why do they eat batteries and alternators? Is there something unique to shuttles that causes this? High electrical demands?

Tires...Hmm...overloaded??? Maybe shuttles are making a lot of slow, lock to lock steering where the tires may scrub.

Box truck, to me, seems a better starting point like I said.

A box truck would be a good option. But I want a 7.3L Powerstroke, and they are hard to find on a box truck.

What would be ideal for me, would be a ambo chassis that are super cheap, even with low miles, and put a box on it. In my area, buying a 18-20ft boxes are very cheap.

My only question are, would a 18ft box work on a ambo chassis because of the length of the wheelbase of the ambo, and how they actually attach to the chassis.

Most used box trucks are 5.4 or the 6.8 V10's. And I would really like a 7.3L and not a 6.0.

I could easily add a handicap lift on the side of the box and build a wall near the rear of the box. That way I wouldn't have to turn the bike around and lose sq footage. and have the back for toolboxes and motorcycles. Then build a wall and make basically a class C RV out the rest.

All these parts are cheap and easy to find. But buying a box truck that's a 7.3, in decent shape, that's low mileage is either overpriced, or beat to death.

But I've seen ambo chassis with no boxes cheap. Like $3500-4500 cheap. And a 18ft box goes for $2500 ish, and lift around $1000. And a beat up box truck they want $10k + for. AND, it would be easy to make mods even before I out the box on like 4x4, on board air, paint the chassis, etc....

Think UJOR V4 but with a box.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
A buddy called me today about a 7.3 cab/chassis for sale. Think its local. Give me a shout tomorrow and I'll see whats up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven