Calling LR3 and LR4 lowers, loyalists, cool aid drinkers and skeptics...

Jwestpro

Explorer
With all that said, I would drive both a 200 series cruiser and a LR4 and see which one makes you feel more tingly..

In 2010 I bought a 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon, 6 spd manual. Had wanted one since first driving it in 2008 when they came out. Fully optioned it's quite the awesome car for road trips. Having done many since 2010, some with 10-15 hour drives per day over 3 days, I still feel "tingly" when I hop in. The "20 way comfort seat" is so fantastically adjustable and the overall ergonomics, etc. Very quiet also. Plenty of get-up-go with the twin turbo and Dinan ECU software yet 25 mpg rolling 70-80. 30 mpg if 55-60.

Well, this week I'm feeling super tingly over starring at $4000 in repairs on this car at only 110,000 miles. Things that just shouldn't "fail" like wiring in the rear hatch, wiring for a rear air suspension sensor, oil filter gasket?, thermostat and water pump, thrust rod bushings. Under warranty it got new turbos and a slew of other things.

No, it's not boring at all but this new list makes me think I might enjoy trying the "boring" route on the next vehicle....

zelatore

Explorer
Hmmm....my '08 335 racked up about 90K before we sold it. Same twin turbo motor you have in the 535. I never saw a $4K repair bill on that either. The single biggest problem was a fuel system rebuild that was done as precaution under a campaign; we actually only had a bad injector but they did the pump and all the injectors in one go. No charge as it was warrantied, though I did have to drive a lowly 328 with a slushbox for a day. :) I can't say I babied that car as it saw Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunder Hill.
One of us has a luck issue - either I've got it good or you've got it bad.
(I'm bound to suffer some catastrophic failure this weekend at Pismo now...just watch)

Jwestpro

Explorer
Compared to a 335 sedan there are quite a few more systems on the 535 wagon to go haywire so it's less of a luck issue than entirely different car.

The 2 piece hatch and load leveling rear suspension and issues the panoramic sunroof to name a few.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm weighing this exact same debate this year as my wife will need a new vehicle.

Ironically I came to the same 3 choices mentioned in this thread - LR4, LC200, Ram Power Wagon.

I agree with the sentiment that the PW is the best choice value wise, and it's actually her pick of the lot. But it won't fit in her work parking garage :(

So, between the LR4 and LC200... it's difficult to ignore the clout that the LC has when you consider what it's really built for globally. I am a tremendous Land Rover guy but it's tough to argue that the LR4 is as durable and "heavy duty" as the 200 series. In my opinion, the LR4 compares much more favorably with the GX460 (also a nice vehicle) but head to head with the 200... at the same price point... there will be a Toyota in my driveway.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Adam: I think the force to the LR is too great on you and you will not be able to resist the Land Rover Borge.
Resistance is futile.

D

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Having worked for a BMW car dealer, I'm convinced that these (as well as MB and Audi) are cars that you lease and return before the warranty ends. This said, any car with a turbo is a major expense waiting to happen.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven