camper shell weight

Super Doody

Explorer
How much would you guys say an extra cab campershell for a 2003 tacoma weighs? 150lbs.?

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I think it's actually closer to 200 lbs or more. It depends on the glass used though. If it's the thinner tailgate glass versus the one piece, it may get down to 150 - but I would probably say it is more.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I can put my ARE on by myself, its awkward because its big, but it not that heavy. I would be suprised if it weighed 150 pounds. I have the glass all the way down the sides and of course the rear glass.

~James

Super Doody

Explorer
stumptaco said:
I can put my ARE on by myself, its awkward because its big, but it not that heavy. I would be suprised if it weighed 150 pounds. I have the glass all the way down the sides and of course the rear glass.

~James

Dont know how you guys do that without f...ing stuff up. I want to make pulley system for the shell in the garage with the shell sitting on 2x4s.

njtaco

Explorer
Version 1.0:

Start with the cap on 4 eight inch block...
Place more block, milk crates, whatever to stair-step into truck bed...
Crawl under cap...
Stand up, supporting cap with hands (balancing)...:REExeSquatsHL1:
Walk up steps into truck (the hardest part for me/my knees)...:yikes:
Set cap in place...
Apply clamps.:victory:

Version 2.0:

Skip stepping up into truck, and just slide the cap on along the rails. Careful not to mess up the cap tape.

Version 3.0:

Get help...your body will thank you later! :smilies27

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just put a Leer 100LE on my Tacoma. It was missing the rear glass, but otherwise just as it came from the factory. The previous owner and I had no problem picking it up and putting it right on my truck. I'd be very surprised if it was more than 120lb. We actually flipped it upside down (onto a piece of carpet) to put the "camper tape" on, then flipped it back, carried it down to the truck and plopped it in place.

Of course, this is a cab-high topper. A high-rise topper will weigh more.

Super Doody

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
I just put a Leer 100LE on my Tacoma. It was missing the rear glass, but otherwise just as it came from the factory. The previous owner and I had no problem picking it up and putting it right on my truck. I'd be very surprised if it was more than 120lb. We actually flipped it upside down (onto a piece of carpet) to put the "camper tape" on, then flipped it back, carried it down to the truck and plopped it in place.

Of course, this is a cab-high topper. A high-rise topper will weigh more.

Leers dong have extra honey comb on the roof to support heavy loads thats why they are light and about 500$ cheaper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Super Doody said:
Leers dong have extra honey comb on the roof to support heavy loads thats why they are light and about 500$ cheaper.

I don't know about the honeycomb but around here Leer and ARE are about the same, price-wise. 1000-1200 for a cab-high, 1200-1500 for high rise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77