Can a portable winch be left on while driving ?

EricGagne

Adventurer
This may seem like a very stupid question but it wouldn't be my first :sombrero:

I'm looking at my options to install a winch on a Tacoma and one possibility is a portable one.

Since they're heavy, easily over 100 lbs, and I travel alone I don't see myself trying to install it in the middle of nowhere when I'm stuck so I'm wondering if I can put it on the receiver before leaving and leave it there for the duration of the trip.

If I'm not mistaking, these winches stick out more on the front than permanently installed ones which means they are more far from the mounting points on the frame. I suppose that puts more stress on the frame so I'm wondering if that would be too much when driving at 70 km/h on washboards or bumpy roads.

Can I do that or I portable winches meant to be installed when needed and removed once the recovery is complete ?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
That is where mine rides:
ssnow.JPG

EricGagne

Adventurer
Someone on our french forum in Quebec said it won't be any more stress on the frame than my M101 when I tow it in the same roads. I guess that makes sense.

I like the idea of a portable winch. I'd rather not change the front bumper so I'm thinking of adding a Warn Trans4mers with receiver to my new Tacoma and a M6000 portable winch. I know 6000 isn't that much but it's a lot lighter than the 9.5 (72 lbs vs 104) and I can always use a snatch block to double the strength.

JPK

Explorer
A good way to lighten up any winch is to switch out the wire for synthetic winch rope and then switch the roller fairlead or steel hawse fairlead for an aluminum hawse fairlead.

I calculated the weight savings a while ago, but iirc, it was on order of 30lbs for the warn 9.5Ti.

JPK

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have a Warn 8500 that rides on a receiver mount plate the goes into a front receiver on my Sprinter. Good because, as mentioned, you don't have to carry it when you don't need it, and I can waddle it back to the rear receiver and winch from the rear. Never had any issues with noise or instabilty, and while it did trash the front departure angle, I can't think of but two or three times when it mattered, and you can always remove it until you clear the obstacle.

Maybe not as "serious" as winch mounted on a winch bumper, but there are many advantages to the approach.

DSCN1484.jpg

P1000634.jpg

stkshooter

Observer
My .02

You can feel the extra weight and steering has a weighted feel when driving. You will also notice the suspension travels more on bumps unless you have / add heavy duty shocks or something to tame it. My front end sags about 1" when Warn 9000i is installed but I have air bags so I add 10-20 psi to maintain stock height and prevent bottoming on dips, etc. I only install winch if going off road or during hunting season, nice not to carry it the other 6-8 mo.

Also, if I am driving down a road that turns nasty and I get stuck. The last thing I want to do is winch myself farther into this mess. With portable winch I can move it to rear receiver and winch myself backwards and exit the area. Just make sure to carry farm jack because if your receivers are burried in mud your going to need it.

Tip: Your going to need long cables to reach rear receiver. Find an elec. motor repair company that rebuilds the city waste water motors and they can prob. sell you 25' cable removed from old motors. Many times these cables are replaced with new ones and the old are sealed in rubber hose and still in good condition. Much cheaper than buying a rear receiver cable kit. Also you can buy aftermarket quick connectors and using a dremel tool grind down the inside tab on warn quick connector so any universal will fit warns. I just saved you $250

Good Luck!

4ThisiswhyIhaveawinchonmyvehicle.jpg

greentruck

Adventurer
The big problem with this idea:

There are some places where you might stop that you'll need a lock on such a portable prize if you were to step away from your vehicle.

Just saying.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Problem solved.
Hitch-Pin-Padlock250740.jpg

I've had a hitch mounted winch for about two years now. I've really liked it because my truck is my DD also. I believe my winch would wear/weather much much faster if it was permanently bolted on. My suspension sets down about 0.5" with the winch attached. Noticeable... but not a big deal... just need to upgrade the springs a bit.

For a cheap electrical wire extension to reach the rear, buy a 20' jumper cable, and replace the ends with some quick-connectors.

D

Deleted member 9101

The big problem with this idea:

There are some places where you might stop that you'll need a lock on such a portable prize if you were to step away from your vehicle.

Just saying.

Humm..I don't know about the rest of you..but I can lock the receiver..and get the bolts tight enough on the mount where its not going to come off with out some serious tools.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Smittybuilt had this at SEMA....they've been lagging a bit in bringing it to market.....but they're claiming it will be out in the next 3-4 months...looks pretty awesome to me!

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/80.htm

That does look like an interesting solution to the problem. For example it would probably save me some serious money because I could just add a front receiver and be done. Anything else for my Astro would have to be full custom, both front and rear ($$$).

The one question I have is: Weight. Beyond just the weight of the winch and the receiver up front, now you have a lot of extra steel. Not only is this probably not a "portable" solution that you can move front-to-back as needed, but I would think you'd have to factor all that weight into your suspension considerations... Still, I'd like to see it.

MunkeyTX

Observer
That does look like an interesting solution to the problem.

For a winching platform it looks pretty good. I would be nervous as hell about using those shackles as a recovery point being that they are off of the centerline of the hitch. Now don't get me wrong, I've yanked, and been yanked many-a-time from the hitch on my 4Runner...but not having the pulling point in the middle of the hitch just seems like an accident waiting to happen. Just my two centavos. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete