Can I use a carabiner?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have an odd connection for my trailer safety chains to my towing rig. I have to thread each chain through an eye bolt (up under the bumper) and back on itself, then attach the link. And it only slides through at one angle. A nuisance and time consuming.
I found an oval Black Diamond spring loaded carabiner in my garage "junk bin" with a 2000 kg weight rating.
Any reason I can't use this type of carabiner to attach these safety chains to the rig? :confused:

safari.gif

Ed

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I would think it's safer to use a quick link.

View attachment 12441

OK, that said, I do use my old suspect (or known) 'biners and slings for rigging stuff... As to whether or not it's safe, though, my guess is that it would be safe, but being aluminum I would worry that the steel chain and steel eyes would wear it down.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ed

Not an official endorsement, but it seems reasonable to me. Andrew Walker uses a couple of hooks similar to http://www.crbrophy.com/image/scl4lrg.jpg
He posted a picture of his set up somewhere.

If you check out the safety chains and S hooks at http://www.crbrophy.com/tccx.html#tshx you can see what is commonly used.

Reading the specs on quick links a Class 111 hitch would use 17/32" S hook with a maximum load of 5000 lbs. Your carabineer has a rating of 4400 lbs.

Safety wise you may be better off buying a couple of latched hooks at a hardware store or trailer supply house.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

Willman

Martyn said:
Ed

Not an official endorsement, but it seems reasonable to me. Andrew Walker uses a couple of hooks similar to http://www.crbrophy.com/image/scl4lrg.jpg
He posted a picture of his set up somewhere.

I use something similar....But instead of cable....Mine is chain....

Works great and is very fast!

A boat or trailer store near ya gotta have something like above!

Happy Turkey Day!

DaveInDenver

Refilling my coffee and was thinking. Most climbing gear is rated in dynamic forces of kilonewtons (kN), not kilograms (kg). That's just something that popped in the noggin, but you have the 'biner in front of you and that's the one and only rating that matters. Anyway, the conversion is 1 kN is 225 lbf. If it's designed as aid gear or for continuous use, then it would have a static kg rating.

One thing to think about is how climbing gear is rated. They'd probably have a maximum one time force rating and not necessarily a working load rating (unless it's rated for aid or rescue, for example). I don't know the UIAA standard for a 'biner, but a very short length (2.6 m) of example rope has to withstand a certain number of falls with it hung over an edge with a 80 kg weight. The rope was to take a minimum of 5 of these falls without damage. In Martyn's post he mentions a steel clip, which has a rating of 5,000 lbs working, but it probably would have a much higher breaking strength.

So, I guess all I'm saying is maybe some looking into it might be in order.

DaktariEd

Good points, thanks....

I like the latched hooks idea.

There's a trailer supply place down the road. I'll check it out sometime...soon.

safari.gif

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I have lots of carabiners around, but I don't use them for automotive purposes. I strongly suspect the load ratings for aluminum carabiners are figured differently than those for steel links. Even when a carbiner is attached to a solid bolt in rock, the dynamic load on the other end is attenuated by the stretch in the rope. I could be totally wrong, but there's enough doubt to make me avoid mixing uses.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
DaktariEd said:
I have an odd connection for my trailer safety chains to my towing rig. I have to thread each chain through an eye bolt (up under the bumper) and back on itself, then attach the link. And it only slides through at one angle. A nuisance and time consuming.
I found an oval Black Diamond spring loaded carabiner in my garage "junk bin" with a 2000 kg weight rating.
Any reason I can't use this type of carabiner to attach these safety chains to the rig? :confused:

safari.gif

Ed

Gotta be honest. This seems crazy to me, you have a lot riding on the line if you ever need the safety chains to provide a fail-safe. The caribeiners could do it... sure. But it is such a tiny investment to do this once and do it right.

Once I had a trailer come loose and the chains held and did there job, Ed, your stuff is SO NICE, don't take the chance that they might hold when you really need them.

I like the cables with the quick disconnect on them, my local Walmart carries them for under 20 bucks. I am probably more hyper about not screwing around when it comes to safety, brakes, steering, and hitch attachments.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

teotwaki

Excelsior!
DaveInDenver said:
I would think it's safer to use a quick link.

View attachment 12441

OK, that said, I do use my old suspect (or known) 'biners and slings for rigging stuff... As to whether or not it's safe, though, my guess is that it would be safe, but being aluminum I would worry that the steel chain and steel eyes would wear it down.

Those things in the picture are less than three bucks each at Wally world

DaktariEd

Rezarf <>< said:
Gotta be honest. This seems crazy to me, you have a lot riding on the line if you ever need the safety chains to provide a fail-safe. The caribeiners could do it... sure. But it is such a tiny investment to do this once and do it right.

Yup! That's why I like to ask around and get good input.
I think the steel latched hooks are probably made for this kind of thing. I'll be down at the trailer parts supplier over the weekend, checking it out
If I find out differently, I'll stick with my current beefy, but cumbersome Quick Links.
This is a great site to get good info & different input.
Most helpful!
safari.gif

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Don't use the 'biner. Climbing gear ratings are given with a lot of climbing specific assumptions in mind. For example, the ratings assume the forces are applied by nice gentle bits of rope at either end, for one thing. 'biners also are fickle bits of gear and they like to be loaded just right. Any cross load or twist on a 'biner and that aluminum sheers pretty easily.

I wouldn't trust a 'biner for that application at all. Not at all.

DaveInDenver

Rezarf <>< said:
This seems crazy to me, you have a lot riding on the line if you ever need the safety chains to provide a fail-safe.
Well, in the interest of fairness, there's a lot more than a run away trailer riding on whether or not a piece of climbing pro works, as in your life... I would expect that the safety ratings of climbing gear isn't just made up numbers. But like Flounder says the UIAA ratings are done with an assumption of a climbing application. But OTOH, one nice thing about a failed 'biner is they have an indication. The gate locks shut when they stretch to failure (that's why they have that hook in the gate).

absolute

Adventurer
Not a Hijack... More of a lesson learned.

A couple weeks ago I was heading to a buddy's house to pick up his car, and was using a car hauler from a different buddy. It had a slip collar neck on it and it popped off at 40MPH when I hit a few bumps:oops: !(Triple check yourself) Luckily the chains did work, and saved the (empty) trailer from punching my diff by 2-3 inches. He used HD steel hooks, I should look at the rating b/c I was happier than a pig in ******** when I got out of my truck!!:)

Benthosboy

DaveInDenver said:
Well, in the interest of fairness, there's a lot more than a run away trailer riding on whether or not a piece of climbing pro works, as in your life...

I'm in total agreement with Rezarf on this one. After many miles of pulling everything from small trailers up to heavy haulage well in excess of 100 tons, (224,000 lb's to you folk :) ), experience has taught me to use the right kit for the job, irrespective of the cost. Then you can hitch up, click on the safety gear and admire the view instead of glancing nervously in your mirrors every few seconds and wondering if all is well behind because you saved a few quid, sorry, bucks :oops: , by using something a bit cheaper than the real thing.

Sorry to sound like an old woman but I always think how I'd feel if my trailer broke free and careered across the carriageway into the path of an oncoming car that was being driven by my dear old dad......

Martyn.

DaktariEd

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.:26_7_2:
But I do want to stress that I am not simply trying to save some money.
Money is the least of my concerns.
I am looking for a safe, strong connection, but something easier than my current setup. The carabiner came to mind first since I found one out in the garage while I was cleaning.

Not to worry...I don't cut costs on safety, nor my rig (most folks who have seen my rig will vouch for that! ;) )

Cheers!

Ed
safari.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1