Can You ATW A 1995 Chevy?

Samkissing

Hey Y'all!

I have a stock 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 ext cab with zero rust and 130k miles.
20210701_111454~2.jpg

I want to cut the bed off and weld up a custom camper shell, similar to this Jeep Comanche, for full time living with my wife.
030045a6dc26e5cd4ab974753d474df5.jpg
Instagram

My main question is, would this make a capable Around the World (ATW) vehicle? We plan on staying state side, but don't want to be limited should we feel a calling. (It seems like a proven platform, inspired by the Chevy Provan Tigers)

If "Yes", what modifications would I need to do in order to best carry the camper and perform off-road in moderate conditions?

If "No" what vehicle is considered the best international expedition vehicle I could snag for around $12-20k? (I bought the truck for $7500)

A budget like that would obviously imply an older vehicle, but still something that would be the best bang for our buck, and still be able to carry a camper like the one above on its back. (We've also had our eyes on a 4x4 van conversion but I would anticipate long term reliability issues, especially overseas)

Thank you for any and all wisdom!

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Camper? It all comes down to weight. Comfort = weight. I would skip air bags, etc., and go straight to new, properly sized rear springs. There are many companies that do this.

Round the World? Why not. You don't need DEF. All the usual caveats about spares, tools, and manuals apply. (I had two Cheverolet Blazers in Africa for years and now have a Mercedes Benz in the US. It can be done, but can be pricey at times.)

I am a big fan of big tires, shocks, and a suspension travel, so I would look at a mild lift from Cognito or similar, with heavy duty shocks.

Samkissing

Camper? It all comes down to weight. Comfort = weight. I would skip air bags, etc., and go straight to new, properly sized rear springs. There are many companies that do this.

Round the World? Why not. You don't need DEF. All the usual caveats about spares, tools, and manuals apply. (I had two Cheverolet Blazers in Africa for years and now have a Mercedes Benz in the US. It can be done, but can be pricey at times.)

I am a big fan of big tires, shocks, and a suspension travel, so I would look at a mild lift from Cognito or similar, with heavy duty shocks.
Thank you Diplo! I appreciate your thoughtful answer! I'm new to this overland lingo, what is "DEF"? You mentioned I didn't need it

Your truck is a great start. My brother has one just like it, except 300k miles, still drives it.
anyway, whether its the right truck… just depends on how fancy you want your camper to be. Fancy=heavy.
I also love that jeep camper you posted. My camper has a similar feel, just bigger. In my opinion, it can be done easily with a half ton truck with minimal upgrades, as long as you think about being lightweight as you build. My truck is 1/4 ton and drives great with or without the camper. Id go for it! I have a build thread in the pop up camper section

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Other limiting factors for ATW travel might be the length and height.

If you will cross the Darien gap or go to Europe/Asia, a 20' shipping container is likely in your future. A stock Extended-cab short-bed will barely fit (232" internal length max), and a longbed will not. The height of the door also gets a lot of people in trouble - 89.75" is too short for a fixed-roof camper, and depending on how tall you setup the truck's suspension, even a pop-top may not fit if the bed/tray is high.

Ok, I'll just ship RORO or open-cube, you say. Well, keep your overall dimensions in mind even then. If your truck exceeds the standard container length, you'll be paying more because you're using more deck space (or a 40' open-cube ($$)). (Not to mention all the security headaches that come from not being able to seal your rig inside a container.)

Just some food for thought. I'm going through the same calculus right now - I'd like to just get a 3/4-ton truck and put my payload worries behind me, but travel outside North America is on our bucket list too. (Oddly enough, my "mini" van poptop Astro will fit in a shipping container, if I stow the roof rack and solar panels...)

EDIT: Once you're on the ground in your target destination, size continues to be a factor. I keep hearing from some experienced travelers that some of the coolest villages in South America are inaccessible to anything as large as a full size truck. (And I can personally vouch that the same is true in a lot of the old cities of Europe.) You'll have to park outside the city and walk or cab into the city center.

Last edited:

Samkissing

My truck is 1/4 ton and drives great with or without the camper. Id go for it! I have a build thread in the pop up camper section
I looked at your whole build thread! Well done sir! Very inspiring, and it definitely gave me confidence :)

Why did you go with thin wall steel over aluminum? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons :)

And did you make any changes to your suspension? I'm trying to find a good brand that supports '95 Chevys, that's reliable above all else

Samkissing

Other limiting factors for ATW travel might be the length and height.

If you will cross the Darien gap or go to Europe/Asia, a 20' shipping container is likely in your future. A stock Extended-cab short-bed will barely fit (232" internal length max), and a longbed will not. The height of the door also gets a lot of people in trouble - 89.75" is too short for a fixed-roof camper, and depending on how tall you setup the truck's suspension, even a pop-top may not fit if the bed/tray is high.

Ok, I'll just ship RORO or open-cube, you say. Well, keep your overall dimensions in mind even then. If your truck exceeds the standard container length, you'll be paying more because you're using more deck space (or a 40' open-cube ($$)). (Not to mention all the security headaches that come from not being able to seal your rig inside a container.)

Just some food for thought. I'm going through the same calculus right now - I'd like to just get a 3/4-ton truck and put my payload worries behind me, but travel outside North America is on our bucket list too. (Oddly enough, my "mini" van poptop Astro will fit in a shipping container, if I stow the roof rack and solar panels...)

EDIT: Once you're on the ground in your target destination, size continues to be a factor. I keep hearing from some experienced travelers that some of the coolest villages in South America are inaccessible to anything as large as a full size truck. (And I can personally vouch that the same is true in a lot of the old cities of Europe.) You'll have to park outside the city and walk or cab into the city center.
That is very insightful information! So unfortunately it looks like my 8" lift is out of the question... ;) Haha

I'll definitely take this all into consideration, thank you! Some more research will need to be done on the places we'd like to visit if we go overseas.

Now I'm curious what is a good alternative to a 1/2ton truck for full time live in a camper. Those fancy Toyota Troopy's are a little to rare/expensive

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, nothing is impossible - it's just something to highlight since you were specifically asking about ATW travel. Money solves a lot of problems, so build whatever you like if you're willing to pay extra get to get it shipped. Alternatively, keep your goals domestic, and a bigger truck might make you happier.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me... I'd swap to a one ton and then you can have a nice and comfortable camper. You'll spend quite a bit of money getting a decades old 1/2 ton to carry a camper with out issue. The one ton will come with heavier duty everything and be about the same size as what you have now. Beat part is it will probably get the same gas mileage.

Samkissing

Yeah, nothing is impossible - it's just something to highlight since you were specifically asking about ATW travel. Money solves a lot of problems, so build whatever you like if you're willing to pay extra get to get it shipped. Alternatively, keep your goals domestic, and a bigger truck might make you happier.
That's also true, we're on a budget so keeping those things in mind is important

Samkissing

If it was me... I'd swap to a one ton and then you can have a nice and comfortable camper. You'll spend quite a bit of money getting a decades old 1/2 ton to carry a camper with out issue. The one ton will come with heavier duty everything and be about the same size as what you have now. Beat part is it will probably get the same gas mileage.
Thats an interesting proposition! What year/model/make would you recommend? I'm open to anything, as long as it's capable and reliable long term (like the truck I have now could go for 300k miles)

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 9101

Thats an interesting proposition! What year/model/make would you recommend? I'm open to anything, as long as it's capable and reliable long term (like the truck I have now could go for 300k miles)

Thank you!

Any one ton would work, but I'd get the newest I could afford...just get a gas and not a Diesel (diesel has some expensive headaches). The Chevy/GMC 6.0 and Fords 6.2 both go damn near forever on minimal maintenance and parts are plentiful and cheap. There is no shortage of either that get beat on as company trucks and still last hundreds of thousands of miles.

The best part about a heavier duty truck is the fact that you won't be placing excess stress on anypart of it. A 1/2 ton hauling two people, all their gear, plus a camper is going to be pushed to the max. A one ton will take it all in stride.

I have a feeling that once you start adding up everything that you want/need you'll quickly find that a 1/2 ton truck lacks the payload rating to do so legally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77