Canadian Patrol GQ build up

39Ronin

Adventurer
David,
Nice to see your rig comming along. I just started my veggie install, the rebuilt engine is still not fully broken in yet but by the time I finish the intstall it should be. We need to wheel these two:safari-rig: legendary rigs together someday.:safari-rig:

Abitibi

Explorer
YES!
Sure need to put them to work! Mid-January maybe?

Got a few more updates on my truck, completed the on-board compressor set up last night. The 3 gallon tank is now hooked up and running. The tank is mounted below the floor and still has enough clearance (above lower part of the frame).
d179e1fc-c7d7-add3.jpg

d179e1fa-5d8a-f9d0.jpg

The air line comes up from the tank to the rear of the interior cargo area, ready to service all 4 corners.
d179e1fc-c8bf-dde4.jpg

I've also installed a 50amps 24v-12v converter running it's own fuse panel. No pics yet but the panel is a marine application that can easily be modified to separate the power source (ignition / always ON / accessory). The converter is from solarconverter.com

Now about to start working on building the interior cabinets... Gotta go!

Cheers
Mr. D

Abitibi

Explorer
Camperizing!

Hi all,

My next project will be to build my camperized interior. After a lot of drawing and seeing how little leg rooms the kids were getting at the back I decided to move things around.

I brought back my 3rd row dicky bench and ditched the middle seats. As it stands there's way more leg room, better view and safer as well (no more kids opening rear doors while I'm driving)!

The plan is to build a storage box at the back leveled with the folded bench to be part of the bed platform. I'll also build a fake floor in the middle (front) for storage. Pictures will explain way better what I have in mind but it will basically be a modular system to maximize storage when camping (add modules) and space when daily driving (remove non-needed storage).

I'll need to relocate my batteries again but for now they are temporary behind the front seats. They'll either stay in the center behind the front seats or above the left wheel arch inside a storage box.

I have two young kids (that I also take camping) so I need to keep that in mind in the drawing plans...

Here's the first step, moving seats around and prepping for cabinets.

Cheers,
Mr. D

d179e1fb-c754-9959.jpg

d179e1fb-c769-a19f.jpg

Last edited:

trailz

Love your truck!!!! Just hope you don't catch a rock on that air tank........your truck could end up popping like a :lurk:

Abitibi

Explorer
If you guys think it's such a concern I could always move it somewhere else (inside...) but it clears the frame by at least 2 or 3". Bash plate to cover or move I guess.

Thanks for the input.:ylsmoke:

Mr. D

reece146

Automotive Artist
120 psi of compressed air is going to do SFA if you dent it on a rock and spring a leak. There will be a loud "whoosh" noise and nothing else.

It's fine where it is. Protection would be ok but be wary of trapping mud and junk for it to rust quickly. Think cage vs plate.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks again.

So I guess at 150psi it will do a "WHOOSH" instead of the 120psi "whoosh"? Seriously though, I thought it'd be fine there but if I see it's getting bashed too much then I can always reconsider.

Cheers
Mr. D

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Be careful of trying to visit a dam site in the US or Canada. They will see the air tank when they look under your vehicle and have you on the ground with guns aimed at your head :D :D :D

Patman

Explorer
I wouldn't worry so much about the tank, but the drain valve should be addressed. Even if you just tack on a collar to protect it. The way it is now it might as well be a hook! :)

A simple angle iron "backbone" with a collar for the valve would be a quick fix for protection.

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey Patman,

It's already on the "to do" list. I wanted to replace it with something different when I mounted the tank or a blocking bracket as you suggested.

Thanks all to participate to this post!

Cheers,
Mr. D

armyrv

Observer
Looking good. At least you are starting off with a quality truck! :cool:

I too would have to suggest another location for the air tank, or putting something over it to protect it from damage. I mounted my air tank inside just for that reason. I had enough room to place it where the spare tire use to sit under the truck, but I hit way too much stuff when on the trail to chance it.

My only other suggestion would be to get rid of the chrome brush guard and install/build a real bumper on the front end. Sadly most all stock bumpers on trucks are junk and will get busted up pretty easily.

Keep it up. I hope to see it on the road on my next trip out west ;)

Abitibi

Explorer
Happy New Year everyone!

My truck is at an interesting stage right now. The parts for the next mods are all coming together lately but not yet ready to be mounted, makes for a messy garage! I've got all my lift kit parts just about ready, the custom snorkel parts are all here (just need to build the new airbox)...

Last weekend I removed the headliner as a preparation for the roof insulation and mounting of ceiling shelves.

I started the cabinets as well, that's one project that I've been itching to get started! But I so wish I had a even floor! I'll have pictures when I'm further ahead but not much time for it right now.

armyrv, the new bumper is already on my "to do" list but I have to say, that chrome bushbar is actually very strong. That's what the Mercedes that cut me off a few months ago has to say anyway...:xxrotflma As for the airtank I'm planing on putting a guard for it as I build the sliders, interior space is too precious...

Cheers!
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk