Can't think of a catchy name but I'm ALL IN now.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
More progress. Cabinet framed up and secured.
This will have 2 way drawers where the door is and the bottom of the other part will be electrical and maybe heat.
I want an Espar setup but dang. Them things are pricey for a gas version. Any alternative ideas are more than welcome. Would love to keep the flame out of the cabin but a big buddy is more my price range.

ert01

Adventurer
In Canada, our electrical code requires fine stranded cables to be wrapped with a copper foil tape before being terminated in a set screw lug like that.

The idea is that the copper tape will protect the strands and they won't break off when the lug is tightened.

That said, in the past on my own vehicle, I have had good results by putting the lug together as per normal (insert cable, tighten lug) and then applying heat to the lug with a torch and filling the cable and void with solder after the fact.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Tinning is controversial. I do it. Lots don't. Pros and cons. Do what feels good. That's literally my advice. Try it without solder, tug on it. Try it with solder, test again.

Ok I just giggled. "Do what feels good." "Tug on it." I gotta sleep.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
That said, in the past on my own vehicle, I have had good results by putting the lug together as per normal (insert cable, tighten lug) and then applying heat to the lug with a torch and filling the cable and void with solder after the fact.

This is my normal operating procedure as well.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Progress is slow. Work and sleep have consumed me.
Here's all I did Saturday....

Better than nothing I guess. I barely remember doing it. Glad it looks ok.:D

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Vacation = progress.
Got the tambour door hardware and couldn't wait to install it so that ment skipping ahead a few steps to paint and upholstery as I wanted to install this door only once.

They packed it with 6 brand new t-shirts! Sweet!

Found some fabric with backing for spray glue and grabbed some foam.

Some black spray bomb and voila.

Now tambour time!!

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Tambour! This door turned out fantastic! Smooth action. Nice weight. I love it. I can't stop rolling it up and down.

dcguillory

Adventurer
Well, I wasn't too sure about it until I saw the finished product. Very nice! How noisy is it going to be on the road?

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Other than the aluminum casing on the tambour slats it's all plastic so it's not a clangy rattle. I doubt it will be louder than the toolbox full of tools under the bed. It feels like there's enough weight to it to keep it quiet though. I'll report back once I get it installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven