Canter front diff prop shaft help

4x4Truckoverland

Hi,
My front prop shaft to the front diff on my FG649 has too much play in the splines.
It doesn’t look like I can buy a replacement ?. I’m waiting for a quote back from Hardy Spicer, but I know it will be pricey.
many suggestion where I can find a full replacement shaft? I’ve tried a few wreckers but no luck.
I have seen where these shafts do flog out occasionally. I am going to get the super single upgrade and spring upgrade.
should I get the shaft extended a bit (maybe 25mm) when they rebuild to accomadate the raising of the transfer box with the new springs? Or just keep the same length? Hoping someone can suggest where I can buy a new/2nd hand complete shaft. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've never seen one before, are they a slip shaft or slip yoke? Either way i'd look into converting to a common 1350 series shaft, I saw an FG once up close and it's front diff resembled the Montero rear diff. Post up a picture of the 3rd member and pinion flange if possible, on the Montero the rear pinion flange matches the Ford F350 flange except it has a female pilot. I was able to use a commonly available companion yoke from the F-series with a simple machined male/male pilot bushing to literally bolt on the yoke. Not sure if any of this is helpful to you but it's what i've got.

4x4Truckoverland

Thanks for that. This is a picture of what it basically looks like. I'm not sure off all the dimensions. I'll have to measure when i get it back. It has a damn Double Cardan joint which makes things more tricky.
It is currently with Hardy Spicer getting a quote.
Prop shaft.JPG

Toasty

Oh, yeah dude just have a new slipshaft welded in. It can literally be from any vehicle. I'm sure they'll choose something adequate and common from your region.

4x4Truckoverland

Oh, yeah dude just have a new slipshaft welded in. It can literally be from any vehicle. I'm sure they'll choose something adequate and common from your region.
Yes that’s what I was hoping to do. Just get a new shaft welded in. The say it’s difficult to get right. ? I would have though a reasonably simple job for a shaft engineer place??
I’ll wait and see what they come back with, but the way they were talking seemed like needed to build a whole new one. The uni joints seemed ok to me.

Toasty

It could be that they want to charge you more, honestly it's a super easy every day job for a driveshaft shop. Like there's nothing weird or oddball about changing out a slip shaft and or retubing the shaft itself. I've had probably a dozen done for various Mitsus which are super uncommon here in the US, my fully custom shaft was like $450 and delivered in two business days from out of state. That was a 1350 shaft with a double cardan joint, upgrade slip shaft and guaranteed not to break from Tom Woods Driveshaft (supposedly the best shafts in the 4x4 world) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk