Canyonlands The Maze. Adventures in my back yard!

spikemd

Explorer
Nice pics. I love that area of the country. We took a trip to Canyonlands last October exploring Beef Basin and up through Elephant Hill. I just wish it was closer to home... 17 hours straight to get there from Sacramento, but worth it...

Four years ago, I also did a fantastic kayak trip down the Green River for 4 days putting in at Green River state park and pulling out at Mineral Bottom. I didn't realize I was floating down the edge of the Maze district. Can't wait to get back.

Nice Jeep, but I really liked those Land Rovers....

rubiconscott

Observer
First of all, those are some awesome Pics! It gets me even more pumped for my trip to Moab! My brother and I are heading down to do the WRT in about a week and a half. As far as wildlife in the area, what should I be on the look out for? As far as bugs...would a bug repellant with deet be good enough? Are they only out at certain times of the day?

The insects on the White Rim arent going to be as bad as the Maze. It has been windy so they haven't been too bad. I don't bother with bug spray, the gnats don't care. Have you done Elephant Hill?

DigB

No, is it something worth seeing... I'm in Billings on my way south as we speak, we hit the trail tomorrow! Can't wait!

rubiconscott

Observer
Elephant hill is way more fun than the white rim. I don't know why everyone does the white rim. It is close to Moab and has big epic views, but it is boring compared to the Maze and Elephant hill. There are a ton of people on it every day so it can get crowded.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo. So which Jeep do you like better and why? I've owned an LJ with coil overs that was pretty built, Atlas T-case, bump stops etc and sold it to get a Land Cruiser for the family because the JK's turned me off. Now they are finally growing on me... Go figure

Not only are you in the unique position to drive both the LJ and the four door JK, but you get to really use them in their element.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Great pics and info! And an even better job!!

Welcome to ExPo! And thank you for your Service!

If you haven't checked out Military Jeepers yet, I invite you to!

You are a Vet, and own a Jeep (plus drive one for work! Cool!) so you meet the requirements!

Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!

:coffeedrink:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
If you were at the Hans Flat Ranger Station two summers ago.. I met you, coming in late one night, and you guys there at the station were very cool. Had a fantasitc trip. Thank you for sharing your adventures and pics!

rubiconscott

Observer
Welcome to ExPo. So which Jeep do you like better and why? I've owned an LJ with coil overs that was pretty built, Atlas T-case, bump stops etc and sold it to get a Land Cruiser for the family because the JK's turned me off. Now they are finally growing on me... Go figure

Not only are you in the unique position to drive both the LJ and the four door JK, but you get to really use them in their element.

The only way I would buy a JK is if it had a Hemi or Diesel in it. I love my LJ... we have a 2004 WJ for our family rig. I am slowly building it and it does very well off and on road. I plan on putting JK Rubicon axles under it and getting it to be able to keep up with my LJ.

rubiconscott

Observer
If you were at the Hans Flat Ranger Station two summers ago.. I met you, coming in late one night, and you guys there at the station were very cool. Had a fantasitc trip. Thank you for sharing your adventures and pics!

That was not me. This is my first year in the Maze. I was at Dinosaur National Monument before this...

rubiconscott

Observer
Great pics and info! And an even better job!!

Welcome to ExPo! And thank you for your Service!

If you haven't checked out Military Jeepers yet, I invite you to!

You are a Vet, and own a Jeep (plus drive one for work! Cool!) so you meet the requirements!

Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!

:coffeedrink:

I joined Military Jeepers a few years back but I did not find it very interesting. I am not able to be social or go on runs with anyone so I just use the internet for research and photo sharing.

maybe if I ever work in a park that is near civilization I will get back into the club scene.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Rubinscott,

Thanks for posting. Good timing on this thread as it swayed our direction for post OVX 12 explorations to the Maze. We checked in wtih Ranger Gary on Tues afternoon with no reservations or real plan until he put one together for us. That might have been you that came in when we were wrapping up with him. Tan LJ Rubicon with matching Horizon trailer. We worked our way top to bottom so to speak. I'll get a trip report together in a seperate thread but we stayed high for the first two days staying at North Point the first night, day tripped to Panorama point and Cleopatra's Chair. Second night at the Neck - great site. Day 3 was down the Flint Trail to check out the Golden Stairs and Maze Overlook and then back to Sunset Pass for the night. Day 4 was out to the Doll House and back to Teapot rock for the night. Day 5 we exited to Hite and back on the road home. Guidance and recommendations for camp sites from Gary were great. We also had a copy of David Day's book on Favorite Jeep Roads and Hiking trails that helped with things to do and see. It was plenty windy at the end of the week and we drove towards home in a virtual dust storm Sat. morning.

Sample photo using all the road.

RoadDown.jpg

Welcome to Expo.

Bill and Pam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online